• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's a Scottish Bank Holiday?

Skeletor

One thing that annoys me about buying a Doctor Who or Harry Potter calender is that those available in the States don't usually have American holidays on them. They have Commonwealth holidays, but very few Americans celebrate Diwalli or Guy Fawkes Night or Scottish Bank Holidays. Those marketed for the US should have Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Presidents Day, Martin Luther King Day, etc.

So just what is a Scottish Bank Holiday anyway?

That's the point of a British calendar sold in the US. It's about the charm of Harry Potter or Doctor Who. Deliberately void of the practicality of a basic calendar. A novelty item without real purpose.

Where do we draw the line on such things?

I suppose if the Brits export a Tardis (or an Anglia) to the states, it had better be one that has left-hand drive. :p

Last edited:
One thing that annoys me about buying a Doctor Who or Harry Potter calender is that those available in the States don't usually have American holidays on them. They have Commonwealth holidays, but very few Americans celebrate Diwalli or Guy Fawkes Night or Scottish Bank Holidays. Those marketed for the US should have Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Presidents Day, Martin Luther King Day, etc.

So just what is a Scottish Bank Holiday anyway?
All!!!!! British calendars have them on they are now public holidays (used to be just a holiday for the bank)if you are in Scotland there a couple of holidays which have a different date,England has one that's a different date ,same for Wales and N.I., not all British people are Hindus so don't celebrate Diwali, some British people I imagine celebrate Martin Luther King day, and not everybody in the UK gets bank holiday off.
Suggestion put in a request to have an American version

That's my point, those sold in the U.S. Should have our holidays. The inclusion of Commonwealth holidays is ok as long as they have ours too.

Banks holidays are national day's off work at the beginning or end of the week, making a long weekend. Things like May Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, St Andrews Day etc. The one's just called "bank holiday" on calendars are seemingly random days with no religious or cultural significance.

I'm pretty certain that people from Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand say zed too, as well as people from India and other parts of the world that were once part of the British Empire, except us Yanks. I'm wondering why, because our English settlers used zed.

Interesting.

Though I knew the letter "z" in German is pronounced "tset".

Last edited:
That's my point, those sold in the U.S. Should have our holidays. The inclusion of Commonwealth holidays is ok as long as they have ours too.

Why? Aren't you Canadian? Why do you care what is contained in calendars printed for sale in the USA?

I think you read that wrong. I'm an American ranting because the Doctor Who and Harry Potter calendars sold in the U.S. don't usually include US holidays. But they do include British Commonwealth holidays that few Americans observe.

I think you read that wrong. I'm an American ranting because the Doctor Who and Harry Potter calendars sold in the U.S. don't usually include US holidays. But they do include British Commonwealth holidays that few Americans observe.

You're right. It was unclear to me why you are upset about it. My guess is that Doctor Who and Harry Potter are British creations, and the calendars are prepared/licensed/distributed from Great Britain by a British company which has seen no compelling need to add American holidays to it. It actually sounds kind of cool to have a calendar listing a foreign country's proud holidays. You just need to write in the American holiday dates for yourself, like you would list important birthdates, appointments, deadlines or other information personal to yourself.

Or perhaps it's a marketing strategy, based on the assumption that American fans of those British series would want to know British holidays to fully steep themselves in the cultural experience. After all, I doubt Doctor Who or Harry Potter themselves would be concerned about American holidays. LOL

You're right. It was unclear to me why you are upset about it. My guess is that Doctor Who and Harry Potter are British creations, and the calendars are prepared/licensed/distributed from Great Britain by a British company which has seen no compelling need to add American holidays to it. It actually sounds kind of cool to have a calendar listing a foreign country's proud holidays. You just need to write in the American holiday dates for yourself, like you would list important birthdates, appointments, deadlines or other information personal to yourself.

Or perhaps it's a marketing strategy, based on the assumption that American fans of those British series would want to know British holidays to fully steep themselves in the cultural experience. After all, I doubt Doctor Who or Harry Potter themselves would be concerned about American holidays. LOL
no I think it's purely made for the United Kingdom but somebody is importing it into the United States.

Yes, it seems so obvious, doesn't it?
I haven't seen it ,I look at really old Doctor Who things, have no interest in Harry potter at all, so I wouldn't have any idea.

I'm mainly on archive.org looking for epublisher size things

Doctor Who is supposed to be from another planet, I know very little about Harry potter but I have to say why in the religion section.

Doctor Who is supposed to be from another planet, I know very little about Harry potter but I have to say why in the religion section.

I watched a couple of old Doctor Who shows many, many years ago and can't stand Harry Potter stuff although some of my kids liked the books when they were really young.

New Threads

Top Bottom