• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What would you call someone obsessed with normality?

For me the norm, basis for normality, is boring. Life without a few quirks is abnormal.

From έθιμα (ethima)
customs, traditions, rites, mores
  1. Bad: ethimatist
  2. Worse: ethimaphile
  3. Worst: ethimamaniac

lol so you’re saying this thread should be banned.
Just kidding!

Looked to me that the woman was simply ignorant and little else. Clearly there's no big deal about people melting string cheese in a microwave. No need to ponder how unusual others may perceive such a thing.

Though if anyone finds a link to those who enjoy braunschweiger and marshmellow cream sandwiches, please let me know. (My brother is uhhhh....something else.) :eek:

Without any need to invoke the "N" word. ;)

Note to self: Try microwaving string cheese for 5-7 seconds the next time you get some!

Yep. @Judge When I hear a person talk like that, I remove them from my presence.
Or me from theirs; whichever is faster.

It's what always impressed me about the Star Trek (TOS) episode "Mirror, Mirror".

Left me longing for my own Tantalus Field.

Where you don't make people go away mad, but you just make them go away. Forever. :p

Yes and I have another example involving cheese too. I was digging in to the middle of a wedge of ripe Brie and pulling out the soft stuff, leaving the rind. What other way would make sense?

But the person I was with gasped in horror; I guess in retrospect they thought I should cut a piece off rather than trawl for the soft centre. It didn't occur to me. And hey, that's not a crime! Think it was the first meal I had with someone in a new relationship. Whatever. It set the tone really...

"Normality" is a vague concept. It's based upon your specific community, the social group around you, your personal truths, and even perhaps a bit of amygdala-triggered fear and anxiety. Some are focused upon "sameness" on a more global perspective (politics, religion, community etc),...whereas some autistics are focused upon "sameness" on a more personal perspective (personal routines, etc). Not all neurodivergent, free-thinking individuals are autistic, but I believe most are. I will often drive a different route to a restaurant, the market, wherever,...just to drive my wife nuts,...who believes HER way is the correct way and my way is stupid. My little bit of entertainment for the day, messing with her mind, watching her personal GPS go "recalculating,...recalculating,...recalculating." :p:D
LOL! Wife and I find that taking new routes to get somewhere is fun as long as there's no time pressure to get there. I do it much more often than her, though. I think i have an explorer gene in me. But once I've gone a particular way, I won't go that way again (or not soon) unless it shows an advantage over my regular route which is usually optimized for time.

Normal is just the fat part of the bell curve and it only "normal" relative to the particular social circle you inhabit. Too many people confuse "normal" with being correct and/or morally acceptable. But that's just how humans are. We love our groupthink.

There's also normal for you as an individual. As in the most common state(s) you exist in. People's states fluctuate all the time and "normal" is the range under the fat part of the bell curve distribution of the states you occupy. Normal for me as a person might well be way off from normal for the social group I have to live with, which in turn might be way off the national average.

As a nudist, I think about those differences a lot.

Last edited:
Honestly, I can't even find anything "normal" about being appaled at microwaving cheese. This is a person deeply stuck in their own limited tastebuds. Can you imagine the horror at the thought of cheddar cheese on apple pie? Poor things.
I want to take them in an force feed them green chille, ceviche, sashimi and pickled herring in red wine sauce.

Yes and I have another example involving cheese too. I was digging in to the middle of a wedge of ripe Brie and pulling out the soft stuff, leaving the rind. What other way would make sense?

But the person I was with gasped in horror; I guess in retrospect they thought I should cut a piece off rather than trawl for the soft centre. It didn't occur to me. And hey, that's not a crime! Think it was the first meal I had with someone in a new relationship. Whatever. It set the tone really...

I don't find the moldy brie rind particularly appetizing either. I think of it as a "carry case" to protect the precious brie heart. Come on over, we can all have our own baked baby bries served with my new invention the brie spoon!:p

Well this is horribly gendered and probably shouldn't be said, but the first term that popped into my head was "fishwife".

New Threads

Top Bottom