• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What would I be missing out on if I wasn't on the spectrum

Is this sarcasm? Or is this answering the opposite question and these are things you're missing out by being on spectrum?
When I read it, I just took it as funny sarcasm with a twist of irony. I like sarcasm sometimes as it gives me a good giggle.

I think being an independent thinker and the non-confomist is what I would miss the most.
And not caring if others like it or not. Otherwise I would always be worrying if I was en vogue.
Most people probably don't even realise why they worry about being in style.
I'm glad I can dress the way I am comfortable and not make the main concern of the day
what is the latest colour of lipstick that is fashionable. What if I choose an out of date colour?
Oh, my, what will people think?
I have other things that hold my interests that I find much more enjoyable.

I think being an independent thinker and the non-confomist is what I would miss the most.
And not caring if others like it or not. Otherwise I would always be worrying if I was en vogue.
I'm glad I can dress the way I am comfortable and not make the main concern of the day
what is the latest colour of lipstick that is fashionable. What if I choose an out of date colour?

That's a real thing!? I've seen it on TV but never actually perceived it as a completely real thing. :eek:

Ah, but names change.
Pearly Pink might be the colour of the day and in a few months it might be Orchid Petals.
With Brazilian and Cherry Bomb totally outdated.

Who decides what colour is "in" anyway? Who cares?
All those sitting in a salon paying hundreds of dollars to get a foil wrap or root touch up
while reading the sign: Pastel Pansy lipstick and eyeshadow- A MUST HAVE!
On sale today for $40.00 each. :rolleyes:

But, I don't care.
I think Plum Crazy and Black will always be hot. :D

Yes, And I WILL wear white after Labor day.

Is this sarcasm? Or is this answering the opposite question and these are things you're missing out by being on spectrum?

Sarcasm - If I wasn't on the spectrum I would be neuro-typical. And the character traits described obviously are some of what a neuro-typical person would do - especially to those on the spectrum.

Ah, but names change.
Pearly Pink might be the colour of the day and in a few months it might be Orchid Petals.
With Brazilian and Cherry Bomb totally outdated.

Who decides what colour is "in" anyway? Who cares?
All those sitting in a salon paying hundreds of dollars to get a foil wrap or root touch up
while reading the sign: Pastel Pansy lipstick and eyeshadow- A MUST HAVE!
On sale today for $40.00 each. :rolleyes:

But, I don't care.
I think Plum Crazy and Black will always be hot. :D
And I've seen people who can't pay their rent spend over $100 and 4 hours in a salon. I'm soooo glad I don't do this. Monthly manicures and nails done. Glamour shots. The list goes on.

If you are being yourself and aren't afraid to be different then you are able to miss out on nothing and still be NT or whatever other disorder than aspie. Aspie is just part of who you are, it doesn't make you good or bad or bind you to a definition [at least up to the theory pf mind and comprehending others but it shouldnt affect who you are]. And same with NT, it doesn't have a strict definition.

There are NT introverts and loners and social anxiety ones like myself or weirdos like myself who never fit in. You don't have to be bound by emotion or crowd belief or afraid to show your differences [although in some cases it may be smart to not tell about it].

I'd miss out on being able to criticise idiot Daily Fail readers who think all disabled people are workshy slaves to the benefit system.

Completely wrong, but trying to convince them otherwise is like trying to convince dogs not to chase cats.

I'd prefer it if I wasn't autistic, but am thankful that my condition isn't any worse, and am aware that there are far worse conditions than autism that others have to contend with it. As it is, I have impeccable dress-sense and attention to detail, but my condition is mild enough to know when to leave something and not overdo it. I could do without all the overthinking and getting into loops over things I have no control over or happened in the past. But on the other hand, I notice things other people miss, like the simple things in life and am happy in my own company.

I like the attention I have to detail.
I like my passions.
I like my ability to be alone.

And I suppose that most of the non-ASD people on here are allies of the true sort.

We rock!

I'd miss out on my entire life and being the person I am. I wouldn't want that.

Couldn't tell you specifics....because if my parents had had a non-autistic child that child would be a different person. Who knows what that person would be like.

I have trouble describing people's traits, including my own, so all I can say about this post is yes! I like being me, I like seeing things the way I see them and thinking the way I think, and imagining not being able to experience the world this way makes me sad. It's like I wouldn't even be me, and as I said, I like being me. How could I not want something that plays such a significant role in making me who I am? That's not to say that there aren't certain things that I'd like to improve about myself, but that's true of anyone with any level of self-awareness, on the spectrum or not. I'm working on improving the things that get in the way of living the life I want to live, but I have no desire to become neurotypical. Being on the spectrum makes certain things harder than they might otherwise be, and society's assumptions and biases certainly don't help, but I wouldn't change who I am to get rid of those problems.

In conclusion, I love this post, and we need more messages like it in the world.

New Threads

Top Bottom