• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What would I be missing out on if I wasn't on the spectrum

Pats

V.I.P Member
So much. My uniqueness as opposed to looking, acting and thinking like everyone else.

My happiness with being alone. As often as everyone finds themselves alone, some are just not able to handle it and feel lost and lonely. Yet, being alone is inevitable at times for everyone. So I like that I enjoy this time and used to feel like I just couldn't get enough of it.

I like feeling excited about whatever it is I'm working on or researching or doing.

I like seeing facts that others around me don't seem to be able to see. Though, it is frustrating when they think I'm just seeing from my perspective like they do.

I like that I can dress comfortable and not worry about trying to keep up with fads.

I actually like that the food I like is limited and simple - easier to keep groceries in the house and not have to figure out what I might want this day or that - I already know.

I basically like who I am. It's when I'm trying to fit in and be what I'm not that I'm not happy.

Although the majority of the time, I'm overjoyed with who I've become, there are times when I'm exposed to certain kinds of people, "normal," charismatic, seemingly happy, apparently "successful" people, that make me wish for a few hours that I was one of them.

But I also have people tell me all the time that they wish they were more like me, so it sorta all balances out!

Ditto Mc Ditface!

You'd likely miss out on having discovered this community and making such lovely online friends too!

Ditto Mc Ditface!

You'd likely miss out on having discovered this community and making such lovely online friends too!
Mc Ditface? I've never seen that on the McDonalds menu. lol Yes, anything Mc I associate with McD's. I remember telling my kids I was so well known at my local McD's that they personally invited me to come for McMothers day. They believed me. lol

"What would I be missing out on if I wasn't on the spectrum?" - Judging others from an extremely "narrow-minded" point of view. Behaving like "normal people" - treating others who are "different" as if they were scum. Sitting on a "self-righteous" pedestal and looking down on inferior "useless eaters". Oh my! My mind just went into overload because there are such as vast amount of "examples" to express and so little time to express them. I am thankful I am not a NT!

We need to keep in mind here that we have members on this forum of all neurologies and be respectful of those that aren't on the autism spectrum.

Last edited:
"What would I be missing out on if I wasn't on the spectrum?" - Judging others from an extremely "narrow-minded" point of view. Behaving like "normal people" - treating others who are "different" as if they were scum. Sitting on a "self-righteous" pedestal and looking down on inferior "useless eaters". Oh my! My mind just went into overload because there are such as vast amount of "examples" to express and so little time to express them. I am thankful I am not a NT!
So what is it you like about you? :)

So much. My uniqueness as opposed to looking, acting and thinking like everyone else.

My happiness with being alone. As often as everyone finds themselves alone, some are just not able to handle it and feel lost and lonely. Yet, being alone is inevitable at times for everyone. So I like that I enjoy this time and used to feel like I just couldn't get enough of it.

I like feeling excited about whatever it is I'm working on or researching or doing.

I like seeing facts that others around me don't seem to be able to see. Though, it is frustrating when they think I'm just seeing from my perspective like they do.

I like that I can dress comfortable and not worry about trying to keep up with fads.

I actually like that the food I like is limited and simple - easier to keep groceries in the house and not have to figure out what I might want this day or that - I already know.

I basically like who I am. It's when I'm trying to fit in and be what I'm not that I'm not happy.
I have to say that I admire your take on being autistic. I find it difficult to see the good in my condition because I feel like society is just marginalizing me; out of sight and out of mind, if you will. I don't foresee this changing anytime soon.

All I'll say, is that I look at normal society, and "normal" people, see how they act...

...and I shudder. I could have ended up that way. Dodged a cannonball here.

You'd think they'd try to understand the internet BEFORE deciding to come up with these polls. But they never learn, do they:

st.png

Is this sarcasm? Or is this answering the opposite question and these are things you're missing out by being on the spectrum?

Last edited:
For as difficult as certain aspects of ASD can be, I am happy about things like innocent honesty, extreme categorization skills, and untethered thinking. These are also the skills that can get me in trouble. Life would be somewhat easier of all of these had an "off" switch. I am a rule follower by nature, so that keeps me trustworthy. Watching the world repeat the same mistakes over and over again is a source of amusement for me. I might like people, but I have little respect for humanity. I am very glad I am not one of the "me first" people, but I have suffered because of it. I'm not sure who I would be without these attributes. I wish I could be more empathetic, but neutral emotions help me bust through drama and whining to focus on the root of a problem. You can't put out a fire without locating and extinguishing the source. I am not a defender of truth because I am still looking for it.

It is true that a tendency to conform is one of the NT traits many of us lack, or had trained into us as opposed to it coming naturally …but would it be the other way around if our neurotype was the majority? Like maybe it's just an anthropological thing?

Things I like about being autistic: unique problem solving style, ability to connect with animals, intense concentration (who is anyone to tell me what degree of mental presence is "appropriate"?), the fact that after many years and attempts to accomplish such an outlook I appear to be unable to grow cynical.

It is true that a tendency to conform is one of the NT traits many of us lack, or had trained into us as opposed to it coming naturally …but would it be the other way around if our neurotype was the majority? Like maybe it's just an anthropological thing?

Things I like about being autistic: unique problem solving style, ability to connect with animals, intense concentration (who is anyone to tell me what degree of mental presence is "appropriate"?), the fact that after many years and attempts to accomplish such an outlook I appear to be unable to grow cynical.

From what I"ve seen here and in other autism-spectrum communities, we don't even conform to ourselves.

"Normal" members of society tend to be a bit like a herd of sheep.... all going in the same direction at the same time. They seem to be fine with this.

We end up being like a bunch of hyenas that have been injected with concentrated caffeine... leaping/running/rolling in totally random directions. Or just outright phasing through the floor. The people I've met who are on the spectrum tend to vary wildly in all sorts of ways. Chances are, I'm not the only one that's spotted this.

Chances are, I'm not the only one that's spotted this.

You're not, and I love that interpretation. Conforming has been incredibly useful to the survival of the species for many centuries, so I guess it couldn't have been us that were the majority no matter how you look at it.

I've heard there's a theory that consciousness is only about four thousand years old anyway.

Such a lovely, positive and inspiring post Pat. Thanks for sharing your good vibe :)

New Threads

Top Bottom