• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last thing you cooked?

The last thing I made was oatmeal for my fiance--but for myself I consumed a breakfast sandwich with eggs, cheese, and fresh tomatoes on a bagel. Normally I've been using beans but figured it's spring; why not? I love being a vegetarian.

Tonight I will make us grilled cheeses slathered with basil, garlic powder, and butter, and we're having leftover taco mix as well.

Today I'm going to pick up some cedar key littleneck clams to steam.

OMG, I'm so jealous! No clams where I live. Or none that I'd willingly ingest! :(

I'm going to make pita bread today for the first time and have been reviewing recipes. Apparently, it is just bread dough that is shaped and cooked differently from a regular loaf shape.

OMG, I'm so jealous! No clams where I live. Or none that I'd willingly ingest! :(

I'm going to make pita bread today for the first time and have been reviewing recipes. Apparently, it is just bread dough that is shaped and cooked differently from a regular loaf shape.
Good luck! I am a terrible baker and would not trust myself getting pita right.

Anyone recall those fried clams from Howard Johnsons restaurants? There's some edible nostalgia! :)

Yes! My first real summer job, age 16, was as a HoJo waitress. Ugliest uniform ever, and we had to wear white saddle loafer shoes that were perpetually stained with ketchup, mustard, coke, and whatever nasty stuff fell on the floor. That was my first time to eat fried clams and I loved them. It was also the first time I heard of Jacques Pepin who worked for HoJo for many years and developed their entrees and menus, long before he became famous. I once heard him joke that HoJo was responsible for the depletion of the Eastern Seaboard clam population because they sold so many of those fried clam plates at their restaurants.

Nostalgia, indeed!

Yes! My first real summer job, age 16, was as a HoJo waitress. Ugliest uniform ever, and we had to wear white saddle loafer shoes that were perpetually stained with ketchup, mustard, coke, and whatever nasty stuff fell on the floor. That was my first time to eat fried clams and I loved them. It was also the first time I heard of Jacques Pepin who worked for HoJo for many years and developed their entrees and menus, long before he became famous. I once heard him joke that HoJo was responsible for the depletion of the Eastern Seaboard clam population because they sold so many of those fried clam plates at their restaurants.

Nostalgia, indeed!
And yet none of their competitors picked up those clams. At least none that I know of. Puzzling.

Sure I've tried the frozen ones you can get most anywhere, but definitely nowhere near as good as HJ's.

I am old enough to recall Hojo's and the baseball player with the same name for the Mets and that everyone laughed at him over it...until he hit like a 500 foot home run off of you, that is.

A simple breakfast of eggs over easy and French-pressed coffee.

But on a more interesting note, yesterday afternoon I did some canning.
2 quarts of homemade apple/pear juice,
2 quarts and 1 pint of turkey bone broth
1 quart of spicy pickled carrots

2 of the jars didn't seal, so this morning I put them back in the canner. It was a simple matter of taking off the lids and ring bands, wiping the jar clean, and then adding fresh lids and ring bands. Process again. There's no reason that it shouldn't seal this time.

Another interesting kitchen adventure: I went to a chef supply store, and bought ten pounds of eye of round. I butchered it up into stew meat, roasts, and steaks. It's easy to learn and remember where on a muscle the roast stops and the steaks start. You can kind of tell by the grain of the meat.

Also, turkey was 30% off at the regular grocery store (post-Easter clearance) so I bought a whole turkey, and butchered it up into different cuts of meat.

I packaged all of the meat and now I have a half full freezer.

Next time I get paid, I would like to go back to the chef supply store and buy a full sized eye of chuck and butcher it into cuts. That's about one hundred dollars or so. But it would supply over a month's worth of meat for half the cost of the grocery store.

Last edited:
I made four-way* Cincinnati chili for my dinner last night.

*Spaghetti, the sauce, onions, and cheese.
Woo Hooooo! I love it! In the original recipe it calls for diced pork and instead I will do a coarse grind of a pork tenderloin.

Last edited:
Fajitas with masa dumplings.

So the masa dumplings are a lot like tamale dough, but made into dumplings. They are topped with the fajitas, and also with salsa, hot sauce, and cheese. They're really, really delicious.

New Threads

Top Bottom