• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last thing you cooked?

Not salmon salmon (so veggie Salmon) with sweet potato, pepper, onion and tomato with BBQ sauce.=D I am very pleased that it worked out.

Some chicken alfredo.

Couldn't really think of anything else to make for dinner tonight and, even though I'd just had seafood alfredo the other day, I decided I wanted some chicken alfredo so I made it.

I'm making spaghetti for dinner. Tomato sauce with chicken a.k.a Chicken Spaghetti. Always a favourite among our friend group.

I made soft ground beef tacos. I remember there once was a time ground beef was not this expensive.

20230209_182133.jpg

Technically speaking, I baked these...yeah, I made Butterscotch Bombs. Classic chocolate chip cookie recipe, but I use a 2:1 butterscotch to chocolate chip ratio. 4 oz of butterscotch and 2oz of chocolate chips.

Last edited:
I just had a lovely cuppa coffee. Added chocolate and peppermint for a little morning happiness.

I'm in the process of making breakfast. Eggs, as you know, in the United States, are a "Dowry a Dozen" right now. Since they're kind of hard to come by these days, I decided to do something fancy with them. Right now, they're in a pot with water, waiting to boil. I'm going to make devilled eggs. I'll have a few for breakfast, and nosh on them here and there over the next couple days (try not to eat them all in one go!)

I'm also prepping to waterglass a couple dozen in a few days. It'll be a big task, as one must first coat storebought eggs with lard, schmalz or tallow (not oil, butter, or crisco) before one can preserve them. If you do not coat washed eggs with animal muscle fat, then they will uptake the lime into the pores, and that is dangerous.

Once waterglassed in a gallon jar, they'll be shelf stable in their raw form for almost two years! You can just pull one out, crack it and fry, scramble, etc like you would any egg.
Now I have never heard of coating the eggs in lard before putting them in water glass (sodium silicate.) I'd read that you were just supposed to submerge them in a crock or jar filled with water glass. That does make sense that you would have really good storage with eggs kept covered in grease.
I wonder if you had new-laid eggs, clean ones from hens that have been kept on straw or hay in a good nest box, if you'd still have to coat them in fat? A new-laid or day-old egg has a delicate bloom on the surface of it that rubs off with a lot of handling--it seems to have an affect on how long an egg will keep.

I've never seen an egg in the grocery store with bloom, but have had a few particularly friendlyhens lay eggs in my lap before so those were about as new as they get. The day I move to somewhere with some land attached, that is the day I break ground on another chicken roost.

Now I have never heard of coating the eggs in lard before putting them in water glass (sodium silicate.) I'd read that you were just supposed to submerge them in a crock or jar filled with water glass. That does make sense that you would have really good storage with eggs kept covered in grease.
I wonder if you had new-laid eggs, clean ones from hens that have been kept on straw or hay in a good nest box, if you'd still have to coat them in fat? A new-laid or day-old egg has a delicate bloom on the surface of it that rubs off with a lot of handling--it seems to have an affect on how long an egg will keep.

I've never seen an egg in the grocery store with bloom, but have had a few particularly friendlyhens lay eggs in my lap before so those were about as new as they get. The day I move to somewhere with some land attached, that is the day I break ground on another chicken roost.
If the eggs are unwashed, you can just waterglass them. But if they are washed, you would coat them with lard. You don't have to make the eggs all greasy. Just a thin coating, with lard on a paper towel, wiped onto each egg, to simulate the bloom.

But I can see what you mean. If you're not sure if an egg is coated, rub it with a little lard, I suppose.

I am learning how to cook chili. Pre-made chili is becoming too expensive.
I cannot find dry kidney beans, so I am using pinto beans, for now.
I just had an excellent chili recently! Vegetarian, with carrots, onions, garlic, beans, and celery--with home-made cheesy garlic bread on the side. chef's kiss

The last things I cooked was a nice pot of rice and beans, along with a grilled-cheese on the side. Slathered with melted butter, in which garlic powder and basil were mixed.

Cincinnati chili and spaghetti.

Boiling pasta and heating up the canned Cincinnati chili on the stovetop while I was cooking the pasta counts as cooking.

A plain omelette. No filling. With eggs, and cream, cooked in butter. A little sea salt on top, and some ketchup on the side.

New Threads

Top Bottom