• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last thing you cooked?

Last nite l cut my kimchi, fried it with onions. Then l made a sauce of soy, mirin, stevia, Korean chili paste and put aside. I chopped garlic, ginger up. So it was cabbage, added to noodles and the above ingredients and l served my guest - kimchi noodles. It was a success and the first time l ate kimchi.
^ Awesome! Kimchi is great. I make my own. I love to see someone else using kimchi in non-traditional ways too. I love chopping mine finely and using it in sandwiches and on top of slices of pizza. Very cool.

@Magna
I also am making kimchi sliders- at friend's request. And l wanted to try kimchi grilled cheese sandwich. But l may try corn tortillas instead of bread. Maybe l could air fry it then dip into a sauce which l have yet to figure out. They requested a kimchi week menu. Lol

There is a Korean lady who owns a pizza place in Minnapolis that makes kimchi pizza that is very popular.

Hubby and I made spicy chicken jerky yesterday in the dehydrator. We cut thin strips of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, marinaded them in a mixture of Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, honey, garlic powder and black pepper. Then dehydrated them for about 6 hours at 165 degrees F. They taste delicious. Next time, though, I'm going to add chili flakes instead of black pepper.

I have seen recipes to cook the cauliflower a little but but first cut it into small potato like chunks. Then steam a but, cool down. Then mix with your potato salad fixings. You could puree tofu, then mix with mayo, and you have protein incorporated also.

Last nite l cut my kimchi, fried it with onions. Then l made a sauce of soy, mirin, stevia, Korean chili paste and put aside. I chopped garlic, ginger up. So it was cabbage, added to noodles and the above ingredients and l served my guest - kimchi noodles. It was a success and the first time l ate kimchi.
I am trying to avoid soy. My daughter and I are both sensitive to it. I've switched to fish sauce. You only need a tiny bit of it, to mimic the soy.

There was a two year period, where I bought Koji and brewed my own fermented Miso paste. I used mung beans instead of soybeans. It was the hardest thing I've ever fermented, because there was such attention to detail, and temperature fluctuation as well. It took two years to ferment. But once it was finished, oh my goodness, It was the most delicious and fresh thing I had ever tasted.

I've also made my own soy-free tofu out of different beans. I like garbanzo the best. So, first you have to soak and sprout the beans, then cook them, and grind and soak again, then strain, to make a soymilk-like beverage. Then I added vinegar (I couldn't find nigari). And then pressed out the whey. I also make cheese with dairy milk this way.

Another one is Tempeh. But I screwed up on that one. I didn't really understand the steps, it was way above my paygrade.

Oh, Amazaki too! That's a yummy beverage that's made from Koji and rice. But the rice ferments and turns wonderfully sweet. Like a vanilla milkshake. That was a kinda hard one, but very fun.

Nowadays the only ferments I really do is Kombucha, saurkraut, and pickles. Although, besides the above ferments, I've also made water kefir, milk kefir, yoghurt, and skyr in the past. Beers too.

I would like to learn how to ferment my own fish sauce. But that would probably get me in trouble with my landlord (high rise apartments= stinky hallway).

OMG sorry for the info dump! Can you tell that you've hit a special interest? LOL

Hello @Shaddock . You have stated that you are not a native English speaker. When you said cabbage, did you mean to say "Lettuce"? Lettuce is almost always eaten raw, in salads.

View attachment 89177

Iceberg Lettuce is the most common variety of lettuce. It has very little nutrition, and is mostly water. What do you call it in your language?

View attachment 89178

My favorite lettuce is Butter Lettuce. It is very tender and has a slight buttery taste. What do you call it in your language?

View attachment 89179

Cabbage looks similar to lettuce. But it is a different kind of vegetable. It is much crunchier, and lasts longer in the refrigerator. In American cuisine, it is usually cooked. But it is also eaten fresh as Saurkraut or in a salad called Coleslaw.

View attachment 89185

This is Coleslaw, a salad made from cabbage.

The most common recipe includes shredded cabbage and carrots, with mayonnaise, buttermilk, salt and pepper, a little sugar, and a splash of vinegar. Sometimes it is made from other vegetables, like shredded broccoli. Or raisins are added. How do you say Coleslaw in your language?

View attachment 89186

yes I meant lettuce. we call it just "Salat" in german. Salat is the german word for "salad." I´m not sure how it is really called. I guess "Kohlkopf." which means "cabbage" in english.

we call Iceberg lettuce, "Eisbergsalat" in german. and yes it´s the most common one here too.

I´m not sure, but I think "butter lettuce" is "Endiviensalat" in germany or at least that´s what comes to my mind when I see the picture. and yes, I like this kind of salad very much too. I like it when it soaks it with vinegar and olive oil and is juicy lol.

ah now I understand. cabbage means "Kohl" in german. I rarely eat cabbage, but I also like it.

I like coleslaw salad too lol. it´s "Krautsalat" here.

I´m a simple man. I just chop vegetables, put them into a bowl, add olive oil and vinegar (no water! (italian style)) and eat it : D my mother and sister gave me some salad herbs. they are very common here. and my mother and sister are always like: "What? you use no salad herbs? : O."

they taste good, but I also like salad without them and they have much salt in it, which is not that healthy when you eat too much of it. some people even use special salad salt in their salad (well, after that you´re can not call the salad "healthy" anymore)

1668978032012.png

now, after answering your posts, I´m very hungry and I think I will eat something soon : D

Mmmm Yum Yum

I made these delicious chicken legs!

They were coated in yogurt, parmesan, and some really tasty herbs. Then they were baked in the oven. They came out crispy and tasty like old school KFC, but low carb.

On the side, because that's such a heavy dish, I made a nice fresh salad of cucumber, radishes, mushrooms, and green onions, with my special parsley and dill oil and vinegar dressing.

Om nom nom. I'd serve it to guests, it was so good.

Update on the tempura:

Success! It's delish! 9/10!
We made pork dumplings and the shrimp along with veg.

The snap peas are a bit soft but everything else was perfect.

My only complaint was in the timing because it took 90 minutes in total and about 60 just to fry everything in small batches. Somehow it all stayed hot.

yesterday I made again a salad. I really like this salad lol. especially atm I do it very often. but sometimes my salad is swimming in olive oil (which is very expensive) and vinegar and sometimes I exaggerate it a bit. (there is a lot of corn under it). and yes I remove sometimes even the stem of little tomatos lol.

1669392693778.png

edit: I know, my "cooking" skills are unfathomable good. (irony)

I've been getting very creative with cauliflower lately. It is a vegetable that I used to hate, but now I've learned delicious ways to substitute it for potatoes or rice.

Make it and tell me how it turned out!!
I love cauliflower but don't know what to do with it other that steam and the puor some olive oil on it. Delicious, but a little boring after x days.

Banana Chips!!

250 f oven

Line a cookie sheet with parchment.

Line up your banana slices like good little soldiers.

Bake for 1 hour

Flip the banana chips

Bake for 1 hour

If still somewhat moist in the middle, flip and bake in 30 minute intervals, flipping after each 30 minutes.

They won't be dry and crunchy like the storebought ones.

They'll be more like raisins or dried apples. Still slightly moist, but you can tear them. Basically a fruit leather.

Towards the end, if they're almost done, but you don't want to bake them any longer, it's okay to leave them on the tray in the oven, with the oven turned off for about 12-24 hours, to finish drying.

@Magna
I also am making kimchi sliders- at friend's request. And l wanted to try kimchi grilled cheese sandwich. But l may try corn tortillas instead of bread. Maybe l could air fry it then dip into a sauce which l have yet to figure out. They requested a kimchi week menu. Lol

There is a Korean lady who owns a pizza place in Minnapolis that makes kimchi pizza that is very popular.
Wait... Kimchi Sliders? I know how to make kimchi, and I love little sliders...

I'm imagining it tasting like a jalapeno cheeseburger.

Please share the recipe.

Right now I'm juicing 1/2 gallon of punch for my daughter to drink when she's home for the holidays. It'll be canned in quart jars.

And I'm juicing 1 gallon of fresh cranberry juice that I'll just put in a pitcher and drink whenever I like.

I love cauliflower but don't know what to do with it other that steam and the puor some olive oil on it. Delicious, but a little boring after x days.
Do whatever you would do with potatoes with cauliflower. The seasonings might have to be tweaked a might bit, but it comes out almost identical in flavor and texture to potatoes, without all the carbs.

Do whatever you would do with potatoes with cauliflower. The seasonings might have to be tweaked a might bit, but it comes out almost identical in flavor and texture to potatoes, without all the carbs.
Interesting.
I don't do much seasoning, can't do that. Just throw everything I to water, or steam it, or put it in the oven with a little salt and pepper and that's about it. The moment I do more, I end up throwing it away because it's horrible.
But will definitely try baked cauliflower, never occurred to me before.

My mother used to make a great snack with cauliflower. She'd cut it in to very small pieces, batter them and deep fry them.

She'd split the batter in to 3 different bowls first, one she'd leave plain, one she'd add herbs and garlic, and one she'd add chicken stock and spices, that way you get 3 different flavours at the same time.

She used to make a really nice crispy beer batter for this which is very easy.

1 part corn flour
2 parts plain flour
1/2 a can of beer - you get to drink the rest.

My mother used to make a great snack with cauliflower. She'd cut it in to very small pieces, batter them and deep fry them.

She'd split the batter in to 3 different bowls first, one she'd leave plain, one she'd add herbs and garlic, and one she'd add chicken stock and spices, that way you get 3 different flavours at the same time.

She used to make a really nice crispy beer batter for this which is very easy.

1 part corn flour
2 parts plain flour
1/2 a can of beer - you get to drink the rest.
I love cauliflower an sometimes I can get real big "brains" for little money at the fair, so I have mostly some in the freezer. I also like broccoli a lot, but not as much as cauliflower.
I think I'm Cauliflower Girl
And I like the part of "drink the rest"

New Threads

Top Bottom