• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last movie you watched?

Taken. I thought it would be stupid and enjoyable, but it was just stupid. Oh well.

My grandson is in an advanced high school program. He is required to see two new releases every 6 weeks. I am the 'Limo' driver; I go with him.

"Django Unchained." Historical fiction. Lots of gratuitous violence; shock value of how badly slaves were treated by some. Good story. Liked watching Django shoot those revolvers. Not sure how historically accurate the guns were; no visible smoke. Black powder would have turned the scenes into a gray fog very quickly.

The last Harry Potter film was good. Sit back, let it roll on by and enjoy.

"Skyfall" was good but the plot verges on silly for me very often. The rationale for events and the way the screenplay goes does not hold a lot of water? I liked the scenery when Bond and M were going through Scotland in the car. I had just read several (non-fiction) books about the Ice Ages and the scenery background registered as believable. Wonder where those scenes were filmed?

In the morning it will be "OZ: The Great And Powerful." Will try to give you a review.

"OZ:" Just got home from that one as I write. Quite good. The magic and the battle scenes are very 'Disney' and are not murderous like the scenes in Harry Potter were. The potential is clearly there and in a few places the suggestion is apparent that things were very bad very recently. Good for kids; story flows well both in Kansas and in Oz. Some of the story is quite adult. Read a review via Twitter or Yahoo News where the reviewer did not like the Kansas part because it was too long. I disagree. The black & white Kansas segment sets up the Oz characters just like the 1939 movie did and does it very well. Oz is really gorgeous; almost worth the price of admission just to see the fully saturated colors in the background and the flowers and other things that are the world of Oz. If you are 'into' Mila Kunis, there is a lot of good up-close-and-personal showing off this very pretty girl. Then the story line flows smoothly and sets her up to be a Wicked Witch in the 1939 movie. When this flick was over, I mostly regretted that it was not possible to move immediately into watching the 1939 movie again. Maybe on TV later, or DVD's. The media reviewers have made a big deal of the no-show of the (Warner Bro. copyrighted) Ruby Slippers. They are working hard to find things to diss. I took my high-school age grandson and he liked it and so did the trio of 5th grade girls (granddaughter and friends) who ended up going along with us. I consider the cost of admission (and some popcorn and soda) money well spent for all of us.

Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street. A film adaptation of a musical by Sondheim, although I haven't seen the musical. I was scared to watch this film because I don't like gore overmuch, but I wanted to see it because I like Tim Burton's movies and because I've heard people cultural-reference it before. I actually enjoyed it. Strange juxtaposition of dark/violent elements and humor. The music was great. I will watch it again before returning it to the friend I borrowed it from.

There is a video of Sweeney Todd with Len Cariou and Angela Lansbury (the original cast) that was broadcast on PBS many years ago. Check the PBS website on how to order.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I enjoyed it, with the exception of looking away during physical affection. I can never stand to watch that stuff- I wish they just wouldn't put it in movies. But it was so strange to watch. It was like that boy was me at that age, except I wasn't as severe because I didn't have the traumas he did. Welcome to the island of misfit toys! Overall a good movie, and not as stressful/ hard to watch as Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

We watched that again the other day, it is sssoo amazing and I wanna watch it again tonight. It makes me cry every time but it's such an amazing film.

Mirrormask. I quite liked it. I suppose you could make the Labyrinth comparison, although it was much prettier and less annoying and had a much more compelling heroine.

Technically, Hansel and Gretel, which was set to a Middle age in which they knew all sort of things about physics and mechanics.

That was only an hour after Victoria, though, which was about loving someone out of one's league.

If you count tv-movies, I watched Pretty Woman and As Good As It Gets simultaneously last night. You all know what the former was about – umrealistic romcom about basically the same thing as Victoria, but Hollywood-style – and the latter was about a guy who may or may not have Asperger in addition to OCD and possibly a number of other things (because if someone in a Hollywood movie has a condition, they have ALL the symptoms) but overcomes it with twu luv. And pills.

Network

Funny how this movie depicts how media works and it still holds up almost 40 years later.

The girl with the dragon tattoo.. the original Swedish one. Probably check the other ones out in the next few days.

New Threads

Top Bottom