• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Type Of Social Situation Do You Prefer?

Please choose up to three responses.

• Small groups of strangers

• Large groups of strangers

• Small groups of friends or acquaintances

• Large group of friends or acquaintances

• Crowds

• Utter isolation

• Animals or pets

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lymle

The pattern princess
I personally like to be alone or in crowds..seems contrary huh?
& very rarely, the few close friends I've had since childhood.

But in a way, being in crowds is like being alone with the extra perk of anonymous company when I need a bit more, without the hassle of my friends expectations.

So what's kinds of situations do you find most agreeable?

(Family excluded)

Last edited:
For me, large group would be four people, regardless
of whether they are friends, acquaintances, or strangers.

If I were making it, I would have included the term "relative" in the poll.

Presumably these friends, acquaintances, and strangers are
all human, right? Because I would prefer a social group of
cats over a social group of dogs, but if the gathering must be
composed of just humans, ok.

Yes I find the same as you, OP, it's fairly easy to be alone in a crowd. And preferable to small groups of strangers often, easier to stay separate.

Depends how you class 'small' and 'large' groups of friends, but I like groups of friends up to 6 people including myself. Minimum 3, as unless I am very close with a person I find 1 to 1 interaction very stressful. I hate interacting with strangers, but crowds of stranger I don't have to interact with are fine.

I don't like crowds at all. The unpredictability of crowd pyschology makes me very anxious. That and my theory that the monster will always follow the biggest batch of people. If one shows up that is.

bb6723f4c4d8b9ed856dba3a02b9a8ba.jpg

;)

I personally like to be alone or in crowds..seems contrary huh?
& very rarely, the few close friends I've had since childhood.

But in a way, being in crowds is like being alone with the extra perk of anonymous company when I need a bit more, without the hassle of my friends expectations.

So what's kinds of situations do you find most agreeable?

(Family excluded)

I know exactly what you mean. With the whole coronavirus thing, I'm very lonely from the "social distancing". I feel positively isolated. It's horrid.

I'm not really craving time with friends. I'm craving time in a group of people. Like the grocery store or a downtown street, where every once in a while an old lady will smile as she passes me by. Or I order something at a McDonalds.

However, it would be nice to go over to my parents' house for a little bit too.

Small groups of friends/acquaintances for me.. Or my dogs..
And by small groups, that's most often 1 person unless I know everyone in the group individually very well..
There's another post around here about how more than 1 person in a group makes the social interaction a magnitude more difficult.. I agreed with that, I tend to prefer 1 on 1 conversations for less stress.. I've gotten better at small groups too on occasion, but it's more tiring..

I don't like crowds at all. The unpredictability of crowd pyschology makes me very anxious. That and my theory that the monster will always follow the biggest batch of people. If one shows up that is.

View attachment 61161

;)
I live in Portland and that monster exists. Its name is Antifa. We don't go downtown very often anymore because of it.

(Aside from the current Covid-19 situation)

I enjoy spending time in downtown Calgary, doing my photography, in general our downtown isn't exactly overcrowded compared to some other large cities of the world... I love people watching, and doing street photography

I also enjoy the company of a small number of friends (no more than four really), beyond that I get uncomfortable, just simply have difficulty processing what can become multiple conversations

On occasion, I do go for a drive east of town onto the prairies, for anything from one day to several days, drive back roads with hardly any traffic, and go exploring and take photos... And spend time in towns and hamlets with low population on those trips... Just not sure I would want to live in small towns like that...

I prefer one on one with someone I know well.
One close friend, a relative I like, (and I have none of those left), or just someone I randomly get involved in a small conversation with.
Although that rarely happens.
The two's company, three's a crowd applies to me.
I like being with animals and a lot of alone time.

There's a new category for animals and pets since I voted, but I don't know how to change my vote, however I would change the one for isolation for that category if I knew how. My cat is always around somewhere. Maybe there should be a category for plants here? Also, for places? I probably get more companionship from certain loved places than people. And I rescue and plant trees, the seedlings sometimes get names.

There's a new category for animals and pets since I voted, but I don't know how to change my vote, however I would change the one for isolation for that category if I knew how. My cat is always around somewhere. Maybe there should be a category for plants here? Also, for places? I probably get more companionship from certain loved places than people. And I rescue and plant trees, the seedlings sometimes get names.

That's great you rescue plants and seedlings.

I prefer either one-on-one communication or small groups. Otherwise I feel a bit stretched out and that I am not truly connecting with others. I quite like groups of three or four (including me). Although, it somewhat depends on the people in particular. Some people have personalities that bounce off of each other quite well. In those situations the conversation usually flows fairly easily and I feel at ease. However, when things are less harmonious it tends to be more tiring.

Personally I would consider myself as closer to the introvert side. I find that certain individuals are less tiring to be around than others. Some are entertaining but I become exhausted after half an hour with them, others I could easily spend days with. If I don't find someone tiring then there's a significant chance we'll become friends quite quickly. Especially if they have similar interests.

I tend to pick up on the emotions of others quite a bit (except in situations where I'm oblivious, results may vary) and feel what they are feeling. So if I'm around stressed people I might feel second-hand stress. I have quite a variety of friends and not all of them would get on with each other. Sometimes when I'm hanging out with a friend of mine I'll run into another friend. I can feel the awkwardness that the friend I came there with is experiencing. When the two share common ground I can usually break the ice, but when it is two friends who have very little if anything in common it is harder to navigate.

Small groups, or preferably just one other person. Or to be alone. A pet is usually a welcome companion, too.

I like people with a clean persona. I have a hard time hanging with dull, bad, repressed energies. I don't like men who sexually assess me. Which means l am alone alot.

I like being alone. I do all my freehiking completely alone, miles from the nearest human.

Pets are good too. The only demands they make on me are enjoyable because I know they won't be criticizing me for doing it my own way in my own time.

Then there is time with my wife and kids - when we or they visit.

Very small groups of friends are OK. Probably because all my friends together make a very small group.

Crowds are OK. You're alone in a crowd. Just don't want it to be tightly packed.

One thing that didn't get listed is groups with a common purpose. I have an acting class. We're there to learn the craft and to workshop our ideas. The purpose dominates the environment. I don't feel as alien when there is a common purpose.

I understand there are more than a few Aspies in the entertainment world. Real ones, not Sheldon Cooper.

I use to like to be alone but now I prefer a small group of friends and acquaintances at the Church I go too. I can handle large crowds at Church. I also love my cats as they hang out with me a lot.

However with this what I called antisocial virus going along I can no longer talk or go to groups directly. I am doing all the groups virtually like the one yesterday per the small attachment.

Attachments

• 2020-03-25 (6).png
    2020-03-25 (6).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

New Threads

Top Bottom