• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What to expect at a screening?

amiami96

I'm 17 year old female and I'm very sure I'm an aspie. My parents are totally not shocked and they knew all this time but didn't get a diagnosis because they thought of it more as eccentricities rather than a huge vice to my personality.

I scheduled a diagnosis screening with my regular psychologist who is PhD for April 8th. She's very kind and suspected I was ADD but with my obsessions, social disparities and behavior I fit the model of a female aspie perfectly. I haven't seen her in a while but the autism society told me that a PhD psychologist is better than a neurologist.

Sorry if I rambled on :( what can I expect from a diagnosis screening? I've made a list for her with examples is that good? Please I really want to have a plan before.

It sounds like you are preparing in just the right way. When I was diagnosed I was asked questions and we had a general discussion around the list of traits associated with Asperger's. I took my wife with me, who was invaluable in helping communication. She also was able to quote many examples of my behaviours, much better than I was able to articulate.

Making notes of examples I'm sure will be invaluable.

Wishing you all the best. Try not to be too anxious, a diagnosis gives more answers than questions x

Depends on who is doing the screening. A lot of times they will ask you questions but really they are watching your behavior too during the questions and the tasks they ask you to do. also they may have you do IQ testing and a few other tests to see if there are also learning disabilities. Some places do a two day testing process. I would recommend having someone come with you that knows you or you live with that could give examples of behaviors and their own concerns.

New Threads

Top Bottom