• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What part of being autistic causes you the most problems?

What's the worst part about being autistic?

• What I described

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Other people are my biggest issue. Naturally I am quiet, introverted, stimming all the time, not always very verbal, happy. When I am around others they feel discomfort around that so I have to be loud,bubbly, talk in memes, hang out with people, be fake happy. People at school see me as bubbly and nice and I am but when I am around people I have to turn up the reaction as people used to ask if I was angry or sad when I was content. Other people forcing me to fit where I do not has been the main issue. Why must NT's insist that we get dressed up and take pictures, or go to crowded places for fun, or see being loud as an indicator of happiness, or deciding the guidelines and then never telling anyone what they are. I will admit I have deficits in areas mentioned above but it is not hard to accommodate. Why does NT...steve I don't know..get to hate any foods with a mushy texture but me existing is too much. It is the amount of struggle I have? I don't struggle when alone I know what I mean and I know what I want.

Uh... you have it for life, regardless of whether you were diagnosed. A Diagnosis just gives one a label one can work with. Tells you which drawer to look into, which folder to grab, and a suggestion of where to go with it.

Correct diagnosis has enough predictive power that it will suggest strategies to compensate for one's weaknesses. Not a panacea but beats the hell out of fumbling in the dark.

While the circular thinking pattern in the OP caused most of the problem in my life, I no longer see things that way.

I created a new thread to explain how I think now that helped me overcome many of the problems caused by that way of thinking. Here's the link to the new thread: Misunderstandings

Uh... you have it for life, regardless of whether you were diagnosed. A Diagnosis just gives one a label one can work with. Tells you which drawer to look into, which folder to grab, and a suggestion of where to go with it.

Correct diagnosis has enough predictive power that it will suggest strategies to compensate for one's weaknesses. Not a panacea but beats the hell out of fumbling in the dark.

Nailed it!

Nobody advertises that autism causes not only difficulties in relating to others, but also emotional hypersensitivity (in my case) and depression/anxiety. One thing that happens, like not being able to go to University in Sept, can send me into a negative spiral that lasts for months. I still have meltdowns that are really hard to control, and my family calls me a "crybaby". I need to JUST GET OVER THINGS but it seems impossible. How do I fix this?

Nobody advertises that autism causes not only difficulties in relating to others, but also emotional hypersensitivity (in my case) and depression/anxiety. One thing that happens, like not being able to go to University in Sept, can send me into a negative spiral that lasts for months. I still have meltdowns that are really hard to control, and my family calls me a "crybaby". I need to JUST GET OVER THINGS but it seems impossible. How do I fix this?

Improving self-esteem and correcting negative beliefs is very helpful.

Last edited:

The only thing that helped that problem for me was medication, a mood stabilizer.

I Really hate it its awful
Where to start
,ADHD,Dysthymia,Dysphagia poor short term memory and executive functions and more though admittedly some of these are worse than others

I understand the op on a fundamental level. I relate so completely that its like I could have been the op (except had I attempted to author the post, I would have repeated myself ad nauseam, noticed it upon proofreading, given up and never posted)

Agreed, if they didn't want to know, why did they ask?
I struggle when people are vague or ambiguous in word or verbally, especially verbally, as I am undiagnosed I think I irritate people when I want specifics, if diagnosed I would say "I am autistic and struggle with things that non autistic people would understand, yet to me, they seem vague, please can you be more specific?"

The issues with motor skills I have is one thing that frustrates me the most, since it's hard to do a lot of the things I want to do. Camouflaging is also very stressful, and even though I've tried to stop doing it when I don't need to I still hate having to do that.

I think it is pretty important to have a support system to end the cycle. That makes you feel loved and is willing to accommodate you for your differences. Until I got that Support, I couldn’t escape the cycle. If you have a support system of just a few close people, you can ignore the intolerance of others and not take it personally. I’ll link a good video that talks about exactly this.

Last edited:
I think it is pretty important to have a support system to end the cycle. That makes you feel loved and is willing to accommodate you for your differences. Until I got that Support, I couldn’t escape the cycle. If you have a support system of just a few close people, you can ignore the intolerance of others and not take it personally. I’ll link a good video that talks about exactly this.

While a support system is helpful, it's not realistic for everyone. People need to take the initiative to become a better person by being more flexible, open-minded instead of being so stubborn and close minded.

Last edited:
I’ve gotten to the point long ago where I really don’t interact with anyone except immediate family in person (no job so no coworkers, no longer going to school so no classmates, not even usually with cashiers because I still live with my parents and they do all the shopping), so that alleviates most of the social aspects for me.

Presently I’d say sensory issues. I have major issues with feeling even remotely damp, so I hate heat and humidity since they make me sweat (or make the very air feel damp). I loathe the transitions from dry to wet or wet to dry - once I’ve been in water for a while I get used to it and am okay with it, but I have a heck of a time getting in and out. Both baths and showers are sensory nightmares for me. I can’t stand the sound of all the cicadas in late summer even when I’m indoors (outdoors, if you’re talking to someone even right next to you, if it’s within the few hours of their active period, you literally have to shout in order to be heard over the racket, I wouldn’t be surprised if they actually are loud enough to cause hearing damage), even wearing my noise-cancelling headphones indoors doesn’t completely cancel out the noise, just makes it irritating instead of downright painful. I also can’t stand the feel of wind, only can tolerate a bit of a gentle breeze but can’t take my dog for a walk if it’s too windy out (I do my best to tolerate it if he needs to go potty, but it’s just “do your business and then come back inside,” not a full-on walk). Usually when we go to places like stores or restaurants I shut down at least to some extent, though nowadays my service dog makes it not quite as bad as it used to be. And tied to the sensory stuff, I can’t “tune out” any sort of “background noise” and sometimes just trying to play a mindless game on my iPad while two other people are having a conversation, or someone is trying to talk to me but the TV, fan, and air conditioning are on is enough to send me into a meltdown. And I oftentimes can’t even use earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones if anyone else at all is around, and sometimes even when they aren’t, or I get really, really antsy because hearing is the primary sense I use to monitor my environment, so I start to panic if I don’t have full hearing.

My ability to mentally laser focus on a single thing for hours on end is a double edged sword. It is great when I am working or otherwise being productive, but it sucks when my brain wants to dwell on feeling bad.

Inability to drive. I can't stop obsessing over negative possibilities and i have no idea about roads and directions in general. I am unemployed right now and too scared to find a job because i cant drive and i am scared to use public transport. Its way too crowded.

Perception is reality. There is no difference between their response to your perceived actions and if you'd actually done whatever. It is the same rejection or ridicule or distancing. If the jury thinks you are guilty, your actual innocence is irrelevant.

Actually they perceived your actions perfectly clearly and you made them uncomfortable, even if they may have misinterpreted your motivation. This results in very real consequences raging from bullying to career failure to social isolation.

As a general rule, people do not well tolerate people who are different in ways that violate certain unspoken social norms. If they did, autism wouldn't be a problem

New Threads

Top Bottom