• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

what is your stim?

Stimming clouds your mind from things that you should be focusing on, that's a fact! It distracts you from thinking or feeling at a moment when that's exactly what you should be doing.
Actually, quite the opposite is true I believe. We are often totally unaware that we are stimming because we are so focussed on what we are supposed to be doing. On the other hand, concentrating on not stimming takes away a lot of concentration that could be better utilized.

Last edited:
Soup's stim of the day: Repeatedly whispering a few lines of lyrics from a song that got stuck in my head. Since it is a song I actually can stand, I have not taken measures to extract it from my brain.

This stim is not the same as singing, since it is a whisper & I am only using a few lines from the song: not the whole thing.

I sometimes scrunch my hands or hit out without hurting myself like on my face for example, or I'd make quiet noises like 'doosh' as in a tic kinda noise if things get on top of me, or if I'm lonely and over-think negative things that have happened like not being able to stand up for myself at work, or thinking about how my friend had left me, etc. My walls at home are paper-thin and I'm scared someone will hear me one day.

I repeatedly take my hands out of my pocket and put them back in when talking to certain people, or especially when presenting. I also crack my knuckles when nervous (I know I'm about to do it and cannot stop myself).

It sounds like some people here relish in the fact that they stim...

It's not a positive trait and it's something you should try your best to get control of. I stim plenty though I do not want to share it here atm. Stimming clouds your mind from things that you should be focusing on, that's a fact! It distracts you from thinking or feeling at a moment when that's exactly what you should be doing. Talking so nonchalantly about stimming tells me that some of you guys are almost proud of your stimming.

Sorry if I'm way off base here but that's just how I see it, reading these posts.

For me, they are positive because they are helpful. I know that for others that may watch or be affected that they can be annoying, but there are certain times that I NEED to do them or I feel very uncomfortable. For instance, I cannot sleep at night by laying still.

There are other times that I am unaware that I am doing it until it is brought to my attention. Some of these times come during periods of focus or concentration.

A lot of times, I don't realize I'm even doing it. When I'm aware of it, I can try to stop it, but it's harder to stop than it is to just keep doing it while focusing on other things. Most of mine are fairly small, so people don't see them. I move my fingers in certain ways, crack my knuckles (this started when I was dealing with a lot of pain in my hands and wrists because it relieved some of the pain, but now I can't stop it), tap my foot... What I do depends a lot on how overwhelmed I am, where I am, the trigger... In general, though, a knowledgable observer would likely be able to catch me stimming most of the time. It only bothers me when it's preventing me from accomplishing things, which has happened. Then I'm caught between the overwhelming urge to stim and my strong desire to continue with my life.

Actually, stimming seems to be a helpful pressure release valve. It lets me calm myself, then focus better. It releases some of the tension built up through sensory overload/social overwhelm. I know this is natural for me, because I stimmed (rocked) lots in my crib as an infant. Stimming eases pressure, keeps me level and calmed enough to do the things I need to do in my life.
My stims are rocking forward and back when sitting, or side to side when standing or lying, and hand flapping. Yes, I try very hard to be as discreet as possible in company. Social harmony is challenging enough for me as it is without alienating people due to odd motions. Sometimes, I can't easily help it, however.

I rock gently back and forth, or if I'm in my office chair side to side. I also pace and smoke, I don't know if those are considered stims or just nervous habits.

It varies. My main ones are pulling at the skin on my lips and pulling at my eyebrows.
Others include swaying and sort of odd hand movements.

Mine have increased recently due to a couple of stressful situations; finger movements, swaying from side to side - if in public - I have a tiny chain which I fiddle with (the kind on light switches), if at home rubbing the back of my hand & knuckles across my lips, also jiggling my foot.

I pick the skin on my lips and face, and unfortunately often make them bleed. I wish I could stop this one. I twirl my hair a lot, bounce my leg, and bite the inside of my cheek. My office chair is a rocking chair and I rock. I pace. When excited I have the urge to flap my hands and run from one side of the room to the other. If I find something interesting to read or watch I get up every 5 to 10 minutes to do this.

I sometimes scrunch my hands or hit out without hurting myself like on my face for example, or I'd make quiet noises like 'doosh' as in a tic kinda noise if things get on top of me, or if I'm lonely and over-think negative things that have happened like not being able to stand up for myself at work, or thinking about how my friend had left me, etc. My walls at home are paper-thin and I'm scared someone will hear me one day.
I'm also like this I'm glad I'm.not alone tbh haha I also touch the tips of.my.fingers with my thumb as well when.I'm out side or with people but.no on.picks up on.it they just say I fidget alot lol

Oh this is so me. Plus, if i'm talking to someone I 'fidget' by taking off my shoes with my feet, and when they're gone, I slip my feet back in my shoes and feel relieved that they're away, even if I like them or not. Small talk is so uncomfortable for me. You know what else really bothers me is when I feel like I'm doing ok in conversation, people will say 'awww' like I'm a child or say 'bless', then I stim wondering if I come across as weak as I feel inside. It's because I'm not scripted off guard. I save myself awkwardness by staying quiet a lot of the time, but I do try and be friendly and happy. It's when people really get to know me as well, they can tell I'm not comfortable and I really want to be, but can't. I'm at my happiest alone. I really need someone to look after me at times, though, but I'm staying single just now as I've been ****** over this year and my confidence has crashed.

Last edited:
Soup's stim of the day: Long, slow, blinks. This is a good stim for when you can't get to sleep, because slowly lowering your eyelids & leaving your eyes closed for a while then slowly opening them & leaving them open for a while requires a fair amount of eyelid control & you truly realize just how heavy your eyelids are!

Soup's stim of the day: Long, slow, blinks. This is a good stim for when you can't get to sleep, because slowly lowering your eyelids & leaving your eyes closed for a while then slowly opening them & leaving them open for a while requires a fair amount of eyelid control & you truly realize just how heavy your eyelids are!
Reminds me of a particular stim of mine. I do exactly the same thing, but once my eyes are fully closed, I...flex?...the muscles, or maybe it's rolling my eyes practically to the back of my head...I'm not entirely certain. It is almost painful and I hate when the urge comes up (especially while driving!).

Reminds me of a particular stim of mine. I do exactly the same thing, but once my eyes are fully closed, I...flex?...the muscles, or maybe it's rolling my eyes practically to the back of my head...I'm not entirely certain. It is almost painful and I hate when the urge comes up (especially while driving!).
I'll definitely try your technique!

Contorting my face, making repetitive noises, and banging my fingers against my forehead. When I'm happy, arm-flapping; when I'm stressed, rocking. I also obsessively bite my nails. :confused:

Arashi- I have read your post again and looked at what Gemendosi has written-some of my stims, had I ever done them at work, would have gotten me instantly fired-sadly they always found other reasons to let me go in the end though-I certainly did not mean to cause you any offense-I merely looked at a pattern and commented on it-some stims are passive in nature others can seem to be a little more aggressive in their outcomes-as long as you do not hurt yourself there would be little cause for concern. some of my behaviours in the past were definately on the self harm scale-just to reiterate I am in no way trying to press your buttons or deliberately cause you upset-if for some reason you find my posts irritating or offensive I will of course cease to communicate- just because we are all on the spectrum does not mean we will necessarily agree or get on-character clashes occur in our world just as in the neurotypical world.

I noticed you Used rolo- was that a form of annoyance? as in talking at someone rather than to them or even having a go at someone? I am not down with the nuances of computer chatting /forum and do not get all the subtleties

Can't speak for anyone else, but I use @name because in many websites that's how you can distinguish a post that replies to a specific person in the thread, and not the title post that's being discussed by the thread.

New Threads

Top Bottom