• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your preference for COLORS & MATERIALS?

For me, I have always been very sensitive with touch. I can feel the individual fibres in cloth. Nylon fibres are very harsh and sharp edged where as natural fibres are a lot softer and more rounded. In Australia we get a lot of cheap clothing from China that is also made of bamboo fibre, I like that, so soft to touch.

Also, I live in a hot climate, natural fibres absorb the sweat and carry it away from your skin, nylon traps the sweat against your skin and makes you hot and itchy. Nylon also creates a lot of static electricity and the material clings to your skin, very uncomfortable.

That is where my main aversion to plastics comes from but it carries through to the rest of my world. I also can't stand furniture with nylon coverings, the chair I spend most of my time in is leather. My sheets and bed linen are actually Linen, cotton. The thick quilt I cover myself with to sleep is synthetic fibre as it's warmer and more practical but there's two layers of cotton covering the outside of it.

I also don't like the feel of plastic cups and plates, mine are all glass or ceramic. Plastic also absorbs food particles and smells, materials like glass and ceramic do not.
Your perceptions are precise, I have to say, at least from your descriptions. Now I know a bit of why you don't like plastic. However, in China, the main reason for people like plastic might be its high price performance and its durability (compared with some weak materials). Bcoz natural materials, in my country, are much much much more expensive than it should be. I don't really understand, but people just cannot afford it for every single thing to be that material.

Btw, you are from Australia! That's why you say your country have a lot of animals XD I like Australia. My friends tell me the lives there are slow and pressureless...

My friends tell me the lives there are slow and pressureless...
Compared to much of the world this is true. It's mostly due to our low population, the more people vying for the same resources, the more they need to fight to survive. Life here is less of a struggle.

Guys, so where is your preference in between hard & soft shapes, and geometric & organic shapes?
Where is your position?
1672374675755.png

For me, hard, sharp, geometric. I like simple designs, practicality means more to me than appearance.

I use these for coffee and sugar in my kitchen:

b3ce75ca-613b-4965-a0a6-1f549ffe9f07.jpg

Because there is so much competition in China to find employment wages are very low compared to other countries, this keeps the price of products low. A lot of products from China are also of very high quality, combine that with a low price and buying from China makes sense.

I prefer cotton or similar materials for clothing, I don't like wool (except as socks) and anything that goes round the neck like a turtleneck collar is a big no to me, tight clothing is out too. Shiny nylon-like material is not a favorite and silk is worse, it feels so slippery and weird.
As for colours I prefer black, dark blue or dark greens but I do buy the occasional bright colour e.g red or orange.

Likes: wood, the kind of hard rubber you get on the back of mobile phones, plastic that's smooth but also slightly soft, hair/fur. Colours - burgandy, violet, indigo, teal.
Dislikes: cotton wool, scrunchy, squeeky plastic, plastic foam, linen. Colours - yellow, bright orange or green. Anything kitschy.

Because there is so much competition in China to find employment wages are very low compared to other countries, this keeps the price of products low. A lot of products from China are also of very high quality, combine that with a low price and buying from China makes sense.
yeah thats what I mean by cost performance is super high.

Btw, can you have a look at #24 and help position yourself in the matrix? Many thanks!

Last edited:
I prefer cotton or similar materials for clothing, I don't like wool (except as socks) and anything that goes round the neck like a turtleneck collar is a big no to me, tight clothing is out too. Shiny nylon-like material is not a favorite and silk is worse, it feels so slippery and weird.
As for colours I prefer black, dark blue or dark greens but I do buy the occasional bright colour e.g red or orange.
Good. Can you talk a bit about wood? How do you feel that. I saw a lot people here have mentioned this.

Or could you talk a bit more about what materials you prefer to except for clothing? I wonder more about the furnishings, home appliances, cooking machines, these kinds of stuff.

Btw, can you have a look at #24 and help position yourself in the matrix? Many thanks!

Likes: wood, the kind of hard rubber you get on the back of mobile phones, plastic that's smooth but also slightly soft, hair/fur. Colours - burgandy, violet, indigo, teal.
Dislikes: cotton wool, scrunchy, squeeky plastic, plastic foam, linen. Colours - yellow, bright orange or green. Anything kitschy.
Thanks for your reply. You could accept plastic with some particular finishing. That's quite different with the people here, most of them is 100% no to plastic.

Muted colors. Dark blue, olive, darker greys, earth tones.
My closet is almost all blues and black, soft pants. I like the look of denim and jeans,
but I can't stand to wear them.
I shop for clothes as @Outdated stated. By feel.
Always felt people might see me going from rack to rack feeling of materials between my thumb and fingers and wonder.
Glad I'm not the only one.

I love natural materials around me. Like a house made of stones or the log cabin look. Rustic. Big wooden beams inside and across ceilings.
Have a large room in current house with a natural cedar wall, one wall is all rock with the fireplace and high cathedral ceilings with beams. The entry foyer is made of stones. Love the textures and colors in the rock.
Tile and wood floors. No carpeting please.

I like dark wood cabinets. My bedroom furniture is black.
I like natural decorative accents, shells, rocks, crystals, plants, etc.
Don't know what it is about plastic stuff. Maybe it feels fake and flimsy?

Kitchen: Stainless steel look appliances and granite stone cookware.
Black glass topped stove.

Tapestry curtains and furniture. Distressed microfiber living room set. Brown.
And must have soft bedding with several fleece or cotton blankets.

Duality

Colors of Saffron and of the Desert. Clay soil, yellow/orange bright sunrises, gray-green of the chapparral and cacti. Rose red sumac berries, soft pink cactus apples.

Cool colors of the northwest coast. Purple sunsets, deep blue lakes, silver churning seas, deep green of doug fir, blackish gray green of the undercanopy, basalt rock, slate sky.

My favorite media are colored pencils and yarn.

Muted colors. Dark blue, olive, darker greys, earth tones.
My closet is almost all blues and black, soft pants. I like the look of denim and jeans,
but I can't stand to wear them.
I shop for clothes as @Outdated stated. By feel.
Always felt people might see me going from rack to rack feeling of materials between my thumb and fingers and wonder.
Glad I'm not the only one.

I love natural materials around me. Like a house made of stones or the log cabin look. Rustic. Big wooden beams inside and across ceilings.
Have a large room in current house with a natural cedar wall, one wall is all rock with the fireplace and high cathedral ceilings with beams. The entry foyer is made of stones. Love the textures and colors in the rock.
Tile and wood floors. No carpeting please.

I like dark wood cabinets. My bedroom furniture is black.
I like natural decorative accents, shells, rocks, crystals, plants, etc.
Don't know what it is about plastic stuff. Maybe it feels fake and flimsy?

Kitchen: Stainless steel look appliances and granite stone cookware.
Black glass topped stove.

Tapestry curtains and furniture. Distressed microfiber living room set. Brown.
And must have soft bedding with several fleece or cotton blankets.
You are showing a picture via the words XD. Precisely! I totally understood what you like. Good!

Duality

Colors of Saffron and of the Desert. Clay soil, yellow/orange bright sunrises, gray-green of the chapparral and cacti. Rose red sumac berries, soft pink cactus apples.

Cool colors of the northwest coast. Purple sunsets, deep blue lakes, silver churning seas, deep green of doug fir, blackish gray green of the undercanopy, basalt rock, slate sky.

My favorite media are colored pencils and yarn.
Thanks. You must be a poet. I like the images you describe, and I got your points.

New Threads

Top Bottom