• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your favourite smell? Is it linked to your obsessions?

Another thing on smells.. I didn't know for a fair few years that smells offend people..?

I always thought it was quite sad that someone put a notice on our old work microwaves "Please do not cook strong smelling foods in this microwave" I always found that a bit ridiculous.

Whenever I cook a curry, I love the smell it leaves in the house - why get rid of it!!

The scent of ozone just before a thunderstorm.
Those spring rolls they make with mint at Viet Huong in Huntsville, AL.
My best friend's incense.

I do enjoy sniffing the packet that holds Plantation Mint teabags. A really rich aroma of spearmint. Too good to just discard into the trash! Of course then comes the tea....a nice way to start a very cold morning.

I love the smell of ozone - I dry my clothing and sheets outdoors and love the smell. I love Pine Sol and anything resinous like pine sap and lavender; sage brush after it rains. I dislike anything "perfumy" Heavy flowery scents like roses. And pinon wood burning.

Coffee beans roasting, outdoors type smells like trees, leaves, campfires, rainy forest, snowy forest, pine needles warmed by sunshine, freshly made tea, anything baking that's made with apples, my kid's hair, the air on a summer morning where I live now, clean towels just out of the dryer, homemade soup. And lots more.

I like lots of smells. I love the smell of things baking. I also like the chemical smell of gasoline and some specific markers.

I don't usually like brash smells like flowers and perfume and can feel them hurt my head as I smell.

I like... Rainy day smell, a very clean house, some laundry detergent (usually the mild allergy free nearly scentless kinds), I usually like the regular "scentless" smell of my own body, too but not the B.O.smell. Fresh citrus fruits. My cucumber deodorant.

My favorite smell is also my special interest. My bird! I know that sounds nuts but he just smells so fresh and clean and bird-ish. Other 'bird-people' tend to really love or really despise this smell as well.

10363659_10152911334909546_1134082440952334854_n.jpg

I like the smell of rain, and for meltdown intervention, vetiver and frankincense. Chicken soup and garlic, too.

I love the smell of vinegar, and, no, I don't think it has anything to do with my obssesions but I'll check one more time.

*Sniffs manga*

Nope.

There is a connection between one of my favorite smells, which is a certain color from my favorite brand of watercolor paint and one of my obsessions, painting. Also love the clean smell when the windows are all open in the morning.

There is a connection between one of my favorite smells, which is a certain color from my favorite brand of watercolor paint and one of my obsessions, painting. Also love the clean smell when the windows are all open in the morning.
Ah... I love the smell of oil paints and green watercolour- the deeper, cooler colours of oil paints smell great.

Crayolas, wet dirt, beach, lilacs,
tom cat pee outside, pine trees,
pine wood, guys that work on
trucks/cars, old books, clothes
hung outside to dry, bread baking,
oranges, sweet gum blossoms

[QUOTE="tree, post: 230682, member: guys that work on
trucks/cars,

I wish you could convince my wife of that. She says I stink like grease and oil when I come home from work. She wont ride in my work truck for the same reason. I can't smell it at all.

calendula
Montana
just about any plant except deer brush when it's blooming and horse mint on hot days
Salty sandy beach smell
My kids
Incense juniper
Lemon
the many permutations of scents when approaching a clean mountain creek

Mi favorite scent is leather. I suppose it is related to one of my obsessions in that I did make my own guitar case and it is leather (also a nightmare if it gets wet but, I love it.)

One of my favorite obsession-related smells was, oddly enough, diesel fumes... One of my longtime obsessions was(and still is, to a point...) Disneyland, and since so many things in the park run on diesel(but mostly the fact that although the Disneyland Railroad is steam driven, they burn diesel instead of coal to heat the water), I've always sort of associated the scent of diesel fumes with Disneyland...

Another smell I like is the smell of old books... I've always been an avid reader(I taught myself to read when I was 2... at least that's what my mom always told me...), and for a while, when I was working one job, I used to go to a local used bookstore during my lunch break, and pick up an addition or 3 for my personal library... There's just something about books that e-readers will never replace... one of them is the smell of an old book...

Last edited:
There are so many smells that I like, I couldn't pick just one to be a favourite.

I like the smells of items that I use in conection with my interests.

In general people around me aren't aware of my fondness for smells. But I do notice and comment on smells more than I think most would and I do modify my behaviour and supress some impulses to smell things or people when I'm around others.

I haven't thought in terms of finding beauty in smells before. I'm quite obsessed with the experience of smelling the world around me though. There are afew smells that I find beautiful in themsleves but in general I enjoy smells because of the memories and eperiences they are connected too. I also enjoy simply experiencing the world around me through it's smells.

I don't like using a kindle because it doesn't smell like a book. I like to experience a book when I'm reading it and that includes what it smells like.

Dear Me!! I've never met someone who feels the same way about kindles as I do! I have to have the smell of a book. It is so comforting. It's like part of a book's character is missing when it just smells electronic.

I agree with both of you... among the things I prefer about actual physical books rather than e-books is the smell of old books, which is one of the things I like about used bookstores(or, as I like to call them, "Previously read book stores")...

New Threads

Top Bottom