• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your current special interest?

It's a little embarrassing, but over the last year or so I've developed an interest in following the British Royal Family. In kind of a ongoing reality show 'Real Royalty of Buckingham Palace' way.

The reason was that due to anxiety I have had to nearly go into a news blackout, and was looking for something light to read/follow regularly (in addition to more serious interest studies).

An I stumbled on The Royal Family because it was completely meaningless to me as a non-Brit and entertaining in a gossipy way.

And it does on occasion intersect with my history interest, which is one thing you can't take away from them - they got history.

Latest thing that I found exciting was that it seems they are going to fire the villainous Prince Phillip from his (purely ceremonial) job as Colonel of the Grenadier Guards.

1094981.jpg

And the new Colonel will likely be....

Kate-Middleton-wanted-by-Grenadier-Guards-to-replace-disgraced-Prince-Andrew-as-their-colonel.jpg

Very cool I think. First female Colonel ever, and the regiment formed in 1656.

For those into thriller/horror the new series on Netflix 'Archive 81' is I think is much better then average. I am about half way thru the season and it's intelligent, not gory and very spooky.

My "default" interests have always been Harry Potter and Star Wars. There are several other scifi and fantasy series I love, but I've been hooked on HP and SW since I was 6-8 years old. I think a large part of the reason I wasn't diagnosed until adulthood is because my special interests just made me seem nerdy. No one knew that I wrote fanfiction continuously in classes or zoned out in social settings to "watch" scenes from the books & movies in my head. It never occurred to me that it was abnormal LOL.

I had a brief phase recently where I was fixated on the history of witchcraft in the UK and Ireland. I checked out every book my public library had to offer on the subject, which wasn't much, and the phase ended once I ran out of easily accessible reading material.

Hi all,

I had many special interests from my childhood to adolescence and continuing.

When I was 4 years old, I was obsessed with Disney Cars, Thomas the Tank Engine, and Disney Planes. Four years later, the obsessions subsided.

At age 9, I was obsessed with the FIFA World Cup (football/soccer tournament). I wanted to know everything about who won the World Cup from 1930-2014. That obsession went away in a couple of months. I still remember the facts to this day!

At age 10, I was obsessed with the American Revolution. I wanted to know everything about it. After some months, the obsession went away.

At age 11, my special interest was Apple devices. I wanted to know everything about iOS software updates and the release dates of iPhones, iPads, iPods, Macs, etc.

From age 12, my special interest was plugs and voltages. The special interest is still ongoing.

However, at the same time, I was addicted to Clash of Clans (video game made by Supercell) and Grand Theft Auto/GTA. I was addicted to those games from 2016 to 2019.

When I started high school at age 14, my special interest was clocks and time zones, and electricity. It was the only thing I talked about. A special interest on plugs, voltages, frequencies, and electrical sockets/outlets, popped up subtly and started intensely increasing. I wanted to know everything about the plugs and voltages used around the world. The fascination with reading about time zones and electricity around the world had got to such a point that it was the only topic I talked about in school and (mostly) at home.

The special interests about time zones and electricity (plugs/voltages/frequencies/sockets/outlets) are still ongoing since August 2019.

Recently, in April 2022, another special interest popped up, this time about the battery performance of electronic devices.

So, now I have three special interests: clocks and time zones, electricity (plugs/voltages/sockets/outlets), and the battery performance of electronic devices.

Regards,

SRSAutistic

Last edited:
IMG_20220528_223844_939.jpg
IMG_20220601_223754_464.jpg

Messing around with watercolour illustrations for my Strangeways parables. Not much good, but also not dreadful.

My biggest interest is probably on how we make decisions, and the function and role of altruism in biology (stuff like the Price equation and Hamiltonian spite). I was obsessed with the question in high-school but since starting University I haven't really had the time to spare on it, and it's very difficult to research.

A related interest which has followed me for even longer is choices in games and books. I have a large interest in gamebooks (or choose your own adventure style works), but I'm focused on more modern "adult" works (not in a sexual sense). Most of the good ones are by amateurs or people who self publish, and you need to wade through oceans of bad writing before catching something worth reading, but there are some absolute gems out there. I always read up to every story path and every ending if I find something good.

My favourite short story (Bestist Frend Jane) is an online gamebook. I really recommend it for those interested (it reminds me of Brokeback Mountain) and is the only media to make me cry for most likely over a decade when I read it for the second time (including all endings) Bestist Frend Jane > ChooseYourStory.com. For more lighthearted reading I also recommend the Loners trilogy on Amazon/Kindle by Rudolf Kerkhoven and Daniel Pitts. They are all really funny, particularly the Redemption of Mr. Sturlubok which is among my favourite novels.

There are really only two pieces of media I have gotten obsessive over. Spec Ops: The Line was my favourite story (despite being a game), and still might be. It has some flaws, and is of its time, but I was seriously obsessed with it for a long time. I watched about 7 different people play through it blind on YouTube, read numerous interviews by the lead writer Walt Williams (and am considering buying a book he wrote on his career). I bought and read an ebook some fan wrote about the game (Killing is Harmless. It wasn't very good), watched a play someone made for it on YouTube (it was bad) and have seen numerous analysis videos of it. I even considered writing a script for the game. The only thing I haven't done is... actually play it.

The other is Omori. It is more recent than Spec Ops: the Line, but is another video game. This one came out a year and a half ago. I really really liked it, when I first saw a playthrough of it a year ago, but didn't become obsessive until I bought the soundtrack last December. I don't want to spoil it, but I strongly recommend playing it as blind as possible (though there are some serious trigger warnings you should take heed of). Oh yeah, and I also haven't played it (maybe my actual special interest is saving money).

More recently, it has been the war happening in Ukraine. I never cared much about warfare, or wars, but I spend around 2 hours per day following it (sometimes more, sometimes less). I follow troop movements, smaller battles and victories, the larger political decisions surrounding the war, the cultures of the two nations and how they relate to the current status of the war, interviews and intercepted calls by Ukrainian and Russian soldiers as well as opinions on how the war will go or what the best decisions to take are. It isn't very healthy, but you can't deny that it is interesting.

Feel free to message me about any of my special interests. I don't really have anyone to talk to about them, but I love deep dive analysis. In particular, let me know about any legitimately good, modern gamebooks, as those are hard to find. I prefer them to be long, have completely different branching paths (A lot of "gamebooks" on phones nowadays have lots of meaningless choices while you are railroaded through the main story), let you follow the story as a character (not a self insert) and well written. Oh yeah, and I'm not interested in romance unless it is only a part of a really good story.

At this moment I've been obsessed with the demonstration for Fermat´s last theorem (Andrew Wiles, 1995). Still Far from fully understanding it but yet fascinated by its elegance and complexity! I got to the point of only being able to fall asleep while listening to some lectures on elliptic curves and modular forms. That motly brings me joy! But sometimes a little frustration too..!

I managed to find the Lego Super Mario ? Block at my local Target last night and I immediately grabbed it as it was the last one on the shelf. I wasn’t going to let it evade me any longer. I have done three out of the thirteen bags so far.

Trilobites. Ancient arthropods. This is Walliserops hammi. I suspect it is the female to the W. trifurcatus which has the trident extending further out and used it like rhinoceros beetles use their horns in sexual competition.
20231126_110253.jpg

Last edited:
Lately I've been putting in a fair amount of time and research into preparing myself for receiving a "NDIS" package of disability support.
Autism peer support is a recent passion, here, and on youtube.
Automatic writing is something I've been developing, and channelling. I fairly recently went on a collecting fad of buying second hand Jane Roberts/Seth books, which I find fascinating. Titles include "The Nature of Personal Reality," and one's that's beside my bed "Adventures in Consciousness". I've also been doing some neuroscience and endocrinology research. I also have "Molecules of Emotion" by Candace B, Pert PhD by my bed and borrowed from the library "Brain Rules for Ageing Well" by John Medina.

I've also been getting back into singing and watching talent show singing auditions. My youngest son is also learning to sing and we do some singing together. He recently found a song for us to practise from Phantom of the Opera, as it has parts for a Soprano, like me, and a Bass/Baritone for him. We are not really into opera per say, but it's a good one to practise for vocal training, together.

I'm also finishing off a knitted hoody jacket for my two year old grand daughter. I've dyed some of the wool I used, with natural, kitchen scrap dyes; onion skins is one of my favorites and I'm collecting them for another dying stint, as well as avocado skins and seeds (they make a pale pinky/mushroom brown colour).

I'm going to attend, for the first time, this coming monday; a mental health peer support arts group (so up my alley, I, myself am trained as a mental health perr support worker and am a Very Artsy Nerd) and will be doing some finishing touches to the embroidery on the hoody.
I will post pictures somewhere in this forum when finished. I showed it to my support worker on friday and she was like "It's way more beautiful than I expected" which was nice.

I got to talk to my support worker about a couple of long term fields of study/passions on friday too, Astrology and Mycology. I also found a free book on Astronomy, on friday, to go with my Astrology study. I'm into studying Astrology in an empirical way to determine it's validity, and also the history of. Got a book on the go, called; "Hellenistic Astrology; The study of fate and fortune" and The Hermetica by Hermes Trismugustus, except I've misplaced that one.

I've recently got back into reading novels as well, my support worker got me into Jodi Picoult, who I quite enjoyed. I read "The Book of Two Ways" a complicated love story, involving two Egyptologists and a physicist obsessed with Shrodingers cat and their daughter (the physicist raised her and then they all found out the Egyptologist was her bio dad). It was a very satisfying read. I have more of her books to read.

And I've been into murder mysteries for a while, mostly series and movies, and some grizzly real life murder stories on youtube.
Also studying the nature of narcissism and other "dark triad" personality disorders.

I have more, but that will do for now.

Resting, sleeping, books especially novels, watercolour painting just at the moment because I need to do something relaxing for my well-being, idk what else.
If I could sit around doing painting, reading books and watching movies and tv I could be genuinely happy.
And then just go out occasionally shopping, to the library
But happiness just does not seem to knock at my door when I have suffered so much already and just do not understand. So that is why I can say I did my best and give up.
I try to not give up but I am tired of being screwed over in the worse ways possible

I like to exercise whenever possible.
I dabble in guitar. Recently, I started messing around with DADGAD for the first time. Wish I'd tried it earlier.
I read science fiction, fantasy, and horror. Occasionally I try my hand at writing.

New Threads

Top Bottom