• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is it like to believe?

Also... if wisdom is given to man by God, why not trust the wisdom of men?

Mark 11: 22-24 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

Best answer is this. Man lies. He can and has manipulated truth into untruth. Disgusting lies as fact. We see in this age. Where facts are twisted into whatever helps that person needs to achieve their goals. Including the invention of new Faith's to enhance their power and standing. The Bible is full of examples of this. The Pharisses were one such group. But another is the church divisions. All the different churches of Christian's resulted from different interpretation s of the scripture s. Along with how best to observe them. From your earlier posts I think your familar with this.

I think that the Bible assumes that all can believe. Also... if wisdom is given to man by God, why not trust the wisdom of men?

I am curious... do you receive all things that you ask for in prayer? I would take that as evidence of a listening God.

Also, why chose Christianity over other religions?

I have seen my prayers come to pass many times. I recently came three a hurricane that many of us were convinced would be the end for us and our homes. It was the very first time a hurricane warning was issued for us. Our homes would not withstand those winds. We came three it unscathed our lights went out. But our homes untouched. No one was killed or injured. Other times I was sick or had pain. The medicine was working and after praying. Believing the pain would go away it did. But it takes beleif without doubt.

As for why Christianity. It's the name of the faith. I believe in God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. I have faith as in trust what is in the Bible is the truth as it is written. But I also like the fact it speaks of a time when death itself will be destroyed.

John3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

I think that faith within the family is very helpful for holding people together. Although my family was so totally dysfunctional, I can't imagine faith would have helped. My mother liked sociopaths and the overly "religious" ones are the stuff of nightmares.

Generally Buddhism has proven itself to me. Culturally it is like any other religion with people worshipping Buddha... but on a private level it is very scientific and clicks quite well. Meditation is very powerful and I would feel highly unsettled without it at this point. I don't know if Buddha existed (likely in some person or an amalgam of people). I simply focus on the lessons it teaches as I do with things I find in other religions.

For me, Buddhism is simply logical.
So you understand, I'm like a search engine say for instance you say believe and I will give you everything, I've got ,no judgement just what a search engine would give ,its happened with other people ,I'm more about wanting quietness and trying to get it,it might seem like it I've been a Christian for 24 years so I'm that 24\7 ,if you were an atheist what you could retrieve is about atheism, I've got nothing else apart from the fact that I'm not G-d,also think I'm specifically an apostle as opposed to a martyr or a prophet.

So you understand, I'm like a search engine say for instance you say believe and I will give you everything, I've got ,no judgement just what a search engine would give ,its happened with other people ,I'm more about wanting quietness and trying to get it,it might seem like it I've been a Christian for 24 years so I'm that 24\7 ,if you were an atheist what you could retrieve is about atheism, I've got nothing else apart from the fact that I'm not G-d,also think I'm specifically an apostle as opposed to a martyr or a prophet.

Streetwise... I am just so happy that you talked with me about belief. I totally respect your beliefs :)

All concepts in everything from religion to astrology are metaphorical in nature to me and have deep value.

I am sharing my internal reactions to help others understand how I think not being able to believe. It has always been a challenge for me when I try to form relationships.

For example... I feel that autism has a very low probability of existing in the way many psychologists think about it. This forces me to come up with an opposing theory. If I could believe... it would save me lots of mental cycles. I have to redefine everything in language and words that are different from what most people use. It is very challenging to communicate this way and leaves me feeling horribly isolated and misunderstood.

I would say that I am a being of pure heart. When I love... I love with the purest most honest non-expectational energy I can give. My heart has a strong and accurate compass... just no words. Maybe in your mind you would see that as the feeling of Christ.

I care about people that I have never met and do not know. I want these people to experience happiness and joy and be pulled from misery and pain. In my mind there is a metaphor in the "bodhisattva of compassion", Avalokiteshvara. It is a metaphor to me that ties in to a deep spiritual nature.

It is very difficult when people see my heart then lose it because of my different communication. I sometimes like to say that I am pretty extreme for an aspie. The funny (ironic) thing is that many people think I am NT.

Would you say that Christianity has helped your feelings of isolation?

I have seen my prayers come to pass many times. I recently came three a hurricane that many of us were convinced would be the end for us and our homes. It was the very first time a hurricane warning was issued for us. Our homes would not withstand those winds. We came three it unscathed our lights went out. But our homes untouched. No one was killed or injured. Other times I was sick or had pain. The medicine was working and after praying. Believing the pain would go away it did. But it takes beleif without doubt.

As for why Christianity. It's the name of the faith. I believe in God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. I have faith as in trust what is in the Bible is the truth as it is written. But I also like the fact it speaks of a time when death itself will be destroyed.

John3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Thank you for helping me to understand your beliefs better! I can never be a Christian (or anything really) but I can see the power of such beliefs and I am happy that you have found something that sustains you :)

As I asked Streetwise, does Christianity help in your isolation?

Thank you for helping me to understand your beliefs better! I can never be a Christian (or anything really) but I can see the power of such beliefs and I am happy that you have found something that sustains you :)

As I asked Streetwise, does Christianity help in your isolation?

I'll tell you a story. But understand this something very personal so please be gentle. Many years ago I was struggling badly. It was a time of failure, confusion, and hatred. It got so bad I lost the will to live. For three days I hovered. Attacked by doubts and fears. Every hope and dream that sustained me was destroyed. I was falling into a dark abyss. Holding onto a thin string. If not for God and Jesus I would have let go. They kept me alive and drove back the fear and doubts. Kept me on the rope and held me up. On the third day I hovered. No longer assualted by doubt or fear. But having no dreams or will to push me forward. Until God blessed me with a dream. In it I found the hope and will I needed to rebuild and push forward. There is no science or probability to support that dream ever existing now or in the future. But I have faith with God it will. Apologies if I don't tell you directly. The wounds are still a little raw.

I'll tell you a story. But understand this something very personal so please be gentle. Many years ago I was struggling badly. It was a time of failure, confusion, and hatred. It got so bad I lost the will to live. For three days I hovered. Attacked by doubts and fears. Every hope and dream that sustained me was destroyed. I was falling into a dark abyss. Holding onto a thin string. If not for God and Jesus I would have let go. They kept me alive and drove back the fear and doubts. Kept me on the rope and held me up. On the third day I hovered. No longer assualted by doubt or fear. But having no dreams or will to push me forward. Until God blessed me with a dream. In it I found the hope and will I needed to rebuild and push forward. There is no science or probability to support that dream ever existing now or in the future. But I have faith with God it will. Apologies if I don't tell you directly. The wounds are still a little raw.

Wolfsage, that is beautiful! I am so happy that you had that experience and it helped you :) No need to apologize. I do not need to know the specifics. I have experienced this generally. I have had so much heartbreak in my life and lost so many people that I have loved.

In my case, I can self-heal. It takes time, but it works. I can now handle the most intense and painful energy by doing something called Tonglen where I breathe in pain and exhale joy. It helps when I want to heal someone I love without being burnt by their pain.

I also learned to pre-emptively break my own heart so that I can let go. In fact I am doing that right now. Hurts like hell but I can control it so it is much better than someone else breaking it! :)

I've had some rough times since. Including an episode that nearly shattered my sanity. I still have some left over damage from that one. But I'm healing God saw me threw it. Along with this dream.

Do you want something to believe in? Or are you just curious? Or is it both?

Well... belief is utterly foreign to me. I am pretty sure that my brain is not wired that way. I want to understand those who believe and I want to be understood by them. It is more than curiosity... it is an aspect of the human race that I do not get. If I could wish belief on myself, I would not. I am ok with myself and I am ok with people who believe.

What is it like to believe?
IMX (before Salvation), my soul was analogous to a stand-alone computer, even a relatively high-performance one.

Continuing the analogy, my only inputs were
  • a local keyboard,
  • a local mouse &
  • a local drive.
My only outputs were
  • a local monitor &
  • a local printer.
When I got Saved, it was like my modem (which I didn't even know I had) was refurbished, and the internet service was activated. I retained all of my original features --I still looked the same, outwardly-- but now, was connected to Something bigger than myself with way more than just my native input/output resources (as given above).
4SLaws
Like an internet-connected computer, my soul regularly receives updates!
full

(They only used to come through my drive, on occasion.
full
)

In my travels, I have found that some churches have been more autism-friendly than others, like
(They are present in other countries, as well.)

Last edited:
Well... belief is utterly foreign to me. I am pretty sure that my brain is not wired that way. I want to understand those who believe and I want to be understood by them. It is more than curiosity... it is an aspect of the human race that I do not get. If I could wish belief on myself, I would not. I am ok with myself and I am ok with people who believe.

Ah. I see. So your trying to understand beleif as a part of mankind's culture and why that is.

If I could wish belief on myself, I would not.

I like to see it like this. We know our limitations in this life. Everyone has things they want to do but can't. For many reasons. Then you die. Without fulfilling any of your dreams. It's not a happy thought. But God promises eternal life to those who believe. That our Lord and savior Jesus Christ who is the son of the living God died on the cross for our sins. He rose again after three days and ascend Ed to Heaven. Eternal life after death. Gives hope to people. Jesus also speaks of treasure s in Heaven.

Matthew 6:19- 6:21 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

I believe this refers to hopes and dreams. That we are unable to do here. So long as they are not evil, or sinful. I checked the Bible to find out for sure.

I was thinking about you and I thought logical or relative ,it is logical to me, what you believe is logical you, do believe just not what I believe ,so you do have a God ,one definition of God is whatever you think about the most,that's why the G-d of Abraham, Isaac (Yitzak-i say that as English interpretations of Hebrew words don't fulfill me )Jacob(Yacov)is so worried about humans as what they worship(think about the most) can (didn't!!!! say everything apart from Christianity(following Yeshua))destroy them.
There is part of Christian worship a spontaneous thought 'get out of your head and into your heart '
Another G-d is spirit and we communicate spiritually ,old term deep calls unto deep with groanings that the mind cannot conceive of,that's where you are concentrating instead of your spirit .

Hi. Believer here who went through an agnostic stage from 2002-2005. Husband is irreligious; I met him in 2004.

What keeps me in faith is largely two things. #1, I strongly believe in purpose, goals, order. Without these things, civilization struggles. #2, I think Jesus had the highest morality and the greatest purpose of all. Every person and every civilization struggles with lawlessness, injustice, imperfection, suffering, death. Jesus is the only one I think lived perfectly, rightly. So I believe what He says.

Hmm... interesting topic. And, judging by the "strictly enforced" statement about keeping this civil, I'm going to risk getting involved. I typically avoid any discussion about religion, because it's mostly over my head, and people tend to react negatively to my descriptions of what I do believe. If pushed, I often will settle for "spiritual, but not religious", which is not only usually acceptable, but becoming more common in recent years.

I do believe in order in the universe. I do believe in purpose. I do believe everything happens for a reason, even if we don't know what that reason is, and we may never know. I do believe there is more to the universe than we can explain. (For that matter, there is more to the human brain than we can explain, and that's only a very tiny piece of the universe as a whole!) I want to believe in the paranormal, within reason, but I was raised in a Western society, and therefore, have a Western mind which tends to default to "prove it to me, or it doesn't exist."

I cannot believe in some person-shaped omnipotent, omniscient being in control, because my life experiences have taught me that people are incapable of being that intelligent. As a general rule, people are stupid. Individual people can be intelligent, up to a point well short of omniscience. As a species, we engage in war and widespread environmental destruction, and cannot seem to figure out how not to. I'm not a pacifist, or an environmentalist. I'm not even a peace maker. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Next to "people are stupid", one of my other default beliefs is "never underestimate the depravity of human beings." I believe kindness exists, I believe compassion exists. I've experienced a fair bit of both directed towards me. I try to practice both as continually as it's possible for a homo sapiens to do. However, I've also experiended abuse and maltreatment, and discrimination, and more trauma than anyone should have to in several lifetimes. I've experienced, and witnessed (in various forms, with varying degrees of connection) people doing horrific, destructive, unspeakably cruel things to each other, including those helpless to protect themselves, just for the sake of it.

I do believe in a non-corporeal Creator. One akin to the Native American (or First Nations, depending on which country you live in) idea of a Great Spirit. I do believe animals, trees, water, etc. have spirits of their own. I believe those spirits can be Guides and protectors to those of us of the two-legged variety.

I do not claim any particular connection to anything that would infringe on things that those of Aboriginal descent feel is theirs alone. I would not want to be seen as appropriating another's culture for disreputable reasons. However, I relate better to the traditional Aboriginal ideas of spirituality than I do any form of organized religion.

Oh, also, many Buddhist ideas make sense to me, but I will never be a Buddhist either.

I do believe the universe wants the best for us, and wants to help us. (Goes back to everything happens for a reason), as much as an entity that big, and disparate, can. I have no opinion, or evidence either way, on whether the universe is sentient or not. I do believe that we do not exist only to suffer. The goal is fulfillment, satisfaction, and purpose. How any of that happens, and what it looks like is a very individual thing.

Ummm... and that's the end of my current brain power on the subject, whether or not it's the end of everything I hold in my head on the subject. :D.

Ah. I see. So your trying to understand beleif as a part of mankind's culture and why that is.

I used to have a hard time comprehending the concept of religion in general too. And then I took and Anthropology course on the subject, that explained it's origins, and how it's the result of a basic human instinct/drive to understand the universe, and things that can't be explained. It really helped me finally understand the underlying concept, and how it evolved into what we have now. At least the basics.

I wish I could remember the exact evolution of it all, (well, the point form version), but it was a long time ago, and I'm not about to go digging. Essentially, though, there was something about rituals were created by early 'man' in order to try to give order and meaning to the mysteries of life, and religion is essentially codified rituals, only much elaborated. (not explaining this very well).

Just looked up the textbook we used. Here's the info. for it.
Anthropology of Religion: The Unity and Diversity of Religions. by Richley H. Crapo. (old as it is)

I used to have a hard time comprehending the concept of religion in general too. And then I took and Anthropology course on the subject, that explained it's origins, and how it's the result of a basic human instinct/drive to understand the universe, and things that can't be explained. It really helped me finally understand the underlying concept, and how it evolved into what we have now. At least the basics.

I wish I could remember the exact evolution of it all, (well, the point form version), but it was a long time ago, and I'm not about to go digging. Essentially, though, there was something about rituals were created by early 'man' in order to try to give order and meaning to the mysteries of life, and religion is essentially codified rituals, only much elaborated. (not explaining this very well).

Anthropology of Religion: The Unity and Diversity of Religions. by Richley H. Crapo. (old as it is)

Find one of my threads called Special Friend. I have a more personal view on religion.

There's a lot of historical and anthropological evidence in the Bible. It's said that throughout history many anthropologist have used the Bible as a reference guide.

I used to not believe at all, before I had personal experiences. Which I don't want to put those here because I don't want to make it seem like I don't like atheists (I don't mind them at all, I live with one in fact). So if you don't believe, that's fine by me. It's not a necessary thing and it shouldn't be because it's not for everyone and it used to really not be for me. I don't care what others believe so long as it's a positive thing for them.

Meanwhile I am still at least partly agnostic, I do believe in the possibility of other higher beings existing (it's not a concrete fact for me). I'd describe it like...I can nearly "sense" someone watching me. At times the sensation will get to be so much that I will have to turn around to look to see if someone's there because it almost feels like there's someone looking at the back of my neck or my head but there never will be anyone there. Sure it's a bit paradoxical but that's what believing is like for me. Believing has helped me before, I can say that for sure.

New Threads

Top Bottom