• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is it like to be a college student?

Douglas Thompson

V.I.P Member
Hey, I'm a college student who is trying to complete my degree. I'm doing a study about other college students with Asperger's, HFAD, or some other type of ASD. I'm having a hard time getting enough participants for the study because I am overwhelmed and get really anxious when I try to ask people to join the study or convince them to answer a few questions. Is there anyone who would be willing to complete two Google forms and help me get through this? If I can't complete this degree, I don't know what I will do.

Here is the link to the first form. It's more of a free answer form: What is it like to be a college student?

Here's the second one. The questions are more specific: Questions about Going to College

Everything that needs to be answered for the study can be done in under an hour (both forms). I can't describe how happy I will be if I can get 10 people to answer the questions.

Last edited:
Qualitative surveys are quite laboursome and you might not get as many participants as you'd like... They're also harder to analyse for meaningful answers. What degree are you doing?

You may want to consider a quantitative survey - they are faster and less stressful both for yourself and the participant. They'll also be much easier to process and show results from in the write-up too ... I've done this type of research in my first degree and I also know the perils of anxiety... While I like to help people who are doing their degrees - so far, most of the questionnaires posted here have been fast paced as they just required "Strongly Agree - Strongly Disagree" type of response. Two surveys which could take an hour... I could do one, but .. two is quite a lot... ;_;

I'm on my third degree in a STEM field currently and have noticed that in Computing / Engineering / Maths there is a higher proportion of people who appear to be on the spectrum. Is there a way you can send out emails to pupils in these faculties asking to be research participants? I know in my university there have been targeted emails of this nature, so it's really not a big deal. For an hour's worth of participation, usually an incentive should also be provided - like a small gift card or something. Yes, it's an extra cost, but it could actually get people involved.

Qualitative surveys are quite laboursome and you might not get as many participants as you'd like... They're also harder to analyse for meaningful answers. What degree are you doing?

You may want to consider a quantitative survey - they are faster and less stressful both for yourself and the participant. They'll also be much easier to process and show results from in the write-up too ... I've done this type of research in my first degree and I also know the perils of anxiety... While I like to help people who are doing their degrees - so far, most of the questionnaires posted here have been fast paced as they just required "Strongly Agree - Strongly Disagree" type of response. Two surveys which could take an hour... I could do one, but .. two is quite a lot... ;_;

I'm on my third degree in a STEM field currently and have noticed that in Computing / Engineering / Maths there is a higher proportion of people who appear to be on the spectrum. Is there a way you can send out emails to pupils in these faculties asking to be research participants? I know in my university there have been targeted emails of this nature, so it's really not a big deal. For an hour's worth of participation, usually an incentive should also be provided - like a small gift card or something. Yes, it's an extra cost, but it could actually get people involved.
Thank you.

I did it!
You just need 9 more ducks!
Thank you for answering those questions. As stated in the first form, I will only include your answers with your clear consent. You can provide clear consent through the consent form for the study.

Attachments

• Study Consent Form_2019.pdf
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
I answered them. Took me a while. But I don't have anything else to do today anyway, so I had time.

I enjoyed my college experience. Found that aside from a few challenges that anyone could have I enjoyed my college experience.

I enjoyed my college experience. Found that aside from a few challenges that anyone could have I enjoyed my college experience.
I'm glad you shared that.
You are welcome to complete my survey. I would really enjoy including your unique insight. If you want, you can access two survey forms through these links.

Here is the link to the first form. What is it like to be a college student?

Here's the second one. The questions are more specific: Questions about Going to College

Again, any unique perspective that you share would be awesome.

Thanks everyone for sharing your insights. I almost have all the participants that I need. If you know of anyone who could help, please let me know. I am learning so much about what other college students go through. Just one or two more people would make a big difference.

I'm from the UK, where our college/university system is a bit different. Would I be any use to you in your study? I remember the stress of trying to find participants, so I would definitely like to help out if possible!

I'm from the UK, where our college/university system is a bit different. Would I be any use to you in your study? I remember the stress of trying to find participants, so I would definitely like to help out if possible!
Any insight that you can share would be appreciated. You are more than welcome to answer the questions.

I completed them. It was actually quite cathartic getting my thoughts down like that :D Good luck with your project!

New Threads

Top Bottom