• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you think of animals?

Ruby

I heard that many autistics are into animals and some can relate to and get along better with other animals more than humans. I was wondering how much you guys really like animals besides humans and whether any of you aren't into animals.

Couldnt care less about animals.

I oppose animal cruelty, but I'm no more attached to animals than I am to my ipad. Actually, much less!

Couldnt care less about animals.

I oppose animal cruelty, but I'm no more attached to animals than I am to my ipad. Actually, much less!

That sums up exactly how I feel :)

(but wouldn't it be "I could care less...")

I am very attached to certain animals. I'm more attached to dogs than cats, even though Charlotte has several that we have had to foster out.

I'm more attached to my friends King Charles spaniel Toby and their other dog who died while under our care last year. I still miss her and think about her all the time. She was my lil girl too :-(

I have had pets for most of my life, but I tend to like cats best because they are independent like me. A dog is actually a better choice for me because then I have to get out everyday and take it for walks. I have a huge problem with going out anywhere because of my anxiety disorder, and a dog helps me feel safer. It also gives me something to talk about if I run into someone I know. Let's face it, for many of us, conversation is really difficult and that's certainly true for me!

(but wouldn't it be "I could care less...")

Nope! :D That seems to be how non-English say it, but it gives an opposite meaning to that which is intended.

If I could care less then it implies that I have some feeling for something.

I constantly crave attention and dogs are more willing to give that attention, more than cats as they only do things when they want to.

I'm very close to my German Shepherd. There's a very special bond because I grew up sort of ignored and I pickled up the same vibes with the dog. So, we gradually developed a special friendship. I'm also convinced he picked up on the autism aspect in a way I can't comprehend but he does seem to see me as different than other people. In fact, it's fair to say that 90 per cent of my recovery from depression is connected to this dog and I learned that caring for animals is very therapeutic.

I heard that many autistics are into animals and some can relate to and get along better with other animals more than humans. I was wondering how much you guys really like animals besides humans and whether any of you aren't into animals.

If I could care less then it implies that I have some feeling for something.

That's how it should work, but for some reason someone decided that it should mean the opposite.
-*-
As far as the animals are concerned, I have a fear of dogs because my uncle's Labrador Retriever tried to maul me when I was quite young. Cats I let come to me, and they do - boy, do they ever.

Animals are better than most people. Humans SUCK!

I've always loved animals, true some I cant stand but for the most I love them especially cats (I love cats) and birds. I've always had books on animals around me and even the toy blocks that were used to teach me the alphabet had animals on them. I think I must of been the only child in New Zealand to say Anteater before I could say my name properly (Anteater was my favorite word as a toddler).

Last night my pooch raided my rucksack while I was in the kitchen. I came out to see him tucking into a pack of chocolate biscuits. By the time I got them back there was only half left!! How he picked up the scent in the first place is beyond me but he managed to open the rucksack as well as open up the biscuit box.

I've always loved animals, true some I cant stand but for the most I love them especially cats (I love cats) and birds. I've always had books on animals around me and even the toy blocks that were used to teach me the alphabet had animals on them. I think I must of been the only child in New Zealand to say Anteater before I could say my name properly (Anteater was my favorite word as a toddler).

I prefer many other animals, mostly reptiles, to humans as their behaviour is less determined by emotion so is easier to understand and work with.

I prefer many other animals, mostly reptiles, to humans as their behaviour is less determined by emotion so is easier to understand and work with.

That;s true. I can let my guard down with animals (especially cats) because 'emotion' doesn't get in the way as it does with other people.

I prefer animals over people.

Especially horses, they're my obsession. I have two, they give me routine, responsibility, goals, sometimes adrenaline rush, I can communicate with people much better if there's a horse beside me, not to mention that horses are much easier for me to read than people, and I know what to expect from them.

I like dogs and cats too, but horses are the most important.

I love rabbits. I have a 5-year-old pet rabbit who lives with my parents - he's very spoilt and I travel nearly an hour each way to visit him 1-2 times a week.

Though I'm terrified of dogs, it scares me how they jump up on you and they can be unpredictable if you don't know them well.

I love rabbits. I have a 5-year-old pet rabbit who lives with my parents - he's very spoilt and I travel nearly an hour each way to visit him 1-2 times a week.

Though I'm terrified of dogs, it scares me how they jump up on you and they can be unpredictable if you don't know them well.

I get that so much from dogs. I've been in numerous houses where the dog(s) just become obsessed with me and follow me around...

New Threads

Top Bottom