• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you see...?

Did you create this image?

I see that the image is named "black-dot-only-1024x683.jpg". 1024 is a nice round number, but 683 is a bit odd (har!), so I'm guessing this image was manually created.

The bit depth is 24, so 3 bytes per pixel (if I understand correctly). If there was no compression, the file size should be 699,392 bytes (plus whatever header is needed to specify encoding). The fact that the file is only 162,696 bytes indicates that the jpg compression is a little better than 4-1.

I would have expected more compression for a file that only contains a single black dot. I brought the image up in an editor and tried to flood-fill the white - and saw that there are various shades of white in this image (because it wouldn't flood-fill the whole thing at once).

When I try to flood-fill the white, it also exposes some repeated horizontal patterns. The repetition is consistent down to the pixel. I'm really not sure what to make of those.

The black is mostly the same color, but there is some small variation. There's also some anti-aliasing if you zoom in.

So, now I think this wasn't created digitally. Did someone just draw a black circle on a piece of paper and scan it?

If the image was scanned horizontally, the repetitive motion of the scanner's rollers might explain the horizontal patterns. That would mean that a small desktop scanner was used (one that rolls the paper through, like a fax machine), not a large part-of-a-copy-machine scanner.

The image data says it's 96dpi which would put it at 10.7"x 7.1" - so I'm guessing the black dot was drawn on a sheet of 8.5"x11" and scanned in. The scanner didn't reach the margins, I'm guessing? It would make sense to feed it in longways, which is consistent with the paperfeed scanner idea.

Here's the copy where I tried to flood-fill with orange. You can see the patterns created:
black-dot-only-1024x683 2.jpg

My guess:
Someone drew a black circle on an 8.5"x11" sheet of white paper, fed it through a small scanner, and rotated the resulting image to a landscape perspective.

Me in the Universe. I am a small, insignificant black dot in a vast amount of white other. I could also be a full stop. I am all I will ever truly know.

(So yes, I also see a small black dot)

You ascribe the negative space with personal identification and the positive space with universality. :)

Did you create this image?
I did not. I pulled the image off google images after searching "black dot". But the idea and experiment is my own idea. What interesting observations and deductions throughout an overall interesting thought process.

Guilty Johann, my psychiatrist describes me as "very negative" ! ☺
I didnt take your response as negative. To me you were being introspective and had the courage to think about how you exist in relation to others and the world. The process is positive.

Anytime a person is critical of something, they by definition seek to find its defects. Usually people will see this as negative. Critical thinking seeks to find what is wrong with something and by negative consequence what is right with it with the result of correction. Keep thinking critically :)

I see the tip of one of my cat's noses.

My black cat, female, who has a dainty black nose, with a circular tip.

Since everyone gave many great answers...I will state in one way how I see and think about the image. I tend to see all information as being both connected in one sense and disconnected in another. In the largest abstract sense, I see it as all being connected. So, when I think about something, like the picture above, I cross-reference it will all the knowledge I have accrued throughout my life and then this massive inductive/deductive process happens.

An easy way to think about it is to see all of reality in one large picture while simultaneously being able to zoom in microscopically to every detail of the picture at the same time.

So one thing I see in the image is...all of the physical universe. Visually, the physical universe can be represented with that dot. If you stand in front of an object of relative size and start to walk away from the object, the object visually converges until it turns into a small dot. This is called a vanishing point. Think sun setting over the horizon line.

Some black pixels in the middle of a white space grouped together to form a black dot. The image is static, but yes, could be a vanishing point, just like those old TV sets when you turn them off.

Since everyone gave many great answers...I will state in one way how I see and think about the image. I tend to see all information as being both connected in one sense and disconnected in another. In the largest abstract sense, I see it as all being connected. So, when I think about something, like the picture above, I cross-reference it will all the knowledge I have accrued throughout my life and then this massive inductive/deductive process happens.

An easy way to think about it is to see all of reality in one large picture while simultaneously being able to zoom in microscopically to every detail of the picture at the same time.

So one thing I see in the image is...all of the physical universe. Visually, the physical universe can be represented with that dot. If you stand in front of an object of relative size and start to walk away from the object, the object visually converges until it turns into a small dot. This is called a vanishing point. Think sun setting over the horizon line.

That's way beyond what I'd 'see' :D

I only saw the cat's nose as she was in my face at the time.

Take the cat away, I see a black dot :(

Some black pixels in the middle of a white space grouped together to form a black dot. The image is static, but yes, could be a vanishing point, just like those old TV sets when you turn them off.

True. Any pixel could also be an abstraction of a vanishing point.

That's way beyond what I'd 'see' :D

I only saw the cat's nose as she was in my face at the time.

Take the cat away, I see a black dot :(

I dont know. I think the intuition was there.

Last edited:
I see a black dot, and I don't like abstraction, symbolism, or interpretive analysis. :eek:
"I dont like abstraction" is also an abstraction since it is language...but

Fino..or alex..which do you prefer?... I completely understand :)

Johann. Going slightly off-topic but based on everyone's comments:

Why is black considered negative & white postive?
Black is dense, deeply opaque. More unchangeable.
White is more insubstantial, more ethereal & easily tainted.
Therefore, should our perceptions not be the other way around?
Which is warmer? Black or white?
Are our perceptions of these colours tainted by religious ideologies?

Thank you but just being honest.

Concrete vs. abstract thinking - Difference Between Concrete and Abstract Thinking | Difference Between

Thanks for the link. It was interesting and just provoked a brief chat with my husband.

We're in the UK. I'm autistic, he's NT.

I used Anthony Gormley's Iron Men on Crosby Beach instead of the Statue of Liberty and got very surprising results.

My husband, the NT - an empathetic, quite sensitive and emotional man said that the iron men were just iron men, a piece of metal.

My interpretation was very different - the iron men represent stability, calm, they're watchers, the take strength from the ebb and flow of the tide and they form a solidarity in their silent, strong stance. They provoke feeling in me that I cannot describe.

Interesting :)

New Threads

Top Bottom