• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you see...?

Johann. Going slightly off-topic but based on everyone's comments:

Why is black considered negative & white postive?
Black is dense, deeply opaque. More unchangeable.
White is more insubstantial, more ethereal & easily tainted.
Therefore, should our perceptions not be the other way around?
Which is warmer? Black or white?
Are our perceptions of these colours tainted by religious ideologies?

A lot of those questions exist because of the various connotations that those words connote. For example, negative can mean "the absence of". However, it can also mean undesirable. Black could mean the absence of light or it could be used as a socially outdated term for African-American people. These numerous connotations have to be explored in each context and then if harmonious, deductions can be made to some conclusion.

Interesting thoughts and questions

Thanks for the link. It was interesting and just provoked a brief chat with my husband.

We're in the UK. I'm autistic, he's NT.

I used Anthony Gormley's Iron Men on Crosby Beach instead of the Statue of Liberty and got very surprising results.

My husband, the NT - an empathetic, quite sensitive and emotional man said that the iron men were just iron men, a piece of metal.

My interpretation was very different - the iron men represent stability, calm, they're watchers, the take strength from the ebb and flow of the tide and they form a solidarity in their silent, strong stance. They provoke feeling in me that I cannot describe.

Interesting :)

Yes, it is. I may expand upon some ideas in cognition and the patterns of how people think and learn based upon certain factors in another thread.

A lot of those questions exist because of the various connotations that those words connote. For example, negative can mean "the absence of". However, it can also mean undesirable. Black could mean the absence of light

Hmm, that's quite deep. I seem to have a polarity opposite but I commented there from a painter's perspective. But I think I sort of stand by that anyway:-

To me, negative being "the absence of" would be cold white. Hospitals are white to give the impression of clean sterility/purity. A white canvas is an artists nightmare.

Black, I find a warm & an absolute base colour. An artist can blend into it with ease.

I think of Space for example & consider that it is loaded, not empty at all. I guess the human collective perception therefore is it is impure & tainted. But, if you consider how life came about here on Earth however (& no doubt other planets), then black should be positive & fertile.

I am interested in what you see or think about when you see the picture below:

black-dot-only-1024x683.jpg
Black .

Johann. Going slightly off-topic but based on everyone's comments:

Why is black considered negative & white postive?
Black is dense, deeply opaque. More unchangeable.
White is more insubstantial, more ethereal & easily tainted.
Therefore, should our perceptions not be the other way around?
Which is warmer? Black or white?
Are our perceptions of these colours tainted by religious ideologies?
no mention of black in Judaism or Christianity just darkness

Thanks Streetwise. I wasn't really interested in that aspect though. As I said afterwards, it was more from a painters perspective.

I just see a black dot. It doesn't make me think of anything besides a dot. I'm boring like that. But I guess it says something about my tendency to just see things as they are without trying to search for any hidden meaning or apply emotion to it or anything.

I see a smeared oval.

I'm a bit nearsighted. I should probably go get my glasses, but... stairs... lethargy...

Any additional meaning wont occur to me. I've been using computers too often for too long, and they dont deal in abstracts.

I see a primarily white image with a minimal dark spot in its midst.

Since the boundaries of the image are not demarcated, I cannot tell the shape of the image* nor the relative position of said spot (within the image).

To be fair (in terms of communication), the white would be the carrier and the black would be the intelligence. Those two functions could be reversed, too, but that is less common, these days.**

*Image info reveals that information, however.
**FYI, did you know that Batman: the Animated Series (1992-1995) used "light colors on black paper (as opposed to the industry standard of dark colors on white paper)" for its backgrounds?

Last edited:
no mention of black in Judaism or Christianity just darkness
I guess this falls under "religion" so I will say this and not say anymore.."black" appears in the bible with various connotations. If you use "Strong's Concordance" or another lexicon, you can see the various meanings from the original greek/hebrew etc. I am not sure about all of them.

I just see a black dot. It doesn't make me think of anything besides a dot. I'm boring like that. But I guess it says something about my tendency to just see things as they are without trying to search for any hidden meaning or apply emotion to it or anything.

That is interesting given your symbolic avatar and very emotional quote. I dont think you are boring.

I see a primarily white image with a minimal dark spot in its midst.

Since the boundaries of the image are not demarcated, I cannot tell the shape of the image* nor the relative position of said spot (within the image).

To be fair (in terms of communication), the white would be the carrier and the black would be the intelligence. Those two functions could be reversed, too, but that is less common, these days.**

*Image info reveals that information, however.
**FYI, did you know that Batman: the Animated Series (1992-1995) used "light colors on black paper (as opposed to the industry standard of dark colors on white paper)" for its backgrounds?

Interesting. Yeah, similar to the concept of black scratchboard...

2 more...

1. A diacritic above(overdot) or below(underdot) a letter
2. The time derivative in Newton's notation

everyone's replies were great

The normal part of me sees a dot that needs to be alone in space. (hermit dot .png).The neurotic part of me tells me l am missing the bigger picture and l can't see the obvious, and l will be tested on this.

Possibly there was a bunch of white dots that got together but they couldn't overcome the empty space hence black tiny space (black dot).

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom