• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you see...?

Johann

I am interested in what you see or think about when you see the picture below:

black-dot-only-1024x683.jpg

That was scary.

It's a black dot but it's small. I felt disoriented for a little while. My heart sunk! Shame on you! [just kidding]

That was scary.

It's a black dot but it's small. I felt disoriented for a little while. My heart sunk! Shame on you! [just kidding]

My apologies. I didnt mean to cause you any discomfort. So, you see a black dot. Great. I am interested in what everyone else sees and thinks.

I just see a rasterized somewhat imperfect filled-in circle that is not anti-aliased.

Have I passed this eye test? :p

Last edited:
I just see a rasterized somewhat imperfect filled-in circle that is not anti-aliased.

I see you think of it in terms of graphics and geometry. I agree the image is rasterized and not anti-aliased. Vectorization could rectify the issue.

Have I passed this eye test? :p
Your screen is broken :D

TBH i should prolly specify my screen has all sort of pixel dots over it, scratches etc. Its not very reliable in sighting clearly.

Last edited:
I am interested in what you see or think about when you see the picture below:

black-dot-only-1024x683.jpg

A. I see a black dot that moves location when I click near it or on it.
B. I think, "what is this guy trying to accomplish by posting this?"

It looks like a black dot, all the randomly sampled pixels appear to be 0,0,0 or 255,255,255 (apart from those greyed by the above mentioned rasterisation), it is a regular circular black shape on a white background (again rasterisation notwithstanding) and considering the file name is "black-dot-only-1024x683.jpg" one must conclude that it is, indeed, a black dot.
I don't have a deerstalker - will a bowler do?

A. I see a black dot that moves location when I click near it or on it.
B. I think, "what is this guy trying to accomplish by posting this?"

A. Interesting observation. When you click on the image I think it resizes to the original image size.
B. Just curious about what people see and think. I will input more thoughts after more people participate. :)

It looks like a black dot, all the randomly sampled pixels appear to be 0,0,0 or 255,255,255 (apart from those greyed by the above mentioned rasterisation), it is a regular circular black shape on a white background (again rasterisation notwithstanding) and considering the file name is "black-dot-only-1024x683.jpg" one must conclude that it is, indeed, a black dot.
I don't have a deerstalker - will a bowler do?

Nice. Thinking about matrix data structures.

Reminds me of a grade school exercise I once recall. Where the teacher was simply demonstrating that there are any numbers of types of observations, and what one person observes versus others. And that an observation can involve many senses and not necessarily only sight alone.

Though I wouldn't expect any comments that might parallel a Rorschach inkblot test. :p

Reminds me of a grade school exercise I once recall. Where the teacher was simply demonstrating that there are any numbers of types of observations, and what one person observes versus others. And that an observation can involve many senses and not necessarily only sight alone.

Though I wouldn't expect any comments that might parallel a Rorschach inkblot test. :p

Yes, that is one way to think about it.

Well.....

I asked because I wanted to know how different members who saw the image thought. I wanted to know what you see and what you thought. You can think of this as a creativity test.

I think when most people see the image they think of a black dot. This is a correct way to think about the image. It is a literal interpretation of the image.

However, you can diverge from the literal interpretation of the image and increase in abstraction. This will produce a diverse range of answers.

So, I was curious about how different members of the forum naturally thought about the dot.

When I look at the image I see many different things. Here is a clue..try thinking about the image in different contexts and across disciplines. In geometry, what could the image represent? What about in grammar? etc. etc.

Me in the Universe. I am a small, insignificant black hole in a vast amount of white other. I could also be a full stop. I am all I will ever truly know.

(So yes, I also see a small black dot)

New Threads

Top Bottom