• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you enjoy making?

@Misery
That picture was so beautiful number 2, my hair stood up on me.

So many talented and creative people here. I feel free finally.

Always glad when someone likes that one, it was bloody irritating to make and it took about 5 billion years to render. All those reflections.

I actually made a variation of it which I'd forgotten about until just now, and that is this:

Intricate.jpg

That was MUCH easier to do. Take that original image and smack it with a kaleidoscopic effect, BAM, done.

Also I sense that either you or the forum is having some technical difficulties here. I dunno about everyone else but I've actually found the forum itself acting up rather frequently in recent times.

I enjoy making duplicate posts too. And carbon dioxide.

...and lots of bad jokes. If you can't tell already. :cool:

I like collecting medicinal herbs and making special teas and salves out of them. It makes me very happy and fulfilled to be able to make people feel better with just a few roots or leaves, and the things I remember about them.

I like collecting edible plants too and finding creative uses for them. For instance: if you wrap tamales with maple leaves instead of corn husks, when they come out of the steamer, the masa will be infused with this indescribably delicious sweet and smoky flavoring.

I like knitting and crocheting. I like sewing. I really like embroidery! I like sketching. I used to be better at it, but I haven't drawn in over a decade.

I like baking challah and homemade soft Karaite Matza flatbread. I make bomb salads. I like baking. I like making smoothies.

Last edited:
Accounting ( which surprised me so much)
Organising things. Can think more clearly.
Spot the difference.
Find the word

For craft. Cross stitching.

In truth, have not tried many things, due to severe low self asteem and battling to know who I am sort of thing, so for years, was floundering and too scared to try out new things, in case I failed.

So many people here making all sorts of nice food, and here I am, unable to microwave hotdogs without them exploding.
Who of us has never had things go wrong in the kitchen? Usually I eat my mistakes, but there have been some so irretrievable that I've had to chuck them out. The messiest, though, are things like the time I forgot to tighten the blade cap on a glass blender bowl when I went to puree pumpkin for a pie. Turning it on and the massive mess as the pumpkin spewed out of the base of it with incredible violence is only funny in hindsight! I was finding pumpkin to clean up months afterwards.

too scared to try out new things, in case I failed.
I used to be oversensitive to the possibility of failure, and for me that included relationships and intimacy. But, at least with activities that I enjoy, and still do, I found that one tries, and sometimes fails, until one finally succeeds. You gotta put in the time for skill development.

The most difficulty was learning to take small (but public) failures with aplomb and I suffered many as I learned whitewater canoeing. One time I was side-surfing a hole (a violent hydraulic feature in a river) and could not extricate myself. So, I confidently twirled my paddle over my head before deliberately overturning (to get flushed out) and having a short swim as if I planned it.

[edit] PS. Do you think I didn't make mistakes with my wooden boats? People are usually dazzled enough that they don't notice. See that color change at the tips? I did that because I messed up the complex angles there and needed something that would look good.

Last edited:
Usually I eat my mistakes

Considering that my kitchen mistakes typically involve the words "all over X" where X could be basically anything, I tend to find that this is an approach I dont consider to be a very viable option.

The dogs, on the other hand...

Considering that my kitchen mistakes typically involve the words "all over X" where X could be basically anything, I tend to find that this is an approach I dont consider to be a very viable option.

The dogs, on the other hand...
HILARIOUS!
Well, I hope it is in retrospect. I can imagine the pandemonium. Worst for me (and walls, and refrigerator, counter and floor) was getting doused with warm pumpkin. The cat was smart enough to absent itself.

Last edited:
I like designing and making rock gardens.
Xeriscaping? Being in the wet side of the country, my rock garden is terraces of boulders with native plants for pollinators. I love having a brew on the porch watching the bees, bumblebees, butterflies, hummingbird moths, and other insects enjoying the garden. Sad to see things wind down for the year, but we have the wonderful blaze of color before the black and white winter descends.

I was exposed to engineering and manufacturing since I could first walk and during most of my illustrious career.
You can bet the farm I still make stuff.
Machinework, fabrication, restorations, you name it and I'm still quite actively involved in the entire process.

As simple as it looks, it took several hours to produce and fit and worked 100% when it was finished.
You can no longer buy one, so fate drove my hand.
20211007_115636.jpg

I know, the push bolt should have been a finer thread but none were available in the length needed but at least I center drilled it so it would hold a ball bearing against the center hole in the crankshaft and not bugger it up.
The bolt was tensioned with a wrench until it felt solid, then the bolt was tapped with a brass hammer.
The taper fit cut loose and the mission was accomplished with no damage.
To quote John 'Hannibal' Smith of the A Team, I love it when a plan comes together :p
(many of the youngsters here will have no idea what that is all about) ;)
20211007_115524.jpg

20211007_115642.jpg

It is a flywheel puller for a 1953 25 horsepower Evinrude Big Twin outboard motor I picked up last week.

The owner, a mechanic, said it had good compression on both cylinders but told me it didn't have spark on one cylinder and he didn't have a way to take it apart to see why, so I got the motor, the original fuel tank and 4 props for $75.

Since I live very near several waterways and the landscape is littered with boats in both perfect to deplorable condition, I've had my eye on the hull to mate it to for a couple of years now. It got shoved off the trailer it was on and is now laying in the weeds.
It might even be as freebee since it appears to be abandoned and old hulls are hard to get rid of. I sure hope so.
I was given a really nice trailer a couple of years ago, so that part of the equation is already here :p
The boat hull is probably from the late 50s since it has tail fins on it like most of the dinosaur cars from that era had on 'em.

Can you say drop top Christine for an ultimate fishin' machine? :whale:
furry.jpg

If I get it, count on it being painted period correct salmon too.

Being cool doesn't often come cheap, but I think I can arrive at a price I can live with and still be cool :cool:

The flywheel needed removed to inspect the points and it's not likely the pullers are available at this point in time, so I made one just to get it done.
Electrically, the coils appear to be ok, the contacts on the points appear to be very dirty and pitted and the condensers are possibly originals so since new ones are still available, they are ordered and on the way.
I also ordered a roll of copper ignition cable to replace the wires while it is opened up.
Don't want any ignition failures when the possibility exists that you will be run over by a river tow and coal barges :D

Last edited:
I love looking at all of these images and reading all the words. So many cool things exist now because you all wanted them to.

53852_d7dfc8090230749e0c95e9db4a39c22c.jpg

Army surplus store 20mm brass shell casing with a mocked up projectile made out of a section of one of these candlestick holders and a stainless steel bolt.
Why?
Because I could :p

6061-T6 aluminum step pulley for my 1938 Craftsman wood lathe restoration.

55364_28612da39cf3f7f0c4652c94cd1c53b5.jpg

55365_04e78ecf6ec5d65e7f4cf553566b256a.jpg

55379_4a83322ce3ac75999e6c76ce2a546e10.jpg

20190309_180012.jpg

I'd love to experience what others enjoy creating. Anything. Art, music, sandwiches, crafts, beautiful sentences, etc. Anything, it doesn't matter if it's "good", this is more about noticing and sharing some joy in life. What do you like to make?

Sorry if this has been done, I searched but possibly failed at looking well enough, it's been known to happen!

I'll start, I love painting galaxies! Below are my 2 new ones.View attachment 71150 View attachment 71149
Wow! your art is very beautiful.

I enjoy making music (either composing or practicing). My hand-writing is chicken-scratch so I don't think uploading a score would be...neat? I'm a bit of an amateur musician :/

New Threads

Top Bottom