• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you consider the last retro gaming generation?

What's the last retro generation?

• Total voters

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
I've been curious about this question for a while since I saw the subreddit for retro gaming which notably did not allow discussions about 6th gen games. I also saw an AVGN episode where he said that he doesn't consider anything past 4th gen to be retro though I forget which one.

I personally consider 6th gen to be retro due the fact that it's the last generation to be SD if you don't count portable systems.

What do you guys think?

For me, the N64 era, whatever number that was. Though usually when I think "retro" I think SNES and earlier.

For PC, DOS or Windows 3.1.

For handhelds, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Game Gear.

6th gen probably has the happiest memories for me. My first online gaming experience with Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast. Exploring a Japanese town on Shemue and continuing said story on the sequel.

Then there was the engrossing narrative and graphics of Final Fantasy X on PS2 and my first experience of the open world marvels that is Grand Theft Auto (3 & San Andreas).

Fable on the original Xbox and PSO ver. 2 and Smash Bros on Gamecube were also fond favourites.

There's a lot of nostalgia for me with this generation of consoles. It was also at a time when I had my first job and had money to buy each console of the 6th generation. This was also a few years before I started abusing substances and getting regular panic attacks - so I have fond memories of that era as they were the last care free years of my life.

Ed

6th gen probably has the happiest memories for me. My first online gaming experience with Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast. Exploring a Japanese town on Shemue and continuing said story on the sequel.

Then there was the engrossing narrative and graphics of Final Fantasy X on PS2 and my first experience of the open world marvels that is Grand Theft Auto (3 & San Andreas).

Fable on the original Xbox and PSO ver. 2 and Smash Bros on Gamecube were also fond favourites.

There's a lot of nostalgia for me with this generation of consoles. It was also at a time when I had my first job and had money to buy each console of the 6th generation. This was also a few years before I started abusing substances and getting regular panic attacks - so I have fond memories of that era as they were the last care free years of my life.

Ed
Yes, I love the sixth gen as well. The PS2 will always to me be the greatest video game console of all time.

I agree, PS2 was a truly incredible console. The 6th Gen was also my last gen I really loved because after that I started PC gaming and building my own PC's. Whilst I enjoyed several titles on the Xbox 360 and Wii - I never went back to playing consoles much after I started my venture into PC gaming.

Ed

I feel like it might depend on current console generation. For example, since the Xbox Series X, PS5, and Nintendo Switch are now all out, and they have replaced the Xbox One, PS4, and WiiU respectively, it could be said that the OG Xbox, the PS2, and GameCube could be considered retro by now. Basically 3 console generations before the current one.

Handhelds have a similar situation, with the Gameboy being retro, although not sure about the PSP because the only other handheld Sony made was the Vita, and MS haven't created any handheld systems yet.

Basically, I am saying that the current final retro gen is 5th, and the Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3 will become retro whenever a newer generation is out.

you can't put an explicit limit on something like "retro." Retro is about the past. Just like there will be a new present, there will always be a new past.

New Threads

Top Bottom