• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you collect?

?

• Toys

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • Books

Votes: 57 42.5%
  • Games

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Nature

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • other

Votes: 74 55.2%
  • Clothes

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters
I collect Star Wars Astromechs (R2-D2 and his family). I have most of the Lego Astromechs. I think mostly I enjoy the eBay hunt, while we have slow days at work.

I enjoy buying, trading and selling valuable things.

I have a basement full of stuff I need to finish listing on eBay.

In the past I have bought $8,000 a year of True Dungeon tokens (a random Gen Con convention collectible for an extremely popular live action puzzle game). I would trade and sell them until I was positive about $1,000 for the year and then I would stop for the year (lots of work I think is fun). I sold most of my collection when I started investing in Kickstarter Board games. I have about $5,000 worth of tokens. Three fancy ones are worth $1,000 to $1,250 each, and the rest are worth $50-$200 each. I may sell them, but I like having them for when I play at GenCon. The folks who play this game at the high end spend a lot of money on this stuff.

True Dungeon :: Real Props. Real Dungeon. Real Cool.

I recently ordered twenty of the new six-inch scale 40th anniversary Star Wars R2-D2's for ~$25 each after shipping . . . I may have overpaid for them from GameStop. The R2-D2 pre-orders have been selling out in a blink of an eye. The previous six-inch scale R2-D2 has been selling on eBay for $75-$125. I would think the pent up demand for him, as well as speculators buying him all up are reasons why he is sold out everyplace online. They should be on the shelves in the US around the 15th of April. The new movie being released today to consumers likely also means that these will start showing up in stores, perhaps before the 15th. I will buy all of these R2-D2's I see at the store, and hope for the best. One per case of 10-figures, also one Han Solo per case as well, but he is apparently not nearly as popular, and is not selling out in a blink of the eye. Wave 1 has the following episode IV figure in each case: R2D2 [x1], Han Solo [x1], Princess Leia [x2], Obi-Wan Kenobi [x2], and Luke Skywalker [x2]. The next wave will have different figures.

http://www.gamestop.com/collectible...ies-40th-anniversary-artoo-detoo-r2-d2/143220

Last edited:
Do you like to collect anything? I've always been obsessed with collecting things. When I was little little I had a collection of rocks and feathers I found out in the yard.

When I was a little older I went crazy collecting Pokémon cards, I still have them all (1996-2007) tens of thousands, I had to stop, there were just too many, we're getting more expensive and I wasn't having anyone to play with anymore.

I also avidly collected comic books, Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog and all their spin offs (Knuckles, Tails, Sonic X, etc), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Also I had a lot of random series plus several Batman and many things that just looked interesting. I try not to ever miss Free Comic book day (it's coming up!!). Recently I started collecting the My Little Pony books though I miss a lot since there are no nerd stores convenient too me. :( Though when I go I always get my kid a few of the 1$ bin Spidermans or something.

I also have a pretty big collection of Pokémon and My Little Pony toys (gen4 only. A few of the 1989 TMNT (I had them all at one time but when I was in school one day (5th grade) my stupid older half brother came to our house and took them all to buy drugs with (there is no forgiveness)).

I used to have all the Sonic the Hedgehog games for Genesis, Sega CD, 32x, Sega Saturn, Game Gear) but somebody got into my stuff and lifted them... >:

I also collected all the I Spy books, I really love these and managed to get a complete collection all from Goodwill (yay!). I'm now collecting the World of Warcraft Strategy Guides.

I've also been collecting board games, I get many from Goodwill also, just count the pieces and you're ready to go! I got a totally awesome Lord of the Rings Monopoly there for 2$!! It looked like it had only been opened and looked through, lol.

Does anybody else like to collect anything? =D

I bet you could sell the Pokemon cards for a pretty penny.

I have a bunch of action figures on the card from the 1990's. Most are not worth anything, I bet I will loose money on them, but I will put them on eBay, I just picked them up from my parents house. I have ~12 April O'Neils, ~20 captive Leia from RotJ, ~12 of a Deathstar escape set with Luke as a Stormtrooper, Han as a Stormtrooper, and Chewbacca in handcuffs, and a bunch of other stuff.

I have a box of Star Trek figures I need to look though as well.

I buy Board Games at good will. I like playing games. The Ravensburger games are a good target. Some are quite fun to play. They seem to sell well on eBay.

The best thing I ever saw at Goodwill was a Lego chess set. It was missing bits, and I did not buy it. I kick myself over it to this day. Each of the Lego figures sell for ~$10-$25 on eBay if I remember correctly. My "best" find was a Magic: The Gathering card I sold on eBay for $100.

Last edited:
Aside from video games of all sorts, I also collect twisty puzzles. Often just called "cubes" despite that a huge number of them are not cubic in shape.

It's easiest just to show them:

Cubeset1.jpg

Cubeset2.jpg

That's not the full collection, just the big sections that are easiest to photograph. There are others lying around elsewhere.

Many of these have been solved at least once, some many times. Certain specific ones have not been solved yet, either I havent gotten around to them, or there's the few that are definitely beyond my current level of skill. And one really specific one that'll likely never get scrambled, because it's likely to explode if I try it, so that one is mostly just for show.

You might notice that there are a few that appear damaged. For the most part all of these are in excellent condition, but an annoying fact about these is that every now and then, you get one that just isnt well made, and that promptly explodes when used. Or something along that lines. It's always very disappointing when that happens.

A bit more information that I wrote up on certain specific ones, kinda showing some of what these can be like, are at these links:

Some cubes of mine

More cubes and things

This is one of those sorts of things that I never could have imagined, years ago. I used to think a normal Rubik's Cube was basically impossible. Now... it's really easy.

My method is different from the "speed solve" sort though. I cant memorize algorithms whatsoever, so I have to use a logic-based approach. I learned what is called "The Ultimate Method" for solving a 3x3 (and good luck understanding a write-up of THAT) and then started applying and advancing that to other, higher complexity puzzles.

Not that all of these are difficult though. There are certain ones that are REALLY easy, and some that look really stupidly hard, but in actuality arent really all that tough. These things can be deceptive.

The one problem with this hobby: It's very expensive. These things are NOT cheap. A basic cube can be kinda cheap, around like $12 or so, but... the higher the complexity (not just size) the more they cost. And hand-made ones cost even more. The most expensive of all of the ones I own cost about $150, it's a handmade one that is one of a kind. 3D-printed ones cost even more than that (I dont have any though). Usually though, the prices I pay for new puzzles individually are anywhere from 20-70. I tend to buy these things in big clumps.

Attachments

• Teraminx.jpg
    Teraminx.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Teraminx2.jpg
    Teraminx2.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 201
Aside from video games of all sorts, I also collect twisty puzzles. Often just called "cubes" despite that a huge number of them are not cubic in shape.

View attachment 32905
View attachment 32906

That's not the full collection, just the big sections that are easiest to photograph. There are others lying around elsewhere.

Many of these have been solved at least once, some many times. Certain specific ones have not been solved yet, either I havent gotten around to them, or there's the few that are definitely beyond my current level of skill. And one really specific one that'll likely never get scrambled, because it's likely to explode if I try it, so that one is mostly just for show.

A bit more information that I wrote up on certain specific ones, kinda showing some of what these can be like, are at these links:

Some cubes of mine

More cubes and things

This is one of those sorts of things that I never could have imagined, years ago. I used to think a normal Rubik's Cube was basically impossible. Now... it's really easy.

My method is different from the "speed solve" sort though. I cant memorize algorithms whatsoever, so I have to use a logic-based approach. I learned what is called "The Ultimate Method" for solving a 3x3 (and good luck understanding a write-up of THAT) and then started applying and advancing that to other, higher complexity puzzles.

Not that all of these are difficult though. There are certain ones that are REALLY easy, and some that look really stupidly hard, but in actuality arent really all that tough. These things can be deceptive.
I have a few of these but I regularly break them as I use them as fiddle toys.

@Misery , that is a cool collection. I only have the 3x3 cube and the Pyraminx. I can't do the cube without the book, but I stumbled on the solution for the latter and have never forgotten it.

If you can find them, you might like

I collect electric guitars - and also other musical instruments... and try to learn to play them all.

Here's a list of different instruments I've collected (even variations)

-Electric guitars - lots of them because I'm totally obsessed with them.
-Acoustic guitar
-Bass guitar
-Piano
-Synthesizer
-Mandolin
-Ukulele
-Recorder (tenor, alto, soprano, sopranino)
-Saxophone (currently just alto)
-Oboe
-Tambourine.. yes, it counts!

Currently on my radar - trumpet, clarinet, trombone, and flugelhorn :p

@Axeman52 , have you ever tried a melodica or a cabasa? (Those are two that I dabble in.) I'd like to try a theremin sometime, but my wife is creeped out by how eerie they sound.

@Axeman52 , have you ever tried a melodica or a cabasa? (Those are two that I dabble in.) I'd like to try a theremin sometime, but my wife is creeped out by how eerie they sound.
The melodica has been something I've overlooked but it's interesting, probably the sort of thing I'd buy if I saw one and had some spare cash lying around. I have played a cabasa before too, along with a lot of other percussion things I've forgotten about. Truth is, even though the electric guitar is my primary instrument that I've put the most time, effort and money into, I seem to make more money playing other instruments that I really just dabble with. I guess that's just because there's too much competition from too many other guitarists because that's the instrument that everyone seems to think is the "coolest" and tends to be the thing that most people who want to learn an instrument are drawn to.

Oh yes, the Theremin, that's another one I'd love to have a go at learning to play properly, I went to a Theremin workshop last year and afterwards they let people try to play them, I could only make a wobbly noise with it but then again, I only really had about a minute to play around with it - they can sound beautifully chilling when played by someone who knows what they are doing, as demonstrated by the woman who was running the workshop, she was descended from Leon Theremin, who developed the instrument in the early 1900s. Moog make some relatively inexpensive theremins these days, such as the Theremini, which has some built in features that could potentially be useful for learning like a setting that makes the pitch go up and down in chromatic steps rather than completely fluently, so you can kind of get a "feel" for where certain notes are without having the pitch erratically wobbling around all over the place.

Books, home decor, unique vases, hurricane lamps, perfumes, gemstone bracelets (like the stretch kind, aka "yoga" bracelet), earrings, and purses. I think I am done collecting for now, though. My obsessiveness will have to take on a different kind of project. I don't think people would think there was anything out of the ordinary in hearing that....but when people see the way these things are organized/arranged...well....then they might think it's a bit unusual, ha! What is most unusual is the obsessive reasons I obtain each item. Sometimes it has to do with numbers, the designer/author, I don't know, various things to make it feel "complete" or rounded. I also obsessively prune/edit the collections. Right now they feel just right, and I really can't let myself keep buying stuff, as it isn't cheap!

View attachment 32905
View attachment 32906

You might notice that there are a few that appear damaged. For the most part all of these are in excellent condition, but an annoying fact about these is that every now and then, you get one that just isnt well made, and that promptly explodes when used. Or something along that lines. It's always very disappointing when that happens.

Some cubes of mine

More cubes and things

The one problem with this hobby: It's very expensive. These things are NOT cheap. A basic cube can be kinda cheap, around like $12 or so, but... the higher the complexity (not just size) the more they cost. And hand-made ones cost even more. The most expensive of all of the ones I own cost about $150, it's a handmade one that is one of a kind. 3D-printed ones cost even more than that (I dont have any though). Usually though, the prices I pay for new puzzles individually are anywhere from 20-70. I tend to buy these things in big clumps.
Beautiful pictures!

I got a pile of new puzzles today. Now, I know I already showed off the "twisty" puzzles, but as these others are a totally different sort, I figured I'd make another post for the heck of it.

These cube things are just named "Inside 3". I have no idea where the "3" comes from. The idea is simple. The ball starts in those opened areas you can see, on the first "floor" of the cube. There is another open area at the back of the cube, and that is where you need to get the ball to. The top 3 cubes have 5 floors, and the others all have 7. So on each floor, you must navigate the maze, and drop the ball in a hole to reach a different floor. The big mean part of it is that you cant see ANY of this. Whole cube is solid on the outside. So you navigate by the sound of the ball hitting walls, and the feel of the thing, following the maps engraved on the front.

IMG_0718.JPG

Now, a closeup of the two easiest. The map of each floor shows all of the walls, and where the holes are. The very first cube is nice and simple: no tricks, just move through the basic path and keep going down each hole to reach the end. The green one starts to show where it gets loopy. Notice on that one that there are multiple holes on some floors, and some sections... with more holes... that are totally enclosed on certain floors. The second floor there, for instance, has a small blocked off area on the left with two holes in it. This is because you have to drop down to the third floor, to the section that appears to have no holes, and then turn the thing over, go into that enclosed section, turn it over AGAIN, and then go down again and you can continue. There's one point during this one where you're going backwards and the ball actually slides down two floors at once. So not only are you rolling around this invisible maze, but you have to sometimes flip the thing over in order to continue; this is why they have additional maps on the back.

IMG_0720.JPG

Now a closeup of the two hardest. Good luck even figuring out what you're looking at. MANY holes on each floor, some of the holes leading to dead ends so you have to flip the puzzle, bypass the dead-end hole, then flip it again and go in the CORRECT hole to continue. The puzzle on the right is even more ridiculous. Not only are you dealing with all of that stuff, but there's actually a second ball in a sealed-off section. All it does is roll around and make extra noises.

IMG_0722.JPG

Now, there are actually twelve of these things, not 9. I bought these in a set, and I think I know why the set doesnt contain the last three. With the puzzles I've already shown, if you feel you've gotten lost, all you need to do is pop the back of the thing off, place the ball back into it's starting position on the first floor, and then put all the floors back in, properly aligned, and then close the thing. Nice and easy. But the final 3 puzzles, the ones I dont have, cannot be opened. Ever. The back is fused; the only way to "open" them would be to smash them. The first of these three is much like that big red one, except with the fused back. The second of the three is like that... but with no maps. The third, which they named "Cthulhu", has no maps, and the fused back, AND an extra captive ball to make noise. How in the heck anyone is supposed to solve that, I dont even know. So those last three are *extremely* hard, even compared to the others (which are already very, very difficult), and thusly are only sold seperately, as they're for those looking for the most absurd challenge, and thusly wouldnt sell as many units.

So far, I've completed that first small blue one at the top, and got lost on the green small one next to it. So.... long way to go.

Next up is this thing. It's called a "Perplexus". It's another marble maze, except that A: you can actually see what you're doing, and B: it's a hideous tangled mess. There arent any dead ends here. It's a perfectly linear path, you cannot get lost. It's all about dexterity though. The path is very long, containing 70 numbered sections, and each section presents it's own problems. There are bits that are like staircases, bits with no walls, all sorts of tricky ideas. If the ball falls, you have to start all over again. I can get about halfway through the thing as of right now. Needless to say, it's pretty difficult, though the difficulty is of a very different variety than the cubes above. There are multiple Perplexus models, but this is the only one I have so far. I intend on ordering the others later.

IMG_0725.JPG

Lastly, wire & wood puzzles. The idea here is very simple: Take them apart, and then put them back together. They're bloody difficult though. I've solved a couple of them, but most I havent solved yet. There isnt really much to describe here due to the simplicity of the idea. But actually solving one is definitely NOT simple.

IMG_0726.JPG

i collect books from the 1960s-40s love the size shape dust jackets and seeing the old pounds shillings and pence- cant stand metric
in my part of England a business owner disliked it so much he campaigned to be allowed to trade in pounds and ounces he was called the metric martyr HES dead now

I collect electric guitars - and also other musical instruments... and try to learn to play them all.

Here's a list of different instruments I've collected (even variations)

-Electric guitars - lots of them because I'm totally obsessed with them.
-Acoustic guitar
-Bass guitar
-Piano
-Synthesizer
-Mandolin
-Ukulele
-Recorder (tenor, alto, soprano, sopranino)
-Saxophone (currently just alto)
-Oboe
-Tambourine.. yes, it counts!

Currently on my radar - trumpet, clarinet, trombone, and flugelhorn :p
would you have been interested in a bass [F or C or both] recorder?

would you have been interested in a bass [F or C or both] recorder?
I did see one for sale a few years ago but I think it was a bit too expensive for something that I probably wouldn't use very much. All the other recorders are just stuff that I acquired when I was in a school that did recorder lessons. I still have them because I don't get rid of things like that - who knows when they might be useful? :)

Plants and thimbles. As a kid it was star wars figures.also used to go to a part of the river thames that was a Victorian dump to get clay tobbaco pipes and figurines

Books mainly classics, stones and fossils.
My fad has collected fossils since his childhood. Quite the collection i hope to inherit.
I collect books: love antique books of classics, poetry, obscure, and early editions.
I collect shells on the beach ... leaves i find interesting .. feathers ... stones that are smooth or feel nice ... gemstones ... got a large cd collection too.

I collect books: love antique books of classics, poetry, obscure, and early editions.
I collect shells on the beach ... leaves i find interesting .. feathers ... stones that are smooth or feel nice
Interesting that we like similar things, stones, shells, leaves and fossils. I've been digging things up since I was child, fossils fascinate me. Have my favourite books of poetry, and many of the classics. Rilke is a favourite, as is TS Eliot among many others.

New Threads

Top Bottom