• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your opinions on alcohol? (Questions)

Steve A

Even though this may be a controversial subject, I posted a thread about my college experiences on drinking and meeting/making new friends, and I remember people telling me that even though they didn't get involved with drinking during college or once they turned 21, they found other forms of entertainment or had different interests than drinking socially with friends.

However, since I don't judge people's interests along with what they like to do in their free time, I have some questions about drinking socially and why you may or may not participate in it, due to several factors and personal beliefs...

1) Do you drink socially with your friends? Do you have any friends/family members who drink socially?
2) What things have you heard about drinking (along with certain factors like medication) that made you not want to try alcohol?
3) Would you ever want to try alcohol once you turn 21 or if you're 21+ and haven't tried alcohol yet or took a break from it?

On an extra note, I hope my thread topic doesn't offend anyone, even though I'm curious about the effects of drinking on the spectrum...

1. I have never had alcohol
2. I dont drink because my parents were both horrible alcoholics and Ive seen what it can do and I want no part in it.
3. I will never drink because of the above reason.

I don't drink, there's nothing I heard about that made me decide to not try alcohol, I just have no interest in drinking, and I have no plans to ever start drinking alcohol.

My opinion on alcohol is that it was extremely detrimental to me and I have had enough for a lifetime, so there will be no more.

Never had it. Can't ever get past the smell of decay. Also, any substance that interferes with my control, (yes, I'm a control freak), in any way is a hardcore no go. I would rather deal with major physical pain (valve replacement surgery) than have muddled function. Without that function locked in place I freak out.

Pretty much a mix of the reasons @Princess Viola and @Darkkin gave. I simply never saw the point. I also have an addictive personality, and control over my own thoughts and actions is very important to me so it was never particularly appealing.

I've never gotten drunk, but I have tried alcohol. Serbian Rakija tasted too good, so I've staid away from the harder liquors, sparkling wine is alright, but cider tastes much better so I don't really see the point, and beer tasted absolutely abhorrent. I had one or two sips and couldn't drink any more, even though I was served a whole cup when visiting a friend's family.

Last edited:
I can’t drink because of my meds, and I don’t like party culture or behaving irresponsibly.

I have never liked getting drunk and never want to be drunk again in my entire life.

There are some mild cocktails that I like the taste of, but the same thing can be achieved by mixing fruit juices and soda so it’s mostly unnecessary.

The only reason I ever drink is that people my age give me a hard time if I don’t, so I guess it’s a form of masking. Outside of social situations I don’t think I ever would.

I started drinking ocasionaly because of work. It was not ok to ask for my peach juice when my clients were drinking beer... but I have never got drunk.

Alcohol hurt my stomach badly.

When I was younger I did not wanted to lose control of myself so never did.

I don't like it. It was never my "thing". That being said, when I was young I did drink socially (e.g. parties, bars, etc) and would sometimes binge drink. Cannabis on the other hand....

As far as drugs go in my opinion alcohol has a very low ROI (return on investment). It's sloppy. It's aptly called getting "hammered" when you drink too much of it for a reason. On top of that it's toxic. It's poison.

I can't remember the last time I had a drink. Probably close to a year ago. A few times per year I sip (actually more "nose" than sip) a dram of single malt from a small collection of it I have and that's about it.

I miss it, but I was an alcoholic.
Over 3.5 years sober now.

Addiction rates are higher with those on the spectrum. As with NT's, alcohol helps reduce social anxiety, and we can offer suffer more than others in that regard. Which is where problematic drinking can arise.

Me personally, I drank alone. But every night getting hammered. Or, when I was working an evening shift, getting hammered in the morning.

Ed

1) Do you drink socially with your friends? Do you have any friends/family members who drink socially?
2) What things have you heard about drinking (along with certain factors like medication) that made you not want to try alcohol?
3) Would you ever want to try alcohol once you turn 21 or if you're 21+ and haven't tried alcohol yet or took a break from it?
1) Yes to both. A beer or a glass of wine, maybe a mixed drink. Nothing more if I plan on driving.
2) Absolutely nothing.
3) I did not like the taste of alcohol. I knew other kids drank it. My first experience with booze was freshman year in college. Lime flavored vodka. It was not fun because I had not yet learned moderation. Over many years I developed a taste for certain wines, certain beers, and some mixed drinks. Sipping whisky is sometimes nice.

My limit is two or three drinks, depending on how much I have eaten. (One, if I'm driving.) Beyond that, my behavior becomes very loose. I won't drive, but that doesn't mean I'm not bouncing off the walls. I'll get nauseous and have a hangover. So, I don't go there. A person's gotta know their limitations and heed them.

Social drinking is not regular for me, probably because me and social don't mix. Wife and I have a glass of wine with dinner. My wife took a class in wine appreciation a decade ago, and we've been into wine ever since.

I liked cocktails with a good meal and did some social drinking when I was in my twenties. I liked wine also.
But I haven't had any alcohol since age 30.
Medications don't mix well. No problem stopping. I know I'll never have another drink again.

1. Yes, I drink. A glass of wine with my evening meal. I'm cutting down, so the glasses are getting smaller and smaller. Most of my family members drink, too.

2. That even just one glass of wine a day can give you liver disease or cancer. Makes me think that I should not drink at all. I don't like being drunk and don't go over this limit.

3. I've take breaks from it intermittently for one reason or another, but then started again. I think it's a routine/comfort thing, after work. If I give it up for a while or permanently, I need to find something to replace it with. Cocoa is good.

1) I don`t really have friends, but not because I cannot get any. I just don`t need them. My wife and kids are enough. So I do not drink with friends. I do however drink at birthdays whenever my wife is driving. Especially at her parents house's birthdays. It is very loud and chaotic, my wife knows I struggle with that so she almost always offers to drive. But I do not get drunk. With the exception of my younger years (below 23 years old) I never drink more than 4 beers at most. But 80% of the time it is only 2 glasses of beer or wiskey.

2) I did try alcohol. I my country it used to be allowed at the age of 16. But they have raised it to 18 now. And I would even like them to raise it to 21. Looking back at my own younger self who had little control.

3) I did take a small break from it. When I was around 21 I got a skin condition that was heavily triggered by alcohol. So I stopped drinking completely. When I was around 24 or 25 the skin condition had gotten very mild, and eventually dissapeared. I started drinking again but much less then I used to. My father in law was an alcoholic for most of his life so my wife had a bad relationship with alcohol (thou she did drink herself occasionally). Because of this I never drank more than ones a week. These days it is about twice a week (1 or 2 glasses per time). One evening on the weekend and one after a 13 hour shift at work which helps me to relax and get to sleep. My wife no longer struggles with me drinking a little more often than ones a week since she knows I know when to stop. And I never overdrink.
We also never drink together because we feel there must always be someone who can has a clear mind in case of something happening with the kids. I would also never even drink 1 ml of alcohol when I know I have to drive the same day.

Alcohol of itself does not need to be a problem. But it is all about control. And as others have stated we are more likely to start abusing it. Therefor I will never buy any more than I am going to drink for that evening. So there is no possibility of my losing control.

I don't drink, I used to like most others but it makes me so sick. First I get depressed while I'm drinking and then I get the worst hangovers. And the drinking culture here tends to lean towards drinking as much as you can. If you go out on the town on a friday night you will most likely get seriously drunk.

I have said before that if we had never heard of alcohol and someone invented it tomorrow, it would be used for cleaning and fuel. No one would have thought about drinking it.

My opinion on alcohol is that it was extremely detrimental to me and I have had enough for a lifetime, so there will be no more.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. Up until recently, I've had occasional alcohol (1 or 2 beers on the odd weekend), but even that is always a better idea than a reality. It's nice at first, but I'm a lightweight, so I always feel lazy and sluggish for a few hours, even with just 2 beers. It's kind of a waste of an afternoon. I thought recently I'd stop because it just isn't satisfying. Plus, it will make my throat a little sore, which isn't good.

Very interesting to me how many non-drinkers or former drinkers there are responding here. I admit surprise and also a great deal of comfort. No judgements on those who choose to drink, but I’m heartened to be among so many people that do not value alcohol.

Alcohol was of great importance as a mean to purify water. It was one of the very few ways to drink water safely without boiling it. Thats how it became so linked to almost every human culture.

Alcohol was of great importance as a mean to purify water. It was one of the very few ways to drink water safely without boiling it. Thats how it became so linked to almost every human culture.

I've seen that part of the appeal of coffee and tea was that they involved boiling water, making them safer than water with alcohol.

New Threads

Top Bottom