• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your obsessions?

darkaris7

Im surprised i didnt find a thread about what everyones obsessions are, since thats the one characteristic that defines people on the spectrum. so thought i would start one :D

For me, I have an unhealthy obsession about books and japanase manga. I have a huge library of books ranging all the way from The Godfather to Clarke's masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey. There are a ton of others i have collected but havent gotten around to reading them yet, for some reason just owning them feels like ive completed my goal. As for manga, i mainly read them online (cause they are sooo expensive where i live) and have a digital library of over 300 titles.

So what keeps your mind occupied?

My obsession is my book collection also, nowadays I keep them all as electronic formats on a private server so I can access them wherever I am. Just over 36,000 covering ancient history, psychology, science, medicine, astronomy, and the occult. I love the very old stuff, talking about things like magnetism as being 'magic'. My usual day to day Kindle holds a big library of sci-fi/fantasy that passes the time when I'm out and about.

My obsession is my book collection also, nowadays I keep them all as electronic formats on a private server so I can access them wherever I am. Just over 36,000 covering ancient history, psychology, science, medicine, astronomy, and the occult. I love the very old stuff, talking about things like magnetism as being 'magic'. My usual day to day Kindle holds a big library of sci-fi/fantasy that passes the time when I'm out and about.
i love reading old books whose authors have since passed, i feel like i get a glimpse of their mind from their writing.

My obsession are manga comics. I read them every day and am learning to draw them in my spare time. I love drawing and am always thinking of my own comics to draw.

My youngest daughter is an anime fan, now she's older she creates her own.
maybe u confuse anime with manga? its kinda hard to imagine someone creating an entire anime on their own :p
manga are the comics, animes are the animated films usually broadcasted on tv

No, she works for a anime producer in NZ. But she loved manga too, haven't seen her for years but last I heard those were still her loves.

For me it's 70's and 80's culture that I'm hooked into and I have a pretty successful youtube dedicated to the subject. Of course it's the era that I grew up in and I have read extensively about it. Back then before the technological revolution, 'surfing the web' meant you were a spider dude!

Books about books and reading. It's just so nice to watch other people geek out on books and ramble about how much they love reading.

My obsessions are Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Death Note. I'm also to a lesser extent obsessed with anime in general, and retro video games.

I have various obsessions: Currently, for the last few years, it is The Roman Empire - I read many books on this topic and learn so much. I just ordered a book about the life of the Roman Senator, Cicero, who was known as a great orator, lawyer, writer and philosopher; His works supposedly influenced the leaders of the American Revolution such as Thomas Jefferson.

My other obsession is 1980's music: I was only a young boy during that period and I remember all of the music. I have downloaded a great amount of it and listen to it daily. I even listen to examples of this music that I detested in the 80's but enjoy now for some reason. I believe this has something to do with me reminiscing about my youth on a subconscious level, a time of innocence before I became jaded to life. It brings me back to a simpler time and makes me happy.

I have various obsessions: Currently, for the last few years, it is The Roman Empire - I read many books on this topic and learn so much. I just ordered a book about the life of the Roman Senator, Cicero, who was known as a great orator, lawyer, writer and philosopher; His works supposedly influenced the leaders of the American Revolution such as Thomas Jefferson.

My other obsession is 1980's music: I was only a young boy during that period and I remember all of the music. I have downloaded a great amount of it and listen to it daily. I even listen to examples of this music that I detested in the 80's but enjoy now for some reason. I believe this has something to do with me reminiscing about my youth on a subconscious level, a time of innocence before I became jaded to life. It brings me back to a simpler time and makes me happy.

I also have the 80's music obsession and laughed when I saw that you listen to stuff you didn't like in the 80's. I do the same and probably for the same reasons.

My major one at the moment is prog rock music. I have nearly 12,000 albums in various formats, and have spent a lot of money on audio equipment. In the past I've had obsessions around countries and languages, but not at the moment. I love sci fi too and have a large sci fi book collection. My husband collects books too, non-fiction on just about every topic imaginable. There are a LOT of CDs and books in my house.

For me it's 70's and 80's culture that I'm hooked into and I have a pretty successful youtube dedicated to the subject. Of course it's the era that I grew up in and I have read extensively about it. Back then before the technological revolution, 'surfing the web' meant you were a spider dude!

I grew up in the 70s and 80s too, and I had a Rubick's Cube obsession at one point. I listen to some 80s music too, such as The Police, Talking Heads, Talk Talk, Marillion, Simple Minds, that sort of thing. I'm embarrassed to admit that I also listened to Duran Duran (not the 'done thing' for a prog rock fan) :blush:

I grew up in the 70s and 80s too, and I had a Rubick's Cube obsession at one point. I listen to some 80s music too, such as The Police, Talking Heads, Talk Talk, Marillion, Simple Minds, that sort of thing. I'm embarrassed to admit that I also listened to Duran Duran (not the 'done thing' for a prog rock fan) :blush:

Apparently David Byrne out of Talking heads has Aspergers and if you listen to some of his stuff you can kind of see it. The lyrics to Psycho killer in particular.

Apparently David Byrne out of Talking heads has Aspergers and if you listen to some of his stuff you can kind of see it. The lyrics to Psycho killer in particular.
Yes, I've heard it said that he has it, but I don't know if he has an official diagnosis. Gary Numan has it, and is very open about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom