• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your interests or obsessions?

Void of Infinity

So, I have always been a big bookworm and I always love to get new ones to read. Back in the day I read more Fiction than anything else, and since midway through 2013 I turned around and starting reading Nonfiction.

In Fiction, I have read the Harry Potter series, the Left Behind series, and The Inheritance Cycle.

In Nonfiction, I have been reading mostly History and Political Science books, and through it all I have learned a great deal. Most of the books are either about George Washington and our Founding Fathers, or the Revolution in general; one is a biography of Ulysses S. Grant; one is about Dwight D. Eisenhower's years as President; and others have been about other topics in modern America.

Other books include the topic of writing and I have a few classics as well. Among the classics is a small compilation of Plato's work (going to buy his complete philosophical work eventually), a compilation from ancient Chinese authors (never actually finished it all, need to though), all three parts of Dante's Divine Comedy, a small compilation that includes The Prince by Machiavelli and Frederick the Great's instructions to his generals (never read it, need to), and, recently, a compilation of works from our Founding Fathers which led to my first reading of The Federalist Papers and other documents I never knew about.

I have a huge selection of books I still want, all of which are compiled on my Amazon wish list, and I want to collect even more classics as well. Among the classics I still want are a small number of Greco-Roman philosophical works and H.P Lovecraft's complete works (a recent decision).

As the name of this section is Obsessions and Interests, what are yours? What is that special interest you are always pursuing, or that obsession you cannot live without?

I cannot remember when I first started reading books, but I always hunger for more of them. The only books I cannot read are those in First Person, as I have never been able to get into them; I prefer to see everything from a Third Person perspective rather than being inside of an imaginary character.

I did see the thread about cataloging books as well as others, but this is more of a general thread rather than of anything specific.

When I was a child, I was obsessed with the 'Goosebumps' books. I would get a new one from town and then sit at home and read it all in one go. I love Harry Potter! I've reread the books many times and I saw the first film...14 times when it came out in the cinema...

I plan on buying some books about plane crashes soon (most are not particularly cheap as only hardback and there's not that much demand for them) as that is one of my big special interests.

So, I have always been a big bookworm and I always love to get new ones to read. Back in the day I read more Fiction than anything else, and since midway through 2013 I turned around and starting reading Nonfiction.

In Fiction, I have read the Harry Potter series, the Left Behind series, and The Inheritance Cycle.

In Nonfiction, I have been reading mostly History and Political Science books, and through it all I have learned a great deal. Most of the books are either about George Washington and our Founding Fathers, or the Revolution in general; one is a biography of Ulysses S. Grant; one is about Dwight D. Eisenhower's years as President; and others have been about other topics in modern America.

Other books include the topic of writing and I have a few classics as well. Among the classics is a small compilation of Plato's work (going to buy his complete philosophical work eventually), a compilation from ancient Chinese authors (never actually finished it all, need to though), all three parts of Dante's Divine Comedy, a small compilation that includes The Prince by Machiavelli and Frederick the Great's instructions to his generals (never read it, need to), and, recently, a compilation of works from our Founding Fathers which led to my first reading of The Federalist Papers and other documents I never knew about.

I have a huge selection of books I still want, all of which are compiled on my Amazon wish list, and I want to collect even more classics as well. Among the classics I still want are a small number of Greco-Roman philosophical works and H.P Lovecraft's complete works (a recent decision).

As the name of this section is Obsessions and Interests, what are yours? What is that special interest you are always pursuing, or that obsession you cannot live without?

I cannot remember when I first started reading books, but I always hunger for more of them. The only books I cannot read are those in First Person, as I have never been able to get into them; I prefer to see everything from a Third Person perspective rather than being inside of an imaginary character.

I did see the thread about cataloging books as well as others, but this is more of a general thread rather than of anything specific.
For some unfathomable reason ribbon and making boxes for gift I would love to know why

Crime fiction ,biographies about animals,biographies about fighters of terminal illness.

My obsessions include Xbox One gaming, Pub quizzes, Taekwondo, and my Mobile.

I'm also on a mission to get a job at the moment, and in a few hours I might well achieve that as I have an interview (see my thread in the education and employment section from last week).

I'm obsessed with reading it use to be Babysitters Club books but at the moment it's Cathy Cassidy books. My faverite series include Chocolate Box Girls, Babysitters Club, The Wardstone Chronicals, Harry Potter, Twilight and Skullduggery Pleasent.

Most my non fiction books are about dolls or toys.

so read about 3 or 4 books a week.

Star Wars and a Swedish metal band called "Amon Amarth" have been my two obsessions for a very long time.

I get flak for only listening to one band for more than 10 years quite a bit, but I don't care, I know what I like and I stick to it.

Star Wars has been in my life since I was four years old, people say I've taken it to an extreme though, I've read almost every single book ever written in the Star Wars universe and I am a die hard Dark Side guy, I've got more action figures and statues of Darth Vader than I'd like to admit, although I prefer the Ancient Sith Empire over the Galactic Empire personally.

I better stop now before I write a book.

The Force is strong in this one!

I have had many obsessions in my life, but the two that stand out are family and machines.

While my wife and I have been together for a very long time, the rest of our family has been more of a gradual process. A process that never stops. We now have five children, twelve grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Plus two son-in-laws and three daughter-in-laws. That makes for a great big wonderful family, who we enjoy very much.

Machines, my other main obsession, is more of a life long thing. As a kid I used to take a lot of things apart, just to see what was inside and figure out how it works. I just love machines, the bigger and more complex, the better. I can really entertain myself working on something new.

Studying!!!! I'm 15 and all I do is studying. I'm perfectly social and all. Plenty of friends and a girlfriend but I mean idc about them as much as I do knowledge. Honestly I'm a bet of a metaphysical naturalist and I don't really care about anything, but knowledge gives my life meaning.

Music is a big one for me. I also love working out. Strength training, cardio, and calisthenics are my favorite types of exercise.

Right now I'd say Pokemon is my main obsession. I was starting to launch into a monologue about it but I'll spare the details. To make a long story short, I watch Pokemon "Top Ten" lists on Youtube every night, I've played all the Gens (so far) and Gen 6 is my fave, and my signature contains info about my Delphox in Pokemon X.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-10_16-13-34.png
    upload_2017-9-10_16-13-34.png
    701.8 KB · Views: 0
Cetaceans (dolphins and whales), corvids (crows, ravens), art, animated film, cars, stuffed animals and toys. My most recent interest is Steven Universe - I haven't seen any full episodes yet, but I find the premise fascinating and absorbing, and I love all the characters so far. :blush:

I have the App Goodreads. I love reading, but I have very few physical books because I've had to move too much. But, in Goodreads I can have my own library, have the list of all the books that I've read and rate them or write reviews. There's a "Year challenge" where you write your own reading challenge that year, etc. You can also vote for your favorite books, or get news about the genres or authors that interest you.
Everytime someone recommends me a book, or I want to write down a title to read later, I add it to my "to read" shelf.

I also have a Kindle and I have there the books that I actually own. I like the dictionary feature, and that I can read more than one book at a time, and they are all there. Also, I can buy digitally almost any book there at any time.
Goodreads

My main obsession is simply trying to always better myself. I love learning, but experiencing what I learn.
I dont care to just be book smart. It has to have a purpose.

My love is fast cars, and I know thats weird, and no I don't drive crazy out on the streets or in traffic. I am a very cautious driver, but get me on a drag strip, an old air strip, or highway out in the middle of nowhere and I am free from all this stuff for just a little while. : )

My main obsession is simply trying to always better myself. I love learning, but experiencing what I learn.
I dont care to just be book smart. It has to have a purpose.

My love is fast cars, and I know thats weird, and no I don't drive crazy out on the streets or in traffic. I am a very cautious driver, but get me on a drag strip, an old air strip, or highway out in the middle of nowhere and I am free from all this stuff for just a little while. : )
I think that book smarts serve a purpose, be it for personal amusement or for its philosophical implementations.

Yay, a fellow bookworm. :) I have quite a few interests as well and books are definitely top of my list. I'm a big fan of classics (usually from the Victorian era). I also like romance, sci-fi, and comics. I don't read many contemporary novels though. Don't know why but most of it doesn't interest me.

I don't mind the first or third person POV of a book just as long as they don't switch between the two (that's so annoying) and the story isn't told from too many characters. Other than that I'm interested in music, gaming, film, anime, and I might have a bit of an obsession with certain TV shows. *Ahem* :rolleyes:

More recently I've noticed I have a great interest in fictional characters. I love studying the minds, ambitions, interests, flaws, and challenges of fictional characters. I have far more interest in fictional than real people. But then again, I also like writing so this may be where my two interests overlap.

Martial arts, health and fitness, indoor rock climbing, reading biographies and learning, would like to change from karate to tai chi when I start again. Music, learning bass guitar, tho not doing much of anything now.

Still into Pokemon. I've slowed down on watching Youtube videos and more recently I've been getting enjoyment from interacting with other Pokemon fanatics on Pokemon forums. One thing I love about the Pokemon community is, it's pretty laid-back and accepting of all different types of people, including (perhaps unsurprisingly) people on the autism spectrum like me.

I've also been getting into Spongebob lately too. I have a lot of fun looking at Spongebob memes. It always amazes me that Spongebob's been airing for nearly two decades and still manages to stay relevant. It's probably because it's so easy to take clips and images from the show out of context and apply them to nearly any real-life situation.

With me it's definitely music. The band that I'm obsessed with right now is Psychedelic Furs. They're a band from the 80s and they have such great music. I saw them live three times and even met the guitarist two times! The second time I met him he actually remembered me and my name.:)
But I also love Green Day and The Smiths too and others.

I like reading too but I'm not that much of a reader. I like fiction and music biographies. I got a Psychedelic Furs one recently.

When I was a kid to early teens, I loved drawing, Japanese culture, and anime (Sailor Moon was my favorite). I would create my own characters and draw them anime style, and I would write my own stories using those characters. Now I'm not really into anime and I don't really draw anymore. But once in a great while I would draw pictures of Green Day singer Billie Joe Armstrong (I have a crush on him <3) and last year I drew a picture of the singer from Psychedelic Furs.

Since I was introduced to computers in 1979 with the Commodore PET (at the age of 10) I have been totally obsessed and spend every spare minute sat in front of a monitor (before that I used to play chess to a high standard and I was very good at electronics making a radio for instance).

I used to get up at 6am before school to use the computer before I got ready, during school breaks I'd read computer books / magazines, at lunch I would rush home (which was nearby) eating my food at the computer just to get another 30 minutes worth if I was lucky. I would get home and often my homework would be neglected as I couldn't tear myself away, my parents would eventually force me to go-to bed and only then I'd stop. During the weekends and holidays I would sit in front of a monitor literally all day unless my parents forced me to go somewhere, if I went out on my own free will it would be to visit a computer store or to buy computer books / magazines. I remember being made to go on holiday for 2 weeks at the age of 15 with my parents who had a caravan in the country about 50 miles away (in those days there was no mainstream portable computers). I absolutely hated it to the extreme and did nothing but read computer magazines / books, counting down the time until the holiday ended. In fact I was so bad my family finally broke the holdiay up and allowed me to go home for the day half way through when I managed to get a few welcome hours in front of the monitor, I remember being nagged to leave for the 2nd week of the holiday, arguing for just a few more minutes.

As an adult nothing has really changed, even at 48 years old I still spend all my time in front of a computer monitor and at night I use my PC until I physically can't anymore and often fall asleep at the keyboard. My interests somewhat change, but are always still computer related, E.g. I could be obessessed by running a server / website for a while, specific programming or I could even be obsessed by a particular game.

PS: What NTs don't understand is often an aspies special interest is a necessity to them, it's difficult to cope without it.

New Threads

Top Bottom