• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your interests or obsessions?

Right now I'd say Pokemon is my main obsession. I was starting to launch into a monologue about it but I'll spare the details. To make a long story short, I watch Pokemon "Top Ten" lists on Youtube every night, I've played all the Gens (so far) and Gen 6 is my fave, and my signature contains info about my Delphox in Pokemon X.

I found out the creator of Pokemon is an Aspie! I'm not into it myself, but I do find it interesting how Aspie's contribute to the world in distinctive ways.

My obsessions are generally linked in some way but not always, some last for years and others shorter periods of time. I have been obsessive about animals since early childhood, I can't even explain how much I love animals. Everything about them, I love them all so much. Everything about all of them is interesting and adorable. Animals make me smile so big sometimes. I have a particular interest in rats... weird I know. I've had pet rats for the last 10 years, I know more about rats, rat health, behaviour, wild and domestic than I know about my own lmao. I have rat paw prints tattoo'd on my arm. They're so smart, adorable, and fascinating. I have 4 of them and I honestly love them so much, just as much as I love my cats and other 'regular' animals. They are so interactive, funny and sweet. I doubt I will ever get over my obsession with rats even though it eases up and becomes less obsessive but it's still always a strong and primary interest. If anyone knows me, they know I love rats. Animals are definitely my primary obsession and interest my whole life. I'll cruise instagram for hours looking at animal accounts and I love talking about animals and animal health with others, esp other animal parents.

Otherwise, although I have very strong interests that vary in intensity as time goes on (but definitely remaining a strong interest) like philosophy and critical social justice theory of any kind. esp criminology. Foucaultian theories about crime, madness, etc. Ethics in philosophy makes my heart pound, I could talk about it or read about it for hours and hours. I've had really obsessive interest in substances, medications, psychedelics. harm reduction etc for years too, although that's eased up a bit and has slightly shifted to being obsessed with my meds and learning everything about them, their effects, others experiences etc.

Otherwise it's like I get obsessed with a subject, and can't stop thinking about it, researching it, analysing it, talking about it, watching anything I can find on it, and though the interest never fully goes away, the obessession tends to die down. Some of these interests have been cults, ISIS, north korea, etc. I honestly doubt that there is a documentary on north korea or ISIS that I haven't watched yet hahaha.

Right now I'm definitely in obsession mode about anything neurological, brain structure, neurodevelopmental functions/dysfunctions. I want to understand everything. If I'm not cruising this board reading than I'm reading something else or journals, documentaries etc. I feel like this obsession is going to be a long haul one but I always feel consumed by my obsessions so I dont know.

It's amazing the amount of information I can retain when it comes to my obsessions. If I could retain knowledge about calculus like I can about rats, I would be set. haha

The ones I can think of right now are:
  • Mathematics, particularly discrete mathematics: series, sequences, matrices, algorithms, etc.
  • Learning unusual/advanced words, reading: online dictionaries, thesauruses, dictionaries of unusual words, and in conjunction with the forenamed databases, using reverse dictionaries to obtain the perfect word to describe something. When I tell people that I love reading the dictionary, they tend to chuckle and believe that I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not.
  • Call of Duty series - maximizing accuracy rating and Team Deathmatch kill:death ratio through innovative, defensive playstyles I designed; my accuracy sits within the top 1% of all players on Modern Warfare 3 for Xbox 360 and my kill:death Ratio is, so far, ostensibly higher than 80% of my peers.
  • Doing 'bohemian writing' and making my own quotes

My main obsession is currently visual novels (they're basically interactive fiction/"Choose Your Own Adventure" games but with anime graphics). I enjoy playing the free/indie ones and I'm currently working on developing one of my own. (It's very crappy, I probably won't release it to the public though I'll probably post screenshots now and again...) I'm anxiously counting down the days to Degica's Visual Novel Maker software that's coming out on November 16th. It'll be my birthday present this year, which is perfect because it's the one thing I wanted most!

I'm also interested in fan-made Pokemon games and ROM hacks; I enjoy watching videos of people playing them on Youtube. I'm also interested in making one of my own, though if I ever do decide to make one, I definitely won't release it to the public for fear of getting a cease & desist from the good folks over at Nintendo.

I'm also getting back into loom-knitting. I'm currently working on a scarf for my Nana. When I'm finished with that, I plan to buy more yarn with my leftover birthday money and knit blankets for the cats at the animal shelter.

So, I have always been a big bookworm and I always love to get new ones to read. Back in the day I read more Fiction than anything else, and since midway through 2013 I turned around and starting reading Nonfiction.

In Fiction, I have read the Harry Potter series, the Left Behind series, and The Inheritance Cycle.

In Nonfiction, I have been reading mostly History and Political Science books, and through it all I have learned a great deal. Most of the books are either about George Washington and our Founding Fathers, or the Revolution in general; one is a biography of Ulysses S. Grant; one is about Dwight D. Eisenhower's years as President; and others have been about other topics in modern America.

Other books include the topic of writing and I have a few classics as well. Among the classics is a small compilation of Plato's work (going to buy his complete philosophical work eventually), a compilation from ancient Chinese authors (never actually finished it all, need to though), all three parts of Dante's Divine Comedy, a small compilation that includes The Prince by Machiavelli and Frederick the Great's instructions to his generals (never read it, need to), and, recently, a compilation of works from our Founding Fathers which led to my first reading of The Federalist Papers and other documents I never knew about.

I have a huge selection of books I still want, all of which are compiled on my Amazon wish list, and I want to collect even more classics as well. Among the classics I still want are a small number of Greco-Roman philosophical works and H.P Lovecraft's complete works (a recent decision).

As the name of this section is Obsessions and Interests, what are yours? What is that special interest you are always pursuing, or that obsession you cannot live without?

I cannot remember when I first started reading books, but I always hunger for more of them. The only books I cannot read are those in First Person, as I have never been able to get into them; I prefer to see everything from a Third Person perspective rather than being inside of an imaginary character.

I did see the thread about cataloging books as well as others, but this is more of a general thread rather than of anything specific.

I'm mostly obsessed with animals, coloring, notebooks and notepads, pencils, books, nature and most recently I've developed an obsession with weavesilk and the price label tagging gun thing I used in my last job.

Two-stroke motorcycles, trail riding, and photography.

X1-ZXfUi4RJwxT1Ps_LJ4Te0Us-S9-sG00FPBDCyiAJkGt0NANOdoNHVwLrfHLpU_cmInMX8_sIyXxu-VcSHyBKMY6Fnv1c-mnwLfA5JDoWhnYR4v9YahbgxRDlHI6BYJpIkLyEikZUYNWvL7U0qt4nwXy4l4EFP5yRwgur1ACO99JSiBTlExFlOqOP_M2zHSQgIr69JUs59F0pLNAPeBtIrFNFMFhwjy11i0D3dvuSZltTTKEaV0MFh-myR30AVNllXKe4rBfCCO6tXitAigbhRbUM-4LkawOInNREYveYIF91At92hnnNmeYmZPlAPKASijjPFOzoUNN_c3JSdQ3_Be-1Yvev7w4pNsMg_LjeFwEBy-_2FznEJngpfrbmsGMKZ4PR1cBqWI7XdIznCuiYxFt1jkCLSvs45fPLoeJHIZPc4cvzlG49MOdJdROzuBI7tPBkveUS1FDV-Gi2jkHQTarlguHfPTfXGHwbihFbMd_0Xk9ElD-mrzS9Hkm6oxUdRPnNwShu9lZYabN-C6ehaNBFcL4gulBoxp8hrJlmeJYXgalMNZ6mGEr8MWwnLxwy2IkOWZheKsRdg6KLRTQ9w_LSmCcB5dBOieAtjf7CIJC3-JEZAYB7YrBv_TWLvnwtORwPnB-0okPDTTvNScHRYAA=w1169-h657-no

As a kid it was stones. Particularly precious stones and metals, but any stones did the trick if they were interesting. It started when a jewel mine set up near our cottage, and my mother tought me to recognize jewels in the rough.

At some point I changed to history. It started with ancient roman history, then reneissance history (through their interest in the romans), and then french revolutionary history. This turned into interest on Marxism, and I spent most of my 20's studying all the schools of Marxism and active in marxist organizations. Then I bumped into some guy who had a blistering wittgensteinian critique of Marx, and it has slowly turned me more into Wittgenstein. Nowadays I study philosophy at university as a hobby. Wittgenstein would be ashamed of me.

My interests and obsessions include:
Drawing
Animals
Doll collecting
Mythology
Makeup
My Hogwarts house (Hufflepuff)
Lego
Disney Princesses
Star Wars

New Threads

Top Bottom