• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your current obsessions?

The Fairy School is adorable, I'll bet my nieces would love that. We're doing a Build a Bear workshop for the birthday of the youngest one (age 6). She is beside herself with joy and anticipation. Your current obsessions are fun! I am a baking enthusiast myself, and love to make old-fashioned layer cakes.

At the moment my obsessions are Asperger Syndrome and gardening with native plants. Native plants evolved with local birds, butterflies, bees and other pollinators. If you want to attract them, the best way is to provide them with the foods they most naturally want, and those will be found in native plants. Believe me, I can go on for hours but I will spare you all. I do love making my wildlife garden come to life.

We were supposed to have a build a bear party but I didn't like the fact you don't get a private room or anything your just stuck on the shop floor and if it's busy(hot, crowded, noisy) then that's a recipe for disaster for me and my daughter. We will be going to the workshop around her birthday though as an extra treat.

My husband keeps saying I'm obsessed with Asperger's but I don't think I am, I don't have that intense focus I have on my real obsessions, i go on forums and read books about it but I can leave all that and do something else without getting upset.

I really wish our garden could be more insect friendly but the truth is I can't stand insects so we don't have any flowers(well some daffodils in the front) but we have a couple of apple trees and a big ivy or holly bush (I forget which it is) and a few other bushes at the back. We did have two huge trees one in the front one in the back but we had to get them cut down as they were dangerous.

One thing my nieces love to do outside is to build fairy houses from sticks, moss, bits of bark, etc. It gives me a good opportunity to teach them about my obsession with wildlife habitat and native plants.

I've been obsessed with Karen Carpenter for the last 30 years since age 11. That's never changed. Lately I've started blogging, and I'm really enjoying that too.

The short stories of Clark Ashton Smith.

200px-Clark_Ashton_Smith_1912.jpg

Smith was born January 13, 1893 in Long Valley, California, of English and Yankee parentage. He spent most of his life in the small town of Auburn, California, living in a small cabin built by his parents, Fanny and Timeus Smith. His formal education was limited: he suffered from psychological disorders including a fear of crowds, and although admitted to high school after attending eight years of grammar school (Long Valley School, whence dates the earliest known photo of him), he never went to high school. His parents decided it was better for him to be educated at home.

However, he was an insatiable reader, and continued to teach himself after he left school. His education began with the reading of Robinson Crusoe (unabridged), Gulliver's Travels, the fairy tales of Hans Christian Anderson and Madame d'Aulnoy, the Arabian Nights and (at the age of 13) the poems of Edgar Allan Poe. He read an unabridged dictionary (the 13th edition of Webster?s) through, word for word, studying not only the definitions of the words but also their derivations from ancient languages. Having an extraordinary eidetic memory, he seems to have retained most or all of it.

The other main course in Smith's self-education was to read the 11th edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica through at least twice. Smith later taught himself French and Spanish in order to translate verse out of those languages. Smith professed to hate the provinciality of the small town of Auburn but rarely left it until he married late in life.

Another obsession: Reddit -- which I'm starting to enjoy.

reddit.jpg

There are actually some pretty interesting sub-Reddits on there that I've been looking at daily.

My obsessions are researching (information hunter), the internet, collecting and reading books (mainly non-fiction) with the exception of comic books, music (all kinds!) and religion.

Well I'm back supporting team I grew up with: The West Coast Eagles. You could say I was inspired by Tenacious D, and their new video, which features them flying on the wings of an eagle (in Jack's own words). Also, I hate Nathan Buckley, I just don't think I can put up with anymore crap from him...

1920s-1930s pulp fiction:

Weird_Tales_1936-07_-_Red_Nails.jpg
06_1935_11_wt_brundage.jpg

Weird_Tales_May_1934.jpg
weird_3306.jpg

05_1934_12_wt_brundage.jpg
04_1934_09_wt_brundage.jpg

Weird_Tales_December_1935.jpg
weird_3112.jpg

I'm especially fond of Robert E. Howard right now, but I think Clark Ashton Smith is more my cup of tea.

Sylvanian families and dolls (like Arashi's) I can't stop looking at either of them and I've started compiling lists of what I want to get.

The cookies/cakes things has totally gone, I had a complete meltdown over it because several things went wrong, my icing bag split, the icing was wrong(too runny), I messed up the cookies by forgetting to add vanilla because I was rushing but didn't realise until after I took them out (I also left them in too long because I was on the phone). I just had a complete rage and then a meltdown that day and it's really put a dampener on the obsession, I still enjoy making them but I don't have that absolute desperate desire to do it all day every day.

A band called Marina and the Diamonds (who coincidentally has a song called 'Obsessions'), loosing weight (I've managed to loose 5lbs in a week :O) and The Sims 3 pets.. :) before I didn't think I had any obsessions but now I've discovered I do it's just they are brief!

@Aillas

:|... I expected to find shaving :)

Haha.

Actually, at the moment I'm rather interested in shaving brushes as I want to upgrade to something more high end. My current badger hair brush is shedding way too much hair. At the rate it's shedding, it'll be useless in a few years. :(

Here are a few brushes I'll be choosing from:

duke3.jpg
smg_2b_soc.jpg
$(KGrHqVHJB8E63(O7nrWBOzvgk(mY!~~60_12.JPG

I might get one . . . or eventually all of them. :D

Sylvanian families and dolls (like Arashi's) I can't stop looking at either of them and I've started compiling lists of what I want to get.

The cookies/cakes things has totally gone, I had a complete meltdown over it because several things went wrong, my icing bag split, the icing was wrong(too runny), I messed up the cookies by forgetting to add vanilla because I was rushing but didn't realise until after I took them out (I also left them in too long because I was on the phone). I just had a complete rage and then a meltdown that day and it's really put a dampener on the obsession, I still enjoy making them but I don't have that absolute desperate desire to do it all day every day.

I spread the dollie disease.

BJD's are a huge obsession for me
Books

smg_2b_soc.jpg

Do you have to be in a club to own this one :) anyway would you join one? I imagine a bunch of guys gather once a week and shave together :)

Typewriters. Typewriters. Typewriters.

I started collecting them when I was unemployed 3 years ago and I now have over 60 of them. My wife even forced me to get rid of some on Etsy (meedily.etsy.com)

Unfortunately, due to their bulky nature, my home has quickly become somewhat cramped with machines of all ages. It used to only bug my wife. Now it's so bad it even bugs me. It wouldn't be so bad if I could actually get INTO the laundry room without almost tripping over a typewriter carrying case every single time.

Ugh...I think I need to find a home for them before I end up on Hoarders.

-Sam

I've been listening to Beach Boys a lot, especially songs from their not-so-popular album Wild Honey:

Sock it to me wild honey!

Last edited by a moderator:
Two TV shows -- Maury and The Steve Wilkos Show--my wife's father once asked me why I watch the shows, and I told him the truth:

"Simple, Dad--the shows remind me that there are people in this country who are dumber, and MORE IRRESPONSIBLE than **ME!!**" I mean, I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp by any stretch--but, I'm proud to say that I have never

Cheated on my wife
Laid hands on her in a violent manner (now, in other ways, that's another story altogether.... :p)

Which makes me a helluva lot better than the dregs of society that are on Maury, and Steve Wilkos.

I visited a reptile zoo a couple of days ago and held a tarantula. Not nearly as scary as it seems, btw. She felt quite nice. I was drawn to the tarantulas after the keeper said they're very sensitive to noise and sound and touch. It reminded me so much of myself. I'm seriously considering getting one as a pet

New Threads

Top Bottom