• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

what are some things that you LOVE about being an aspie?

chuckintime

I love that i can sometimes see the solution to problems in my head and it just amazes the people around me.. for a few minutes i will get praise and feel like i have a purpose. :bounce:

The ability to really focus on one subject. :photogenic: that's a smiley who's really focused on the picture in front of him.

I love that i can end conversations easily without worry about what they think or feeling like I have to continue on forever like my nt gf.

To start a project and find the answer I'm looking for. Even if that means it takes 5, 10 or 15 years. Recently I finished doing personal research on a social project-finally I had gotten all my ideas & results aftering starting it in 1998.

There's so much going on with me, I'm not sure if it fits the label "this is because of Asperger's". And considering I've heard a lot of labels thrown towards me, before and after Asperger's was an "official" thing I'm slightly in the middle of what exactly I love about me that's actually AS.

I tend to have a knack for thinking out of the box and coming up with the oddest, but most practical solutions with a lot of issues. Not sure how that's really AS. But I guess there's some credit to be given about being "unconventional". That seems to be something I read a lot about on aspie forums.

For a long period I was oblivious to a lot of things, and looking back at it, I actually loved that. The older I get, the more aware I get about social etiquette... I wish I could just revert to that, and scrap the notion of stuff being "offensive" and making people uncomfortable from my mind.

I might get back to this thread later... but these things came to mind right now.

I know exactly what you mean, I was diagnosed with everything under the sun until I found out it was aspergers and I've gone almost my whole life attributing things to those other illnesses but then I find out about aspergers and now im starting to see that most of it stems from that, but can also lead to things like anxiety, paranoia and other things. But it is very effective at blurring the lines.

My persistence. I have projects that lasted decades and I still keep going. It's my process and I don't seem to tire just yet.

The ability to focus both on details and the whole (although the latter is not supposed to be typical Aspie behavior, as far as I've understood... but then I have ADHD as well...) making the shift is really helpful some times when people get stuck in micro or macro perspective.

My honesty. It can hurt in the moment, but in the long run I think people like me for it, and they like that I dare be honest even when perhaps I shouldn't. I sometimes even manage to be a bit diplomatic about it... but I don't like to lie... at least not to people that matters to me.

Although, to be completely honest... I'm not always completely honest... :D

I love that i can sometimes see the solution to problems in my head and it just amazes the people around me.. for a few minutes i will get praise and feel like i have a purpose. :bounce:

Yes, I too problem solve by visualizing, and have learmed that I approach such things very differently than most others. Sometimes this is very good, sometimes not so. Often, tho, I am useful to have around when technical, physical and/or logical problems and processes need sorting or planning. Making people feel good so that they buy whatever crap we're making is not my forte, tho.

Not wasting time on senseless and useless chit chat. "So I go and she goes..........." When I was a supervisor in a nursing home I found it infuriating that staff spent so much time on personal calls. I heard stuff like, "So what are you doing? Did you eat yet? Nothing going on here. What are you doing on the weekend?" Really????? Personal calls were supposed to be limited to emergencies unless the worker was on break. This was during the pre-texting era. I have never sent a text in my life. I have a cell phone and use it only for urgent matters or to order a pizza so it is ready for pick up when I arrive at the restaurant. I have recently spent a lot of time watching video streaming of a litter of puppies. They were always piled up on top of each other and always touching each other. I know some of this is for warmth but it just seems that they had to have constant contact with another living being. What is so awful about being alone?

Enjoying my own company as opposed to seeking comfort in the presence of other people. Also, my "unique", I guess you could just say, way of being, is often a positive thing. Of course there are loads of people who've made fun of me for being different, but those who haven't think it's endearing, I guess. Can't complain about that. Also very glad about my ability to really focus in on one subject.

Another thing is the fact that load of aspies are very accepting people because of their own hardships (not all, but a good amount) and everyone is unique, so you can have a sense of belonging in the aspie community without forfeiting your own individuality.

Like most people have said, I love being able to focus on one subject. I love having tunnel vision, being able to not care about other people's gossip chit-chat etc. The other thing I love is having a open-mind & having more creativity & imagination than "normal" people. I get the feeling "normal" people can have a closed-mind & think some stuff is above them, think it's childish &/or stupid. Me, I can get into any story, book, movies, video games, etc, as long it's fun & makes sense to me.

Well, first off I don't really need anybody, since I'm perfectly fine on my own. I've seen several people go from relationship to relationship in life and that just doesn't seem fun.

I also think out of the box when it comes to solving problems, though I'm not sure if that comes from the Autism.

Finally, the tunnel vision when it comes to one project is also very nice.

I realize that each one of us is unique & my Aspie traits may be different to someone else's, but these are some of my Aspie traits that have saved my @$$ on many an occasion:

1. World-class zoning-out skills. This ability comes naturally: I do not have to work at it at all. In many Eastern traditions, they call this a profound meditative state. Monks, nuns & various sages, sadhus, Brahmans & other spiritually inclined sorts spend years: sometimes literally 3/4ths of a century practicing, refining and cultivating this 'detachment' that many of us get as an Aspie freebie.

2. My brain is able to bypass heaps of emotional dross, flotsam & jetsam to think my way through whatever I need to & get what needs to be done, DONE. Without a lot of unnecessary social or emotional rigmarole.

3. While in the NT world, a person who is able to just not give a $#!T about a host of things is considered to be mentally damaged at best & a dangerous psychopath at worst. Well, I have yet to commit any act that would likely get me incarcerated (or carted off in a basket to a padded cell). It has been a gift in my life that I do not feel like I have to FEEL a bunch of stuff just because people around me do. The majority is just that: a majority. It doesn't mean that their way of being is the best one or the correct one (there really is no such thing). Being able to not care enables me to devote any caring I DO have to issues (people, animals, interest & things) I sincerely DO care about. I do not think I have to drum up an emotional tsunami because others are & I never worry about whether or not it makes me a bad person or a good one. If I don't feel anything, well, it is what it is.

4. I'm one of those common sense, practical Aspies & it helps me get a lot done because I'm systems oriented & hyper-organized. I don't do chaos. My students appreciate this trait & have said so: our class is never in that 'hair on fire' state over anything. If a student has forgotten something, freaking out will not make said item appear. Think of a way to remediate the problem, compromise or do something else! Going ape-$#!T on some kid never accomplishes anything. I have also been able to transmit many practical organizational skills to my students, helping them become more streamlined & efficient too.

I love that I am ok to be alone. I no longer feel I have to be with someone to be complete or "normal". For me, this is normal!:coffee:

I love the focus I can put on things, and how fascinating many small things are. I don't know many people who can look with such fascination at a cloud or light beams for more than a few seconds. Some days it is my best activity - very calming and interesting at the same time.

I kinda love how much I enjoy snuggling into heat and softness, i.e. my bed. Just letting myself feel it is great. Might not be an Aspie trait, but I do find that I enjoy it more than most. :)

And definitely the ability to solve problems fast and instinctively. I can know the answer to a math problem in seconds without calculations, but if I do the math I rarely get the right result. Math is not my strong point.

Something that's a blessing and a curse is my ability to zone out. I like being able to look like I'm paying attention when I'm really not, but I wish I had better control over when it happens. Like one time I zoned out when I was driving. Fortunately no one else was around, but I'm terrified that might happen again. But I absolutely love my massive imagination, it helps me get through the day.

I absolutely love that I have an amazing memory and can recall pretty much anything. I also love that I'm good with domestic animals and am hyper-sensitive to any kind of stimuli.Being an Aspie overall feels like a good thing to me. I see few downsides to it.

New Threads

Top Bottom