• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What a relief!

Beanfinity

I just turned thirty last year. I've had a lot of struggles during these past two years, not limited just to COVID stress, but also unemployment, loss of a loved one, and loss of a sense of self, to name a few. My ability to keep up with life around me (what I've now found out is 'masking') has been pathetically low.

A month ago I watched Free Solo, a documentary on a world-famous climber, Alex Honnold, who topped El Capitan, the peak of accomplishment for any climber (pun intended), without any ropes or safety equipment. I related to him a lot, in his desire for solitude, and the documentary hinted at the possibility of an autism diagnosis for Alex. My boyfriend pointed out how much like him I am. As a climber myself, I wasn't offended, but rather felt flattered. Alex is an inspiration to me.

Two weeks ago, I found a meme I greatly related to. I can't remember what it was about, but it was hashtagged #autismspectrum and #neurodiversity. I thought, 'I don't know too much about this, I wonder why I relate to these things so much. Let me look into it.' And down the rabbit hole I went. For the next two weeks I took every assessment test I could find (scoring at least half or more for points), read every article on autism I came across (especially ones about women), meandered through reddit threads, ordered two books on autism (one of which I've already read), and am now (im)patiently waiting for my stim toys to come in the mail, to test out and see if they will help. Probably about 90% of what I researched gave me an 'aha!' moment. I related to so much. I reflected on my childhood, my struggles going into adulthood expecting that they would 'eventually be resolved, I just need to put more effort in' and constantly frustrated on the why, and how come, they persist. Everything started to fit together like a fast-forwarded time-lapse of a puzzle being completed, pieces flying in from every direction. I feel like I'm acting very quickly on this, but when you know you just know.

I brought this up to my boyfriend, before my book orders came in. I was scared to bring it up, afraid he would deny it, maybe claim that I 'act so normal' or think I am using it as an excuse to be a social recluse. But the opposite happened, and he had the same 'aha!' moments as I did as I explained myself. He encouraged me to seek a diagnosis if I felt I needed one, and he hoped the realization didn't make me feel worse, but actually gave me some peace of mind, which it does.

So, now I am here. I hope I can find some more 'aha!' moments here, and sus out all the things that make me uniquely me so I can finally just be ok with them, and find effective ways to cope other than masking (I'm tired). It is nice to finally have something of an answer. What a relief!

Welcome!

Coming across something that I read casually that I really related to was also the spark that started my journey.

In the resources section there's a number of books (most of them have one or more reviews from members here) if you're looking for more reading suggestions.

Some of my favourites that you might like as well, if you haven't already read them or have them on the way include:

Hello and welcome! Glad you have found us. If you can stick around for awhile and read the threads, I imagine you will have many more “aha moments.”

Let us know if you need any help finding your way around the forum.

Welcome! What an exciting time this must be for you. I hope your journey of self discovery will bring you greater understanding, but also compassion and forgiveness towards yourself. I know the last bit has taking me a long time after my diagnosis, but I’m starting to get there.

Welcome. It is great that you are understanding your neurology and have a companion who is supportive. My diagnosis came much later in life when PTSD from earlier social isolation caught up with me.

Welcome!

Coming across something that I read casually that I really related to was also the spark that started my journey.

In the resources section there's a number of books (most of them have one or more reviews from members here) if you're looking for more reading suggestions.

Some of my favourites that you might like as well, if you haven't already read them or have them on the way include:

Hi @VictorR,

I will definitely go take a look at the research section. And thank you for the book suggestions! Spectrum Women is definitely on my list to read.

Welcome! What an exciting time this must be for you. I hope your journey of self discovery will bring you greater understanding, but also compassion and forgiveness towards yourself. I know the last bit has taking me a long time after my diagnosis, but I’m starting to get there.
Hi @Bolletje,

Thank you for the warm welcome! I do have a lifetime of being hard on myself to undo. For now, I'll enjoy the reprieve for a little bit.

1682982825072.png

Hi there and welcome @Beanfinity

Enjoy the journey of self discovery - it can be a longer journey, I am 3 years in from diagnosis and still learning.

I just turned thirty last year. I've had a lot of struggles during these past two years, not limited just to COVID stress, but also unemployment, loss of a loved one, and loss of a sense of self, to name a few. My ability to keep up with life around me (what I've now found out is 'masking') has been pathetically low.

A month ago I watched Free Solo, a documentary on a world-famous climber, Alex Honnold, who topped El Capitan, the peak of accomplishment for any climber (pun intended), without any ropes or safety equipment. I related to him a lot, in his desire for solitude, and the documentary hinted at the possibility of an autism diagnosis for Alex. My boyfriend pointed out how much like him I am. As a climber myself, I wasn't offended, but rather felt flattered. Alex is an inspiration to me.

Two weeks ago, I found a meme I greatly related to. I can't remember what it was about, but it was hashtagged #autismspectrum and #neurodiversity. I thought, 'I don't know too much about this, I wonder why I relate to these things so much. Let me look into it.' And down the rabbit hole I went. For the next two weeks I took every assessment test I could find (scoring at least half or more for points), read every article on autism I came across (especially ones about women), meandered through reddit threads, ordered two books on autism (one of which I've already read), and am now (im)patiently waiting for my stim toys to come in the mail, to test out and see if they will help. Probably about 90% of what I researched gave me an 'aha!' moment. I related to so much. I reflected on my childhood, my struggles going into adulthood expecting that they would 'eventually be resolved, I just need to put more effort in' and constantly frustrated on the why, and how come, they persist. Everything started to fit together like a fast-forwarded time-lapse of a puzzle being completed, pieces flying in from every direction. I feel like I'm acting very quickly on this, but when you know you just know.

I brought this up to my boyfriend, before my book orders came in. I was scared to bring it up, afraid he would deny it, maybe claim that I 'act so normal' or think I am using it as an excuse to be a social recluse. But the opposite happened, and he had the same 'aha!' moments as I did as I explained myself. He encouraged me to seek a diagnosis if I felt I needed one, and he hoped the realization didn't make me feel worse, but actually gave me some peace of mind, which it does.

So, now I am here. I hope I can find some more 'aha!' moments here, and sus out all the things that make me uniquely me so I can finally just be ok with them, and find effective ways to cope other than masking (I'm tired). It is nice to finally have something of an answer. What a relief!

Welcome. I think a lot of us here had an experience similar to you.

By the way I was climber too. I have some injuries and cannot climb unless my shoulders get better but I loved that film and I knew a lot of people who know him.

What is your rating? When I stopped I was 5.10c/V3, all on indoor climbing.

Welcome. I think a lot of us here had an experience similar to you.

By the way I was climber too. I have some injuries and cannot climb unless my shoulders get better but I loved that film and I knew a lot of people who know him.

What is your rating? When I stopped I was 5.10c/V3, all on indoor climbing.
Hi @grommet, nice to meet a fellow climber! I actually injured my shoulder a while back and need to keep the physio up just to keep climbing. I hope you get back into it some day!

I am about the same level, I just topped my first 5.11- a couple weeks ago, pretty happy about that. I'm hovering around V4, trying to build the strength to project V5s. Also all indoor, but I definitely want to try outdoor this summer.

Hi @grommet, nice to meet a fellow climber! I actually injured my shoulder a while back and need to keep the physio up just to keep climbing. I hope you get back into it some day!

I am about the same level, I just topped my first 5.11- a couple weeks ago, pretty happy about that. I'm hovering around V4, trying to build the strength to project V5s. Also all indoor, but I definitely want to try outdoor this summer.

I think you are lucky. I wish I could climb. I have been doing physio for more than two years and it is not getting better. I am starting to think I will not climb again. Very sad about that. I have very good memories though, wonderful days climbing.

I climbed every time I could. I would get up at 3am to be at the gym at 6am when they would open. One week I went climbing three times.

I wish I had gotten an outdoor climb, I really wanted that. I did my best though and really enjoyed what I did. I hope you keep getting better so you can keep climbing.

New Threads

Top Bottom