• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Went to an Autism expo today

artfull dodger

My wife and I attended a small Autism expo today in South Bend, Indiana. Very nice banquet hall where it was held, lighting was kept subdued which was very helpful for myself and I am sure others. Got tons of info from various autism support groups, while mostly geared to children as is most support in the USA, a couple of groups are working on setting up small group meetings for adults on the spectrum to help with topics such as socializing, jobs and just plain get us out of the house and maybe make a new friend. Got to ride on a device that simulates riding a horse at a slow walk, was very soothing, if I had my noise canceling headset with some nature and horse sounds quietly playing, I could put myself into my inner world and calm myself down if I was agitated or on the verge of meltdown. I was the very first adult with an ASD diagnosis to ride on the device and give them feed back. I have rode real horses when I was younger and the motion was most realistic in my opinion. I have tons of handouts to read thru and process. I hope to report back on this more once I have time to read and process. Now its time to go wrap myself in my weighted blanket after a long day with way to much stimulation. Mikie

Cool glad you went and checked it out. I wish I could go to one just to see what went on. What did you there? Was it fun? What information did you glean from it?

It was a small even overall, all were booths from companys or vendors that serve or offer services to the autism community. Two were companies offering toys, a couple were camps with programs for autistic children, others offered services for teens and young adults making that transition. And a couple were working on programs for adults, mostly in the form of looking into forming small support groups that meet once a month. Adult support for HFA and AS is basicly non-exhistant. Only those with profound autism have anything in the way of support. But a few places are trying to change that. But we all know that change is slow and to not hold our breath for it. I did find a few books at one vendor for adults with AS. I am searching for a more cheaper option, like amazon, to aquire a copy of them. The event was short, from 10am till 1pm, but well done with low level lighting, plenty of staff on hand. It was mostly all parents of children on the spectrum, a few had those children with them but not all. So, it wasnt a total sensory overload for an adult on the spectrum that was there like myself. I did enjoy the quiet time in the car afterwards to process and recover. Mike

New Threads

Top Bottom