• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weather woes *sigh*

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I'm fighting myself (metaphorically speaking) right now...

There is a large winter event today, there is snow predicted, temperature will be dropping to -18 Celsius by the afternoon (it's an outdoor event), and the highways will probably be rather interesting

I paid $30 for the event, and it's one of my many favourites, I'm not sure how the highway conditions will be, the news media says they are poor but they always say that! I think they say that to scare inexperienced winter drivers, IMHO... But then maybe I'm too fearless sometimes with winter driving and I need someone to remind me to be a little to be more sensible...

Just that it's March now and I still haven't been to any large events yet this year, and this event is the only exciting thing happening this month, nothing else is happening, just boredom :rolleyes:

I almost wish they would have just bump it to next weekend when it will be better weather, but clearly they are not

I just feel like my life is ruined, and I feel devastated right now, is this not my year? :( Ack!

Alright, maybe... Here is the local highway report... Click on the traffic camera link just south of Calgary where the road is marked red (for snow cover), it's probably the same road conditions where the big event is...

Go, Sherlock! You are an experienced winter driver, you already paid for the event, and you really want to go. As a Canadian, I bet you carry emergency supplies in your car just in case you get stranded, and the police probably will be monitoring the highway to rescue anyone who gets into trouble.

Stuck in a bad thought pattern that is just going back and forth

I think I'll wave the white flag today, but thanks for the thought @Mary Terry , the highways are starting to look a little too nasty, I don't have 4WD, I suspect much of their audience is local ranchers and cowboys, it's that kind of event... They will have far less distance to travel and likely have a 4x4, and the rest of us don't count...

Quote from a local friend I texted with this morning:

"I know that cars are starting to hit the ditch up and down the TransCan. The locals say getting back from Calgary is sketchy. We've had about 12 cm out here so far."

Yikes! If the road is already that bad, then better skip the event. How frustrating. :(

This all just stacks up to what feels a like a year of disappointment so far

Will likely go for a walk today, maybe downtown, maybe somewhere else, I still need to get out of the house, even at -18

The view just walking to catch the bus inside the city
PXL_20240302_185603777.jpg

Last edited:
I'd trade you, but you wouldn't fare any better. It snowed more than a foot last night and the winds are awful.

I won't even be taking out the trash today. Road services are somewhat less on a weekend as well.

And to think I needed to do the monthly grocery shopping. The cupboards and what's in the fridge are getting a bit lean about now.

Last edited:
It sounds as if the immortality of your youth is being worn off by experience. I'm pretty good at managing traction, but I slid off the road once. It was straight, but covered in wet ice.

Currently downtown doing B&W snow photography downtown, maybe get something interesting along the way

It sounds as if the immortality of your youth is being worn off by experience. I'm pretty good at managing traction, but I slid off the road once. It was straight, but covered in wet ice.
Do you mean knowing your limits? I can still be quite fearless still, but...

There is a large winter event today, there is snow predicted, temperature will be dropping to -18 Celsius by the afternoon (it's an outdoor event), and the highways will probably be rather interesting

I paid $30 for the event, and it's one of my many favourites, I'm not sure how the highway conditions will be, the news media says they are poor but they always say that! I think they say that to scare inexperienced winter drivers, IMHO... But then maybe I'm too fearless sometimes with winter driving and I need someone to remind me to be a little to be more sensible...

Just that it's March now and I still haven't been to any large events yet this year, and this event is the only exciting thing happening this month, nothing else is happening, just boredom :rolleyes:

I almost wish they would have just bump it to next weekend when it will be better weather, but clearly they are not

I just feel like my life is ruined, and I feel devastated right now, is this not my year? :( Ack!
If your weather woes sigh, they may be wind or gust related.

A photo I would not have gotten if I drove the crappy roads to the event... One person posted that the highways to the event were dangerous and white out conditions... Meantime meet Susan and her vintage Boler (1974), in the deep snow... I saw it from the train, just had to get off to investigate! For those not from Canada, these Boler trailers have a cult following...

Boler 01.jpg

Snowed a bit more last night too. Oh well, another Sunday cooped up in a warm apartment. Fine by me.

Winter_2024.jpg

I'd take out the trash, but I can't remember where I left my snowshoes. :p

Be glad that you were not in Saskatoon...we woke up Sunday to 3 feet of snow...absolutely crippled everything....had to wait 24 hours before driving home.

Be glad that you were not in Saskatoon...we woke up Sunday to 3 feet of snow...absolutely crippled everything....had to wait 24 hours before driving home.

You're a world traveler now :laughing:

I did hear that on the news, but I still missed the main event though :rolleyes:

The drive home was surprisingly good...the first 100km I had to dodge some 30cm-40cm deep drifts creeping across the right lanes, but otherwise the roads were mostly clear and dry, so it was a unexpectedly fast drive back...got in at 2pm, which was good, as we had to be at a pub to host a munch at 6pm....pretty tiring weekend overall.

New Threads

Top Bottom