• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ways to recover spoons?

I've noticed lately that social events tend to drain me way quicker than they used to and my spoons don't replenish for several days. Does anyone know of any methods (if it's even possible) to speed up the process?

The only remedies I know are time and lots of self-care (like enough sleep, healthy food, exercise, taking care of sensory needs, and doing things that bring you feelings like joy, satisfaction, relaxation, accomplishment, contentment, etc. or that just let your mind take a break from stress.)

I thought I was losing my mind at first once I saw the_tortoise responding as if it made sense. :eek: I had so many weird images!

Just from reading that, it seems as if you don't recover them more quickly or get more of them or anything. It's an explanation of limitations. If they were flexible, it wouldn't mean anything.

@Fino
It is exactly that.
An explanation of limitations.
--

The spoon theory is a disability metaphor (for a combination of ego depletion, fatigue, and other factors), a neologism used to explain the reduced amount of mental and physical energy available for activities of living and productive tasks that may result from disability or chronic illness.[a] Spoons are a visual representation used as a unit of measure in order to quantify how much energy a person has throughout a given day. Each activity requires a given number of spoons, which will only be replaced as the person "recharges" through rest. A person who runs out of spoons has no choice but to rest until their spoons are replenished.

This metaphor is used to describe the planning that many people have to do to conserve and ration their energy reserves to accomplish their activities of daily living.[1] The planning and rationing of energy-consuming tasks has been described as being a major concern of those with chronic and fatigue-related diseases, illness, or conditions.

The theory explains the difference between those who don't seem to have energy limits and those that do. The theory is used to facilitate discussions between those with limited energy reserves and those without.[2][3] Because healthy people typically are not concerned with the energy expended during ordinary tasks such as bathing and getting dressed, the theory helps healthy people realize the amount of energy expended by chronically ill or disabled people to get through the day.[4]
Spoon theory - Wikipedia

I just try and accept the spoons are gone. They are no more. And use the bowl. I don't care what people think!

1_d2SalRVcmsvkKiotzL_hnw.jpeg

I've noticed lately that social events tend to drain me way quicker than they used to and my spoons don't replenish for several days. Does anyone know of any methods (if it's even possible) to speed up the process?
I think as you age, you probably do lose a little bit of replenishment ability. (that's the bad news, sorry)

But look at what you are coping with right now, are there more demands than usual? If your age on your profile is correct (18) you are getting close to a major life transition. You may be having new expectations and loss of structure and routines that used to help you.

One of the best ways to stretch your coping ability is developing routines. People with autism definitely benefit by routines. Without them, you are likely to drift along, sleeping at odd hours, doing less and less of substance until eventually you do nothing at all.

What is your day to day life like, these days?

Doing things I'm passionate about seems to replenish me. Otherwise, it's mostly a matter of terminating battery wasters with extreme prejudice. This includes people, too. Remember, this is survival.

You have the advantage of being young and being aware of your condition. The demands on you only increase from here, so use this time wisely. Figure out what sensory and social things drain you the most, and how to minimize or eliminate them. For example, I've figured out that processing speech is difficult for me, so now I do things via writing as much as possible.

You can also build habits and systems for yourself to make day to day life easier. For example, I like to cook large amounts of food on my day off and freeze most of it, so I can simply heat up a frozen meal rather than have to cook or order takeout every night. Much of adult life is small mundane tasks, so figure out how to do things efficiently and on autopilot as much as possible. The energy you save over time really adds up.

Find what recharges you. If I can take some time out to take a walk, read a chapter of a book, or work on a constructive project for a bit, I quickly get recharged and energized.

@Fino When I first heard of using up spoons, I thought what a funny expression.
I thought literally of spoons.
I had to learn the meaning so it made sense.
Now I hear everyone talking about transparency. That one is driving me crazy currently.
"...here we take transparency seriously." (for example)
Have you got clean windows or what?

I don't know how many of you were around when I joined, but, I remember a thread that went on
forever on empathy. Seemed no one could quite figure out it's meaning.
I finally got it and there are three types stuff.

I was going to say for replenishing Spoons, call Uri Geller!
But, seriously, rest and getting away from things that stress me is the only way I know.
Wait until you're 62. Getting those spoons back becomes slower and slower.
uri_geller_dance-music.jpeg

Last edited:
Why not just say "energy" instead of "spoons"?
Personally I think in terms of battery rather than spoons. I've noticed that if NTs are fatigued and overloaded enough, they lose functioning in myriad ways, just like we do. They just have to be pushed further to hit that point. I'm not knocking spoon theory, but I strongly suspect that it's inside out for ASD folk. I don't think we have any less energy to begin with, it's just that stupid random things cost us much more energy than normal, so we tire faster.

New Threads

Top Bottom