• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*waves* Hullo everyone!

VioletEglantine

Hi there. I’m so happy to have found you all. I’ll be 58 next month. I’m in the US and just self diagnosed a couple months ago.

I’m still reeling. I’m trying to avoid FB now but it’s difficult because I did find some nice Autistic groups. So I’m very glad to have an alternative.

It’s all been so intense and a relief in some ways and heartbreaking in others.

My work history is a crazy quilt. I’m an artist, writer, and have a small Shakespeare company. I’m happy to meet you!

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

I'm sure you'll be happy to know that there are plenty of other Older People here as well, so you're not alone with us Younger Folks :)

I'm always happy when someone is happy to find me, with me being an assumed part of us!

Wait, what?

Welcome!! ;)

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

I'm sure you'll be happy to know that there are plenty of other Older People here as well, so you're not alone with us Younger Folks :)

Thank you! I definitely prefer age diverse groups both irl and online. Nice to meet you!

I was probably a month from being 59 when I realized I was on the spectrum. I didn't need an official diagnosis to feel certain - if you match 95% of something, I think you can be certain you fit. :) Anyway, I did get an official diagnosis before I told my kids and did that so they would know the possibilities of themselves or their children also being on the spectrum with more than just an "I think". One son pretty much decided he is, too. Another son - who definitely isn't was not surprised. One daughter probably is, the other just is what she is and no further checking. :) So, they know it's in the family and that was my point of the diagnosis. Many on here is content without an official diagnosis - it can get fairly expensive. So either way, you're at home here. :)

I was probably a month from being 59 when I realized I was on the spectrum. I didn't need an official diagnosis to feel certain - if you match 95% of something, I think you can be certain you fit. :) Anyway, I did get an official diagnosis before I told my kids and did that so they would know the possibilities of themselves or their children also being on the spectrum with more than just an "I think". One son pretty much decided he is, too. Another son - who definitely isn't was not surprised. One daughter probably is, the other just is what she is and no further checking. :) So, they know it's in the family and that was my point of the diagnosis. Many on here is content without an official diagnosis - it can get fairly expensive. So either way, you're at home here. :)

Thanks! I’ve heard such horror stories about people trying to get a diagnosis and, at this point, I know myself. The only 2 people who care (my husband and son) both agree with me about the diagnosis. My son is definitely AS and I’m not sure about my husband.
At first I thought he was but now I don’t know.

Regardless of whether you pursue the official dx or not, you are both welcome, and in good company, here.

I only at age 48 had this epiphany, last June, to be exact--- @Pats is absolutely correct--- when you know, you know.

Studying and understanding how your ASD has affected you will help with the adjustment, and eventually the diagnosis, if you pursue it, so...
Study, Study, Study...
And Welcome!.

Hi VioletEglantine

welcome to af.png

New Threads

Top Bottom