• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Was your birth normal or complicated? (vote only related to people with autism please)

Your birth (person with autism) was normal or complicated?

• Normal.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • There were complications.

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters
@Richelle-H @zurb

I don't know if this position is agreed by most 'doctors' but it says this in the study:

it is generally acknowledged that autism has a genetic basis, based on the evidence of a high level of heritability and high concordance rates in monozygotic versus dizygotic twins (Ronald et al., 2006; Hallmayer et al., 2011). However, this genetic basis is likely strongly influenced by environmental factors (Deth et al., 2008;

Last edited:
Yes recent research has definitely shown autism to be significantly genetic, but they've identified so many relevant genes, overy 70 I believe, that they can't easily narrow down what's going on. Plus so far it's about 49% non genetic factors though that could just be that relevant additional genetics isnt understood fully or identified yet.

I am self diagnosed as autistic. I was born significantly late, they were about to induce the birth. I think it was my head getting bigger, but that's just an opinion completely unsupported by any facts. My head is big though. So are lots of people's NT and autie of course. Just rambling now, I ll stop. Except to add, my sister also high autistic traits or Aspergers self diagnosed, was born on the day she was expected to be! Only 5 lbs in weight.

SEVERE birth complications . Got stuck and was out of oxygen for (my own calculations ) minimum 5 minutes. One minut more and i would be dead or even more and worse diagnosis . They had to pull me out to save my life

Last edited:
And there are neurotypicals born after a breech birth ,c-section ,it's more fuel to the hate autism camp

And there are neurotypicals born after a breech birth ,c-section ,it's more fuel to the hate autism camp

I could be relative, no absolute like that, maybe is a affecting factor and not the direct cause.
Also i don't see the hate relationship with childbirth complications?

Interesting that my birth was normal, but I ended up with several birth defects. However, I don't believe autism was "induced" by any of it. I have two siblings (brother and sister). Each of us had various birth defects. Only I am autistic. I suspect the defects are due to my mother being exposed to DDT as a child and young adult. DDT, which is now banned was an insecticide that controlled insects by inducing birth defects.

I had one distant cousin that was autistic. He wasn't officially diagnosed as no one in the family nor area where he lived ever heard the word autism. I just know he was because I remember visiting many times through his lifetime. He was a solid fit for autism.

My mom had debilitating morning sickness with me and my brother, and I had it with both of my kids, and all of us are either diagnosed or heavily suspected autistic.

Apparently, when my mother was pregnant with me, the doctors told her that I would be a miscarriage and that she would give birth to a dead fetus. I know this because my mother told me this multiple times.

Before I was born, I almost lost my chance to do so.

The umbilical cord had wrapped around my neck, and I went into distress. What's really bizarre is... I actually remember the sensation of not being able to breathe. It's like... my throat was there, my body built it, but it was just a solid cylinder. They had to cut me out. I was a C-sec.

Is that why I'm like this...? Is it because I waited too long?

I think the votes are interesting, its just a poll but there is a lot of compicated births, thats not... normal i guess??

I think the votes are interesting, its just a poll but there is a lot of compicated births, thats not... normal i guess??

Between 2014-2018, the rates of pregnancy complications rose more than 16%, while rates for childbirth complications rose more than 14%. About seven out of every 1,000 pregnant women experienced both kinds of complications, a nearly 31% increase since 2014.Jun 17, 2020 from Trends in Pregnancy and Childbirth Complications in the U.S..

One thing to note here is that while autisim seems to be increasing lock step with childbirth complications, correlation is not causation.

The numbers of older adults being diagnosed with autisim is also on the rise, which suggests that diagnosis and understanding of autisim has been improved, not that there are actually more autistics born today than in generations past.

In fact, if you look at the charcters of classic novels you will often spot autistic charcters, variously described as "retarded", "feeble minded" or even just plain "odd". This suggests that autisim is not new but historically regarded as something else.

Lennie Small of Mice and Men, published in 1937, is certainly one such chacter. There are many others but that example stands out as it is one of my favorite books.

Last edited:
Between 2014-2018, the rates of pregnancy complications rose more than 16%, while rates for childbirth complications rose more than 14%. About seven out of every 1,000 pregnant women experienced both kinds of complications, a nearly 31% increase since 2014.Jun 17, 2020 from Trends in Pregnancy and Childbirth Complications in the U.S..

In that reports it say 15 of 1000 of women have childbirth complications thats like thats like less than 2 percent of women? the votes here are 50/50 almost. ?? maybe people voted c-section as childbirth complication when there were not other issues.

Both me and Bro were normal births, my son was normal. All of us with ASD. Definitely genetic in our case. We suspect our dad has it and now I'm also suspecting an uncle, his brother because they're both very alike. Interesting study though.

In that reports it say 15 of 1000 of women have childbirth complications thats like thats like less than 2 percent of women? the votes here are 50/50 almost. ?? maybe people voted c-section as childbirth complication when there were not other issues.

The rate of autisim (in childeren) is estimated to be 1 in 54 in the U.S.
That is just under 3% of the popuulation of the U.S.
A rate of less than 2% childbirth complications is not a statistically significant difference. But again, correlation is not causation.
To have a higher rate of childbirth complications in a miniscule data set is also not statistically significant. It is coincidence.

The rate of autisim (in childeren) is estimated to be 1 in 54 in the U.S.
That is just under 3% of the popuulation of the U.S.
A rate of less than 2% childbirth complications is not a statistically significant difference. But again, correlation is not causation.
To have a higher rate of childbirth complications in a miniscule data set is also not statistically significant. It is coincidence.

I think your math is skewed a bit, if in general people have less child birth complications that when someone gives birth a autistic that could mean something? i don't know... i am not saying its the cause of autism.
Also i don't feel that having a child with a complicated birth and relating it to autism can be some kind of stigma in any way, maybe only cruel people would think that. (i am not talking about you).

@NB79 my math is deffinately not exact. I think, in order to make any kind of sense of autisim as a result of a complicated birth you would have to consider much more data.
We know autisim is not "brain damage". The neurological connections involved in autisim begin in the brain long before birth, even if some of those connections and pathways continue to develop after birth and into childhood.
Doctors and researchers also believe there is a genetic component. While no one gene has been identified as a marker of autisim, heredity does play a role.
Some of the genes involved may also indicate a higher likelyhood of genetic predisposition to certain birth complications. A very basic example might be a narrow pelvis in the mother that is often the cause of a breech birth. But these questions and their parts are complex. To date I don't believe these questions have been studied rigorously.

Before I was born, I almost lost my chance to do so.

The umbilical cord had wrapped around my neck, and I went into distress. What's really bizarre is... I actually remember the sensation of not being able to breathe. It's like... my throat was there, my body built it, but it was just a solid cylinder. They had to cut me out. I was a C-sec.

Is that why I'm like this...? Is it because I waited too long?
You are one of the few who can remember before birth?

I find that even more interesting than the connection between complicated births and autism.
I, too, am one of those who have those birth and before memories. Heard of a few others.
Very few.
I don't remember in utero, but, I have memories back to birth.

Personally, I don't think birth complications is the cause of autism. I believe it is something
in the genes that causes a different hard wiring of the brain as it develops.

New Threads

Top Bottom