• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Was your birth normal or complicated? (vote only related to people with autism please)

Your birth (person with autism) was normal or complicated?

• Normal.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • There were complications.

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters

NB79

I heard there could be a possible connection related to autism *i have no idea* but just out of curiosity.

Was your birth normal?

Mine was not. My mother suffered a lot and it was a breech birth.

My own birth was normal.
Just for comparison:
My son was a frank breech with minor deformaties and very low apgar scores 1s and 0s but is NT.

I was a Breech birth.

I read quite a few years ago that there was thought to be a connection (ie. higher incidence of autism with complicated births). But then several years ago I thought I read statistics did not indicate a connection. Not sure what they think now. Have not seen any studies on it in recent years.

My son was born with cord wrapped around his neck and is just like his old Dad autism wise. But I think it could well be he got it passed down gene wise, as it runs in my and my wife's family.

My son was born with cord wrapped around his neck and is just like his old Dad autism wise. But I think it could well be he got it passed down gene wise, as it runs in my and my wife's family.

My sister the same (cord) but she is not autistic. Also i don't know if there is someone in my family before with autism, i think there weren't any i don't know.

Mine was a planned C-section, as my mom had a tilted uterus, and had a hard time delivering my brother as a result. After I was born, she did have a mini-stroke, but survived. While I was born without complications, I can't help but wonder if it was genetic, as I had a paternal uncle with autism.

I never heard any specific stories, so thus I would assume that it was a normal birth, my parents are both gone now so I can't ask them...

Mine was fast (45 min after getting to the hospital) and my mom immediately hemorrhaged after and almost died (thank you blood transfusions) her placenta was double lobed and one lobe fused to her cervix so they had no idea that was the issue for a couple days since a placenta had come out.

I was ok it was mostly bad for her (she is ok thankfully)

She had complications with both of my siblings too but I am the only autistic one. (she didn't do anything to have the complications and they were different every time she is just unlucky)

My birth was not normal. I also have 22q.11.2 deletion so I came out blue and not being able to breathe so I nearly died.

- I had seizures while in Utero
- I had to come out via C-Section, 2 months before I was due
- I was in an incubator for a while, roughly 6 months, possibly a little longer than that
- I had air in my stomach, so I had a surgery done to get that removed; I still have a scar across my stomach that's still healing (almost there now)
- I had to use a Nebulizer for a good while as my lungs didn't quite finish developing

Some answers to a couple questions I'm sure I'll get:

- The seizures while I was in Utero was the only time I've had them, haven't had any since.
- I can breathe normally, without aid of an Inhaler

That is an interesting study. Though I know that in my case my mother was given no drugs to induce labor or block any labor pains.

It's a valid study. I just note the population sample is small.

Yes 50 only.

"Using the Fisher’s exact test, children with ASD were 2.83 times more likely to have been born after experiencing a birth complication"

I was a twin born through a c-section and was over a month premature. That said, I asked my Mom about this recently as it's part of the diagnosis and she had a very easy pregnancy and birth. My twin was weaker, and in more distress prior to the C-section but he is neurotypical.

Unplanned (I think?) C-section, 34 weeks. Pretty sure it was to avoid a breech.

I saw a bunch of moms fighting online once over which was harder, C-section or regular. They were just being nasty to each other! My mom's done both and she says they're about the same.

Lot's of complications with me.

I was one of those who had a twin, but, it died in the fetus stage.
They say the surviving absorb it into them and later in life will usually develop a
terra toma tumor. And studies in a UK documentary I saw, seems to connect terra tomas
to cancer somewhere later. True for me. The terra toma was ovarian, but, the cancerous
one was liver.

Mom had pneumonia in the third trimester and was out of her consciousness at times with fever.
She was given so much penicillin, I was born allergic to it.

Then her placenta broke on time when I was supposed to be born, but, I wasn't born until
almost a month later. They would never allow a mom to got that long anymore.
It was a dry birth and she almost bled to death. No drugs were used for pain either.
I was born healthy.

I don’t doubt that accidents and difficult births can create autistic traits. But don’t focus on that as the only cause because it is much wider than that. Our boys were very different before being born, so I don’t think birth was the deciding factor!

I was a low forceps delivery.

However, I read a study that could find no correlation between a number of birth complications and autism. I personally believe it is a combination of factors, some of them genetic. I am content with who I am so it is all smoke in the wind to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom