• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Want to Work but Nervous

Butterfly88

Jello Queen
V.I.P Member
There is this store I'd kind of like to work in and they actually have a sign that says they are hiring. But I'm nervous to apply. Also, it's a clothing store so I'm afraid I'd have to dress fashionably and I have sensory issues. I'm off college for the summer and I'm so bored and wishing I had more money. I'll be a part time student next semester so I guess I could keep the job. Though I'm not sure how working would go since I have paranoia. And up until recently I wasn't emotionally stable, so maybe it's too soon to work. I don't know, maybe I should apply and see what happens.

Being nervous is quite understandable. How do you personally feel? If you honestly feel like you want to take on a job then go for it. If it is something you feel you should do, then were I you, I would rethink it.

I have sensory issues too. Don't sweat what you do not have a whole lot of control over. Go ahead and apply as it might be a fun place to work

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I should apply. I don't know how much fun it would b e working there but I think the experience would be good for me plus I'd probably get an employee discount there and since I love to shop there that would be cool.

Being a reliable employee has seldom been a problem for me in the long term. VERY long term in one case.

But successfully meeting the challenges of any job interview...has always been like climbing Mount Everest for me. Something I seldom like admitting. I'm quite cognizant of all those mechanics one might apply in optimizing the whole experience. But such considerations never seemed to make much of a difference in my case. Nothing causes me more anxiety. Nothing.

I agree that I am most worried about the interview.

In this day and age being able to make it to the interview stage is a good thing. I mean...with all those email filters that make it hard to pass through unless you lie about your qualifications to pass through the filtering process. Getting a job in the 21st century seems even harder in that respect. At least it has for me. But then my worst consideration is my age. No one wants to hire older people involving benefits. Against the law? Age discrimination happens all the time courtesy of the ACA.

In this day and age being able to make it to the interview stage is a good thing. I mean...with all those email filters that make it hard to pass through unless you lie about your qualifications to pass through the filtering process. Getting a job in the 21st century seems even harder in that respect. At least it has for me. But then my worst consideration is my age. No one wants to hire older people involving benefits. Against the law? Age discrimination happens all the time courtesy of the ACA.
You're right, it is hard to get a job. I'm 22 so I don't think I'd have that problem. My dad is out of work though and is experiencing age discrimination so I feel for you.

New Threads

Top Bottom