• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Walking and other physical activity.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
A couple of weeks ago, I started a new ratio routine. For every hour I spend in front of my television or my computer for recreational purposes, I have to put in 20 minutes of physical activity. So, I have been walking home from work when the weather is nice, which is a seven mile walk. And I have been using my gym membership to compensate for my weekend Xbox binges.

Does anybody else enjoy physical activity? The dopamine hits that I get out of it make it all seem worth it now that my body is starting to get used to it.

I like to hike but after a recent trip to Texas hiking 8-11 miles a day I am sorta burned out on it. May go hiking Friday morning though if the opportunity works out. Used to ride my bike and I need to get back to that as well.

I like to go through towns and cities. I'm trained to walk kilometres without taking a brake.
Nevertheless, my body isn't that improved as I wanted it to be. My strength is below awe awerage and I can't run fast. Furthermore, I'm not able to run more than a few minutes either.
I don't know how I would fix that.

I like to go through towns and cities. I'm trained to walk kilometres without taking a brake.
Nevertheless, my body isn't that improved as I wanted it to be. My strength is below awe awerage and I can't run fast. Furthermore, I'm not able to run more than a few minutes either.
I don't know how I would fix that.
I never could run and don't see it ever happening. It's ok with me because it can be hard on joints and you miss so much when going so fast.

That's a good practice that you've come up with, I used to do something similar when I worked. I really like to be outside, since I was a young child. I'm actually more comfortable in the outdoors, than indoors as long as it's not too cold.

I tend to walk and long distance cycle in the summers, lately as the temperatures have been warmer I've been walking everywhere I possibly can.

That's a good idea.

I used to hear about people telling me to exercise to help with depression, and I used to want to punch those people in the throats. But I was desperate once and tried it, and the effects weren't immediate but I did find a significant easing of my depression after a couple weeks of just walking for 20 minutes a day.

So exercise does seem to help with mood, acecdotally; I'm sure glad I didn't actually punch all those people in the throat.

Yes, I enjoy spending time out in the fresh air when it’s sunny and not too cold.

I’m definitely walking a lot more these days as I need to lost a stone in weight. The other times I’m out is when I’m in psysical contact around strangers’ dogs which I love and giving them doggy treats! This will be my plan for tomorrow. Hoping the weather will stay the same. :smiley:

People get addicted to running because of the endorphins it produces so other forms of exercise must also, but maybe at a slower rate. I think you're rule of 20 minutes of exercise for every hour you spend sitting in front of TV or computer is a great one. Let us know how it goes and if you feel a difference after 2-3 weeks or so.

I drive to and from work, simply because transit access to my work is awful! It's a shop job so it is physical.

I do walk lots on weekends for my photography, I've never clocked how far I walk but I would say that it's a fair bit... Also about to haul out my bike now that spring is here... Single speed, coaster brakes, 1950 vintage bike...

I go out some nights of the week (after work), tonight went to a story telling event...

Last edited:
Yes, i love walking and I use to walk every day, but recently have found it hard to find the motivation - there are people everywhere, stray dogs which make me feel anxious because of previous bad experiences - and I feel I need a purpose rather than walking aimlessly, to go to the supermarket, for example, or to forage for mushrooms.

I like working outdoors better than in the house.
An hour outside goes by so fast when gardening, cleaning up the house or painting and fix up jobs.
An hour of indoor house work is boring to me and find it difficult to do what needs to be done.
Funny thing though, when it comes to walking, like @Progster , I need a motivation to walk. Walking in nature to see what I can find or photograph for example.
Or at a theme park.
Just walking up and down the street for the sake of walking I find boring.
Yet I can do an indoor bicycle machine and not be bored for
20 mins. easily. Especially if it has the screen that tells you how many miles you've gone, heart rate, calories burnt and such.

Frankly I hate most of it.

I'm fine with hiking to a degree, but this is assuming there is somewhere interesting to go. Around my area, there isnt, so I dont bother. There are forest preserves, but they're all terrible. To be expected of the state of Illinois though, or as I call it, Big Stupid Hole In The Ground. If I'm down at the island house though, I'll do it constantly just because the ocean is there. That whole place is perfect.

Any other form of exercise can go screw itself. I dont understand what anyone enjoys about any of it. All I get is more pain. There's certainly no pleasure or satisfaction to be had in it and it's typically very boring. The worst bit is running though. You couldnt pay me to do that. Well, hmmm... maybe a million dollars might get me to CONSIDER the idea. But probably wouldnt get me to actually do it.

And no, I'm not overweight or anything. Never was. But still, I hate all that crap.

Heck, back in high school I used to just refuse to do anything in PE. Couldnt be bothered. Eventually the teacher gave up and I just roamed around the track slowly while everyone else did some stupid sport. I figured, they can go be sweaty and miserable if they want... I'll pass, thanks. Considering that I hated all the other kids anyway (most were bullies or jerks) this worked out pretty well.

Yet I can do an indoor bicycle machine and not be bored for
20 mins. easily. Especially if it has the screen that tells you how many miles you've gone, heart rate, calories burnt and such.
I'd quite like to have an exercise bike - I could put it in my room, and cycle for the duration of one CD, so something like that. Having the statistics, calories burned, etc, is a definite plus.

You could get a pedometer or app that does the same for walking, telling you how many steps you made, how far you went, calories burned, etc, that might be an extra incentive to walk.

I'm pretty much addicted to going for a walk each day. I alternate between downtown, suburbs and the woods and fields.

It’s is science that blood clots (embolisms) can happen for all the sitting most folks do...including the commute to work, and sitting at desk job, and then hours in front of tv. There are several documented cases of video gamers spending 2-3 days in front of the screen, who died of heart attacks. It’s also good to exercise not only for mental stability, and to ease anxiety, depression, and anger issues. Current research says for every hour sitting, get up and stretch/exercise for 10-15 minutes.

I moved to where there are forest preserves all around me. I can walk in the woods, and prairies and get away from people. I quit the job that I drove 3 hours a day round trip to. I choose not to have a tv. I need more exercise now due to extreme pain and spinal stenosis- no matter how excruciating the pain, I have to stretch and walk to create more blood flow to the nerve endings and spine. If I spent too much time online, my neck hurts due to degenerating arthritis.

A couple of weeks ago, I started a new ratio routine. For every hour I spend in front of my television or my computer for recreational purposes, I have to put in 20 minutes of physical activity. So, I have been walking home from work when the weather is nice, which is a seven mile walk. And I have been using my gym membership to compensate for my weekend Xbox binges.

Does anybody else enjoy physical activity? The dopamine hits that I get out of it make it all seem worth it now that my body is starting to get used to it.

Yes I walk all the time. For any reason really. Living in a city makes it easier in a way. It makes me feel good to avoid public transportation like the subway.

Yes I like to walk and I swim a kilometre 2 or 3 times per week it definitely helps with stress and keeps me fitter so I can climb stairs or slopes easily. Had a lovely walk along by the Exe river today plus I wandered a few miles later. I can think very productively as I walk too, and make plans.

I'd quite like to have an exercise bike - I could put it in my room, and cycle for the duration of one CD, so something like that. Having the statistics, calories burned, etc, is a definite plus.

You could get a pedometer or app that does the same for walking, telling you how many steps you made, how far you went, calories burned, etc, that might be an extra incentive to walk.

Exercise bike worked for me. Podcasts but even better 'still game' on Netflix, on a tablet.
Also works with other shows. :)

Exercise bike worked for me. Podcasts but even better 'still game' on Netflix, on a tablet.
Also works with other shows. :)
Watching a show is also a good idea. Don't have Netflix, but I'm sure it will work equally well with YouTube. I should check out this 'Still Game' :)

New Threads

Top Bottom