• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

(Updated) Saving up for a Snazzy Gaming Setup Once I Get a Part-Time Job

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
So, I replaced the NVidia card I listed in my old post with a cheaper AMD equivalent. I am doing this because the price of NVidia's cards are inconsistent due to cryptocurrency miners using mostly NVidia's cards to mine, causing their prices to skyrocket and plummet randomly. For me, sticking with an AMD equivalent of NVidia GPUs whenever I need to upgrade is the best choice for me. I have the updated list below:

-PC BUILD INFO:
--Case: DeepCool ATX Dukase WHV2
--GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB
--Mother Board: GIGABYTE B360M DS3H
--CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
--HDD: WD Blue 1TB or 2TB PC Hard Drive
--SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB WDS500G2B0A
--RAM: GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB)
--CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 4.0GHz 6-core LGA 1151 300 Series 65W

-Monitors
---D. Tablet: Huion KAMVAS GT-191 Drawing Tablet
---1080p Monitor: Acer Gaming Monitor 21.5" KG221Q bmix
---High-speed HDMI: https://amzn. to/2JJYkFD (generic, no-name brand)
---HDMI Splitter: https://amzn. to/2JN4ogE (this one is pretty generic, too)
-(purchase @ same time as upgrading GPU): 1440p Monitor: AOC Agon AG241QX

-PC Peripherals/Pads:
---Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB (x2, maybe just in case?)
---Keyboard: CORSAIR K55 RGB
---Mouse Pad: Seagold aliminum wristpads
---Mouse Wrist Pad: Jelbows Ergonomic Wrist/arm rest

-Laptop: Acer Nitro 5

If any of you PC game, don't be afraid to tell everybody what's in your own setup, or you can even send pictures of it, if you'd like!

I used to have an AMD PC back in my PC gaming days, it was good but crashed a lot.

What about your fans? AMD's are hot.

With that particular case I'm guessing he'd be running at least three 120mm fans. Two in front and one in back. And the Cooler Master CPU heatsink and fan he's listed is top-notch. Same one I use.

But yeah, I prefer Intel and always will.

What about your fans? AMD's are hot.
The CPU cooler IS a fan. However, I don't know if I need one for the GPU. I believe the one I chose was dual-fan. I might just increase the fan speed a bit if I have issues, or maybe take the side off of the case, since the side panel of the case is glass.

With that particular case I'm guessing he'd be running at least three 120mm fans. Two in front and one in back. And the Cooler Master CPU heatsink and fan he's listed is top-notch. Same one I use.

But yeah, I prefer Intel and always will.
Also, I asked Mia this question:
The CPU cooler IS a fan. However, I don't know if I need one for the GPU. I believe the one I chose was dual-fan. I might just increase the fan speed a bit if I have issues, or maybe take the side off of the case, since the side panel of the case is glass.
Can you also answer it if you are able to?

The CPU cooler IS a fan

Yeah I knew it was a fan, but I don't know if it's adequate enough. I've replaced one fan already for my AMD cause they run constantly. It's a gaming laptop right? Which means there will be more internal heat I would think. Also, blasting the heat sink with forced air once a month will help it run well.

Also, I asked Mia this question:

Can you also answer it if you are able to?

With a gaming system you're talking about even more heat in terms of both CPU and GPU cycles. With a separate and powerful gaming video card, you can count on it having a proprietary heatsink and fan(s) of its own.

On top of this, you still want to utilize case fans to suck in air from the front and blow it out the back. However yes, most video card fans draw air from the back onto the card and heatsink. On more exotic cases you may even be able to use fans at the top of the case, designed to suck out heat risking from within the case.

Gaming PC: The more fans, the better. As for leaving the case open, it's not something I recommend given it enhances the possibility of contamination with dust, debris and pet hair. Though it's always a good idea to periodically and carefully clean your computer to keep it as clean as possible.

It's especially nice when you can get a case that allows for filters in the front of the case. Usually very fine mesh screens that may be removable to trap all those contaminants you don't want inside the case.

One huge tip about fans: Always pay attention to their decibel (noise) rating. Look afor any of them with no more than 21dB. Quiet is always better.

With a gaming system you're talking about even more heat in terms of both CPU and GPU cycles. With a separate and powerful gaming video card, you can count on it having a proprietary heatsink and fan(s) of its own.

On top of this, you still want to utilize case fans to suck in air from the front and blow it out the back. However yes, most video card fans draw air from the back onto the card and heatsink. On more exotic cases you may even be able to use fans at the top of the case, designed to suck out heat risking from within the case.

Gaming PC: The more fans, the better. As for leaving the case open, it's not something I recommend given it enhances the possibility of contamination with dust, debris and pet hair. Though it's always a good idea to periodically and carefully clean your computer to keep it as clean as possible.

It's especially nice when you can get a case that allows for filters in the front of the case. Usually very fine mesh screens that may be removable to trap all those contaminants you don't want inside the case.
Oh, okay. Do I have to purchase case fans, or do cases come with included fans?

Yeah I knew it was a fan, but I don't know if it's adequate enough. I've replaced one fan already for my AMD cause they run constantly. It's a gaming laptop right? Which means there will be more internal heat I would think. Also, blasting the heat sink with forced air once a month will help it run well.
No, it isn't a laptop. The parts list at the top is for a desktop PC. The Acer Nitro 5 has a completely different set of parts.

Oh, okay. Do I have to purchase case fans, or do cases come with included fans?

It depends on the case. In my experience, the more elaborate cases that could accommodate many fans usually came with considerably less than the total number that could be accommodated. So you also want to pay close attention to the case specs, as some may utilize multiple fan sizes (in MM) rather than a single fan size.

Another thing to contemplate may be the use of silicone bezels that fit over the fan to help deaden vibration and sound. Not required, but it may help.

I like purchasing fans from Newegg.com, mostly because they usually provide all the specs I need.

Last edited:
No, it isn't a laptop. The parts list at the top is for a desktop PC. The Acer Nitro 5 has a completely different set of parts.

My mistake. If its a desktop that's easier and it likely won't need more than a good fan for the CPU.

It looks as if the Graphics Card you picked is a Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB it's

Equipped with 2x 90mm unique blade fans, 4 pure copper composite heat-pipes, and heat-pipe direct touch GPU, the WINDFORCE 2X cooling system delivers an effective heat dissipation capacity.

So your good as far as I can see.

My mistake. If its a desktop that's easier and it likely won't need more than a good fan for the CPU.

Big gaming case, more airflow required for dispersal and cooling.

Properly vented in front with or without the door being closed. Nice positioning for SSD's directly behind the lowest front fan.

Their website certainly offers a generous amount of pictures to estimate one's needs. Very nice.

DUKASE WHV2 DEEPCOOL- Cases

Last edited:
Wow, very cool so to speak:cool:

Yep, lots of choices when it comes to fans.

"Pre-installed: Rear: 1×120mm blue LED fan; Optional: Front: 2×120mm or 1×140mm Top: 2×120/140mm"

Nice that the case is wide enough to accommodate the really big CPU heatsinks. LOL...on mine you can barely pass a piece of paper between the side of the case and the heatsink.

Last edited:
Nothing can kill a computer in so many ways as can long term poor thermodynamics. It's a primary reason I've avoided a laptop computer altogether.

It doesn't necessarily mean you have to have an excessive number of fans, but rather that the insides of one's computer have adequate airflow for whatever fans and heatsinks that you do have.

It's why you also want to be mindful of how you arrange and manage all the cables inside. Steering clear of any old school wide, flat ribbon cables, which can block airflow. And that your bios isn't indicating any case or cpu temperatures beyond the acceptable limits of your motherboard.

Nothing can kill a computer in so many ways as can long term poor thermodynamics. It's a primary reason I've avoided a laptop computer altogether.

It doesn't necessarily mean you have to have an excessive number of fans, but rather that the insides of one's computer have adequate airflow for whatever fans and heatsinks that you do have.

It's why you also want to be mindful of how you arrange and manage all the cables inside. Steering clear of any old school wide, flat ribbon cables, which can block airflow. And that your bios isn't indicating any case or cpu temperatures beyond the acceptable limits of your motherboard.
Alright, hot it.

New Threads

Top Bottom