• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unusual Phrases or Words?

NicoleAscot

Kira Renèe
Here's the conversation:

Girlfriend walks into room without knocking as I'm dressing. I grab a blanket off the bed to cover me and I blurt out, "Hey! Don't gaze at my nude form!!"

Her: "Honey, that's weird. No one talks like that."

Me: "What do you mean?"

Her: "People don't say "nude form" and stuff like that."

So my question is, do any of you have this issue? I read that some aspies talk different or something like that? I'm kinda confused.

Ohh, I know exactly what you mean, I do this as well.
I mentioned in another thread that I speak very formally, i.e. the way I write on here is exactly the same way I speak IRL. I use a lot of "big words" and the way I speak is quite stiff. I am not sure if this is because English is not my first language or if it is an Aspie trait?

I speak very formally also, my own mother says it sounds like I'm speaking Old English at times. Though, I always put this down to my mutant Hong Kong accent. Is it British, is it Australian, is it Scottish, no one knows! It could be because when one grows up learning four different languages just to be understood it can become a little overwhelming, or it could be an aspie thing. What a mystery!

I speak very formally also, my own mother says it sounds like I'm speaking Old English at times. Though, I always put this down to my mutant Hong Kong accent. Is it British, is it Australian, is it Scottish, no one knows! It could be because when one grows up learning four different languages just to be understood it can become a little overwhelming, or it could be an aspie thing. What a mystery!
No one can place what my accent is either, it's not German, it isn't Danish either, it's noticeable though. It almost sounds like some sort of hybrid Eastern European/Scandinavian accent.
I completely agree with the growing up learning multiple languages bit, that's me as well.
Did you live in many different countries growing up?

I try to be clever a lot of the time and end up speaking in an unorthodox way. One example that comes to mind - we were investigating a software bug in the product I was working on and I mentioned the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" to indicate that we don't know if the bug was caused by me or some part of the system that's beyond my control. It does sound a bit weird retrospectively...

i said to a taxi driver" i have a grade one infection" ,he was slightly confused then i explained
Here's the conversation:

Girlfriend walks into room without knocking as I'm dressing. I grab a blanket off the bed to cover me and I blurt out, "Hey! Don't gaze at my nude form!!"

So my question is, do any of you have this issue? I read that some aspies talk different or something like that? I'm kinda confused.

I have the tendency to use big words and form complicated sentences. I've always done this, I used to be called "the little professor" as well. The kids at school would mock me for my choice of words, but that didn't stop me, I love language.

we are a people from another time
we are definitely different we are a mix of the 14th century (chaucerian English)and 21st century
this is chaucer 'the man of law's tale"Oure Emperour of Rome-God hym see!".
Here's the conversation:

People are always asking me where I am from. I seem to have a hybrid accent that morphs unpredictably. I also talk like a dictionary with lots of large, unusual words.

My mother had a strong Southern accent and used many Southerisms. She was often teased about it, so her solution was to try to improve her vocabulary by using a vocabulary builder in her Reader's Digests. She read them aloud and I listened avidly when I was a toddler. I learned more of it than she did and used the new words in conversations. Adults were often mystified by this. I was in turn surprised that they were making such a big deal of it.

Shortly after I learned to read, I started reading sets of encyclopedias and my vocabulary grew much larger. I started trying to adjust my vocabulary to the person I was speaking to, with mixed success. This did little to stop teasing and harrassment because of my vocabulary, and often complex sentences.

It is somewhat comforting to see that others have shared such experiences.

i remembered the Mynah bird its ability to mimic words our brains must have connections like the speaking bird group parrot ,budgerigar

Yeah... My coworkers constantly have to ask me what a word means. But then again... WHO THE HECK DOESN'T KNOW WHAT IMPUGN MEANS?!?! Maybe my coworkers are just dim.

My husband frequently says "nice word usage" so I'm inclined to believe I mighr be more functionally articulate (my hubby is well read and took high level astrophysics in university, so he gets what I'm saying.

As for my sentence structures, I have been told I speak a little too formal (by family and friends). Many people have also said I frequently form my sentences like Yoda.

No one ever knows where I am from by my accent either. Once a blind mind who said his keen sense of hearing enabled him to tell what area anyone was from guessed Boston. Nope. Never even been there. When in more formal groups I've had a lot of people say Sussex. No again. I've only lived in three areas of US for extended periods of time. My parents were born 10 miles apart in the south. It's like they have their own dictionary for that region.
I see I am not the only one who started reading complicated material early. The first book I was enthralled with was a book on veterinary medicine. It had a lot of anatomical illustrations and informative. I started reading the Encyclopedia at age 10. What few non-fictional books I liked were anything to do with Merlin and the times of King Arthur. Also Homer's Odyssey and the Iliad.
Strange made up words are things like nexies for kleenex, wind-wipers for windshield wipers, nappies for napkins or paper towels. Childish sounding words I call a few things.

The kids at school would mock me for my choice of words

I've been mocked in adulthood too. Apparently I sound posh.

My husband frequently says "nice word usage"

We say this to each other all the time :tearsofjoy: @VenomousAlbino

No one ever knows where I am from by my accent either

People tend to think I am English, which really annoys me because I am Welsh. I don't know many people who have the accent that my city has (it's awful) but most people I know don't sound exactly like me.

My boyfriend is even worse than I am. He just called my boobs "enthralling entities".

Here's the conversation:

know part of talk the hind leg off a donkey ,never fully got that one, heard older women say it in my town but not for a long time

Love love love words! Accused of talking like a dictionary since childhood. Create turns of phrase. Get away with it because I'm a writer.

My attitude is, they are the ones with tiny and imprecise word usage if they complain. These words are in the dictionary, I'm not making them up!

Pretty good at mimicing accents; my own is a kind of cleaned up Midwestern; I no longer say "setch" and "warsh." I say "such" and "wash."

I Love hearing a more formal sort of speech in a conversation. The word usage fits precisely. There can be no misunderstanding of a persons intention or meaning.
Nicole's example "Don't gaze at my nude form" is a succinct instruction not open to any misinterpretation.
It's wonderful.

I have noticed with myself, I will express myself more formally if I'm starting to stress over something or trying to explain my meaning to another who just isn't 'getting it'

I can perhaps disguise my formality of speech because I'm English and live in England. My accent doesn't really fit into my demographic area but I'm generally considered "up myself"
I am happy to let others think I have ideas above my station and I'm snooty, formal and stand offish because that's much easier than explaining I'm probably anxious, can't express myself, having trouble following the conversation and feel like an alien.

I speak using big words too, which sounds really odd because I have a really thick Australian accent. Also, I have a really deep, baritone voice so a lot of people say I sound like a movie narrator. (edit)

New Threads

Top Bottom