• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unusual Phrases or Words?

the first books i remember reading were dictionaries :) i know most of the different nuances of words and speak literally that way using the nuances, i also take people literally, so if they use words incorrectly, i take their usage literally and misunderstand what they mean and get annoyed and frustrated - i find that i try and speak exactly about certain things because it describes exactly what my expectations and limitations are - when i say i'm tired and need to leave at 17:00, that means 17:00 and not 17:01 or 17:02 ....

Yeah, same here. When I was little I used to sit and read the dictionary. People are impressed with my vocabulary, but the frustrating thing is the proper way to construct a sentence. Grammar and punctuation are my weaknesses.

What you said about "limitations and expectations" is also descriptive. When I say I have to do something at a certain time, that means not later, not sooner, but at the time I stated.

Another thing that drives me crazy are "insincere statements." I don't know how to put it, but they are those things people say that they really don't mean. For example, I have a coworker that concludes every conversation with, "Okay, I'll give you a call later." When I first started working with him I would wait until he'd call, which he never did. It really irked me. I've since learned that is his way of putting an exclamation point on the end of the conversation . . . and getting the last word. I don't know why people have to do that, but over the years I have struggled and trained myself to understand (as best as I can) the difference between a sincere statement and an insincere one.

I just cant tell if its sincere or not. I just assume it isn't, perhaps to my detriment.

Gotta love the way Mr. Spock expressed himself. :cool:

Me? I'm just overly verbose much of the time. Guilty as charged. A classic Aspie trait. Deal with it. ;)

I remember how an NT in another forum used to endlessly criticize me for it. Ironic she used to claim she worked as a suicide prevention mental health worker. She'd always tell me how "pompous" I sounded.

Ironically the day I openly posted the thought of being on the spectrum she never said another word to me. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm kind of similar with words but maybe in a slightly different way I guess. I'm very picky about the words I use and need every word to have a clear meaning I can visualize. I refuse to use words I think are misleading in any way, and sometimes have kind of struggled communicating in work or school environments because of it. The result is often actually that I use less descriptive words and describe things rather than risk using more descriptive words in a misleading way. It seems like people can use words loosely and still communicate effectively and I don't understand it.

This is a random example of a word I personally hate for some reason, but in computer science the word 'buffer' can mean a section of memory, often used as an actual buffer when transferring data between different things, but programmers often use it loosely to describe any section of memory. It drives me crazy and I refuse to use the word and I think people have found it annoying. I guess another example at the top of my head is when people describe people as being 'liberal' or 'conservative' in politics. Those words are so meaningless to me in that context and don't helpfully describe at all the groups they are being used on. It drives me crazy just thinking about it aadifoahsgudhauogdash

Last edited:
People are impressed with my vocabulary, but the frustrating thing is the proper way to construct a sentence. Grammar and punctuation are my weaknesses.

I have a hard time with grammar and punctuation too, and on top of that I just have an ok vocabulary. I think almost completely spatially with most things and I'm always more focused on describing concepts as best I can than I am on learning more words and how to properly used them. I guess depending on the person it makes sense that someone with ASD could be abnormally good or poor at using language in different ways.

i cant get used to text speak do i have to answer their way
i DONT want to , DONT like phonetic speak, i was a child of the mid 70s, no computers ,
paper books
i used unite instead of meet ,my mam laughed- still DONT know why
I have a hard time with grammar and punctuation too, and on top of that I just have an ok vocabulary. I think almost completely spatially with most things and I'm always more focused on describing concepts as best I can than I am on learning more words and how to properly used them. I guess depending on the person it makes sense that someone with ASD could be abnormally good or poor at using language in different ways.
i

Every time I learn a new word I feel like I've found a treasure. Then, if I find it again, I feel proud of myself for knowing the meaning.
I usually adapt the way I talk to the person that I'm talking to.

do you use any other words for mother apart from mom
there are five in English English
Every time I learn a new word I feel like I've found a treasure. Then, if I find it again, I feel proud of myself for knowing the meaning.

I started trying to adjust my vocabulary to the person I was speaking to, with mixed success. This did little to stop teasing and harrassment because of my vocabulary, and often complex sentences.

Same. I try to sort through the words in my head to see whether I can find words that are a bit more casual. "Therefore" becomes "so", "irk" becomes "annoy", and so on. I must have gotten my default vocabulary from my favorite fantasy novels.

Sometimes I wish I was born a little earlier, maybe around the time dental care evolved enough to scrap mallets and crude pliers (the stuff of nightmares). That way, there would be less slang words to learn about. I've never been fond of using them, and almost never do, so I'm left out of friendly banter.

Another thing that drives me crazy are "insincere statements." I don't know how to put it, but they are those things people say that they really don't mean. For example, I have a coworker that concludes every conversation with, "Okay, I'll give you a call later." When I first started working with him I would wait until he'd call, which he never did. It really irked me. I've since learned that is his way of putting an exclamation point on the end of the conversation . . . and getting the last word. I don't know why people have to do that, but over the years I have struggled and trained myself to understand (as best as I can) the difference between a sincere statement and an insincere one.

Oh I struggle with this too. When it's about something I'm anxious about, I'm particularly prone to believing people when they say they'll call. Service reps are notorious for this, so I ask their name and try to make them commit to a time they'll call back. This strategy doesn't apply to certain situations though, so I just try to be busy with other things while waiting.

i cant get used to text speak do i have to answer their way
i DONT want to , DONT like phonetic speak, i was a child of the mid 70s, no computers ,
paper books
i used unite instead of meet ,my mam laughed- still DONT know why

i

I write texts in proper sentences then go over them to remove some letters...which is silly and tedious, I know, but I've found the people around me respond to it better.

---------

My husband also has the same tendencies. He wrote "with bated breath" on an e-mail to a girl before, which we both poke fun at every now and then.

In the end, it's all about being a chameleon, mimicking others and giving as concise of a verbal statement as possible. Filtering is something I need to do conscienciously...which is why I really appreciate being on this forum. I feel as though my mind can relax. :)

Sometimes my mouth moves faster than my brain can keep up with so if my brain can't come up with the proper word I just substitute it with the first word that pops up in my brain.

I love to make up English words and any such words out of the ordinary.. I am thinking of expressions like

figurageous fumble-dumble and dimmlitted dimble-fimble,
alongside a funkbunkling fopdoddle and a beastly bedszwervle
hasty husslebussle with whoopy whiffle-whaffle, flotterasty flittmosity, wunkshwart und wonderprising
scobblelotchers and shlibbleduckers, kippkurrzing kubberbukker and shnikshnovelling Shnizzwarts
of course whangdoodles and hornswogglers, snozzwangers and snozzberries

@Jimbo : yes I atine's'peek soquicky that I mixalotta words inanother =) While this is a joke but actually true for me for when making conversation in English - mother tongue is German - with which I cannot speak as quick as I do, I enmesh many words so that some disappear altogether and to other words I add a varying pronounciation of no particular nationality - and I tend to absorb my current sorroundings and my conversational partner in a nerdy need to mirror-imitate these, as if I were overreactive in adapative mannierisms. this is really a bit weird in outcome sometimes, but many people enjoy being with me when I am making fun - for I make up meaningless nonsense all times, and I love to do that with words.

I think in my case this may have to do with my perceptional functioning: I lack taking in any meaning, or my brain does not automatically add a meaning if I do not want it to. I take in large amounts of rather raw and universal information of all kinds, but while I may add any sense to it, I never add common sense. I do not have common sense, since I am professionalunatistic =)

In matters that matter I take a liking to little details in variation of words and their interaction with one another, each in different ways for if written or if spoken. I often choose a way of arrangement other than that apparent, which I think I enjoy because of its refreshing other-than-usual-sound - it stimmulates me.

Last edited:
Does anyone here ever say "dough" to mean money? IDK I just like saying it - e.g. "I don't have enough dough".

Does anyone here ever say "dough" to mean money? IDK I just like saying it - e.g. "I don't have enough dough".
I've never used that one, though my dad called it "cheddar" sometimes and would say "I'm making bank." When he learned to speak English he adapted to all the slang words, somewhat to his own detriment in social situations.

happy birthday shalom yom tov
I've never used that one, though my dad called it "cheddar" sometimes and would say "I'm making bank." When he learned to speak English he adapted to all the slang words, somewhat to his own detriment in social situations.

My accent is a bit strange while I will sound Australian most of the time I will also have people think I'm from the UK,I have even had some people ask what country I am from and once I even had a counsellor who was from the uk ask me what part of England I'm from.

their ears arent sensitive
My accent is a bit strange while I will sound Australian most of the time I will also have people think I'm from the UK,I have even had some people ask what country I am from and once I even had a counsellor who was from the uk ask me what part of England I'm from.

their ears arent sensitive
I don't think that can be true of the UK counsellor. They (you) have hundreds of accents and can tell where someone comes from a lot. I have sat and listened to a couple of women tracking down each other's accents. They were able to get it down to a six mile radius and discover that one had an aunt who was a friend of the other one. It was fascinating.

I don't think that can be true of the UK counsellor. They (you) have hundreds of accents and can tell where someone comes from a lot. I have sat and listened to a couple of women tracking down each other's accents. They were able to get it down to a six mile radius and discover that one had an aunt who was a friend of the other one. It was fascinating.
no it depends on the person Scottish acccents still flummox me
my hearing is damaged from an infection

New Threads

Top Bottom