• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unusual gait

I,to this day keep three pairs of identical work boots in rotation. Two pairs are kept for work rotation to allow the insides to dry completely,while one pair are "dress boots" that are worn just to break them in.

When the shabbiest pair is ready for retirement,they get tossed and get replaced by my dress ones.

exactly!

I also tend to shuffle and also stumble a lot (due to the fact the pavements where I live are very uneven and I don't pick my feet up enough). I have a slight limp also, but that's due to a damaged ligament in my ankle which never healed properly. I used to wear through the heels of shoes more than I do these days because I started getting bad heel pain and had to retrain myself to walk more evenly on my feet.

I trip, stumble, bump into stuff all the time... I think I look like a drunk man sometimes.
Uneven ground is the work of the devil...
I have to blame it on someone... : )

I trip, stumble, bump into stuff all the time... I think I look like a drunk man sometimes.
Uneven ground is the work of the devil...
I have to blame it on someone... : )
Exactly :D I think here it can be blamed on the paving stones not being replaced in many, many years so they're all wonky and broken in places - some have historical value though!

I've noticed that I tend to drift to one side as I walk and so bump my shoulder against door frames or got myself snagged on things (usually at the supermarket or work), I'm better if there are people around me (as on a city street) so I've hardly ever bumped into anyone, its just inanimate objects I collide with (I put this more to my Dyspraxia than my Aspergers). I've looked at my footprints and they go in an wavy or slight zig-zag pattern as if I were slightly drunk.

As a child, countless times I've been told I'm stiff as a board. I'm also knock-kneed, so I walk like a duck. Apparently I walk like my dad, like a man.

In recent years, I've had to concentrate on walking with my feet straight after I started limping a few years ago. It wasn't a slight limp, and in mere months I was dragging my right leg and lumbering. When my pilates teacher realigned everything, she said because my left leg is shorter and weaker than my right, my pelvis had dipped and rotated to the right.

When I told my elder sister (we live in different countries), she said it's because our mother used to have me sitting on the toilet for hours on end when I was little.

I also have been told I have a distinctive walk. When I was a kid I was told not to drag my feet, as it drove them nuts. As a teen I was a cadet for a couple years which many km were marched. As an adult I never drag my feet. I remember on one construction site my crew mates told me they could tell when I'm close by (but not in sight). My step had absolutely no scrape sound and just the soft tap of my boot touching the floor with each step. It made me aware of how others walk on the construction site in work boots. Nearly all of them would scrape their boots even if just a little bit, and some amplified by their pants wooshing together (probably the more overweight guys). I later worked with a guy who was also a former cadet. We listened to a worker heavily drag his feet across a parking garage floor. My coworker said "I didn't know they started making boots out of lead." He went on to say that it absolutely screams lazy when you shuffle around sounding like that. Like myself he was also conditioned to not drag his feet whatsoever.

My ex a few times babbled on about how I wear my boots out quicker than normal because I drag my feet when I walk. That angered me because it's so blatantly wrong but she stuck to her guns and swears it to the death. It was probably just a tactic to try and get under my skin and beat me down a notch lower. I got used to my personal policy of putting zero value in the word of someone I believe is psychotic.

Yes, I have an unusual gait. It was only slightly off when I was younger. Now that I'm older I've developed some mental health problems that are being treated with medication and the medication makes my unusual gait worse.

I've been told I have a slightly off normal gait. Also, I am at times, clumsy, and therefore bump into stuff.

New Threads

Top Bottom