• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Understanding Internship communication issues

Sorry but this Autistic gal said hello to everyone else, she then ignored me (as in completely blanked me as if I wasn’t there) when I said hello to her. Not once did this gal make eye contact with me, reach out to me or try to talk to me.

How can you possibly say that this is down to Aspergers when she spoke to the others and chose to ignore me? This after giving a presentation to 50 people. So obviously not socially anxious.

Not once did this gal make eye contact with me
People with ASD are known to find eye contact difficult. Did she make eye contact with the others?
How can you possibly say that this is down to Aspergers when she spoke to the others and chose to ignore me?
Perhaps she didn't realise that she was ignoring you, not doing it on purpose? That's happened to me - I was accused of ignoring someone when I hadn't intended to.
Why are you sorry? You don't need to apologise for an opinion.

This after giving a presentation to 50 people. So obviously not socially anxious.
Giving a presentation and being social anxious are not mutually exclusive.

If she was deliberately and specifically ignoring you (which I doubt, there are many more reasonable explanations and I suspect your perspective on this may be very skewed) the only explanation is that you had done something to make her want to avoid you. Maybe she had heard negative talk about you from other people and decided you were someone to avoid. Maybe something about your body language, words or mannerisms put her off. Since it seems you were hyper aware of her behaviour maybe you were staring at her, which I can say from experience comes across as very creepy.

I have to say that in my experience the autistic men I've met all either annoyed me or gave me the creeps (sorry guys, I'm sure you're lovely) often before I even have had a conversation with them. It's very rare that I can pinpoint a reason for this, it's just something about their mannerisms which I suppose I pick up subconsciously.

People can pick up on the energy of other people. Not in a mystical way, in a "the brain is amazing and picks up on thousands of subtle cues we don't consciously recognize" kind of way. Based on all of your posts here, your energy is extraordinarily negative. This pattern will continue in your life until that's changed, which involves primarily a changing of attitude, which is why "gratitude" is mentioned by two or more people in every thread you make.

New Threads

Top Bottom