• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Types of Therapy?

Fluttershy

Hi again.
I created a thread recently about medication, but obviously I want to do therapy and see where that gets me first.
I was wondering what kind of therapists/therapy is working for everyone (and not working I suppose). I can look up therapists on my insurance's website and look up therapists who treat autistic individuals and are LGBT friendly, but I was more curious as to what approach works. There's one clinic that is "humanistic." There's a lot of cognitive behavioral therapists. I'm trying to manage the secondhand affects basically, stress and anxiety and obsessive traits. I get so stuck in my own head.

I had one therapist I really liked in high school who was actually a social worker and she did meditation and such, and I tried to track her down and see if she sees adults. I guess she works under an insurance company now that is not the insurance I'm on. :(

CBT is supposed to be quite friendly towards autistics since it's looks at things objectively, using facts. I've used it for anxiety, and I learnt a few helpful things including coping strategies.

Tony Attwood mentions in his book that traditional psychotherapy offers little to autistic individuals.

New Threads

Top Bottom