• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Twitter, what do you think of it?

epath13

the Fool.The Magician.The...
V.I.P Member
Do you use twitter? I feel I will have to use it. That's just a feeling I get. I could come up with lots of pros and cons, but I would only need it to prove or disprove some theory that I can't really grasp...
To me using Twitter seems like sitting in a large crowd and screaming, if you scream loud enough - people will hear you... Do you use it for... any kind of purpose? Does it help you in any way? I have 2... I believe... I might have more :) main accounts. One is under my artist name/ alias, another is under Autism website name.... I barely post anything. But it might change. My Autism website/ blog is done, so I can start posting new articles and share overcoming challenges experience. My new giant artist website should be completely done by the beginning of September. Even though not all pages are properly describes it's already online. I feel twitter can help me to have some sort of an ongoing conversation with public but I'm not sure if I want to have the conversation... at one hand it seems I trust people too much, at the other hand - not at all... at one hand I feel my voice is too weak, but at the other hand a possibility of it sounding loudly makes me nervous. It's not just about twitter obviously, but I'm going to stick to the subject :)

I use Twitter to follow people, but I rarely ever tweet. I follow people related to my interests, not really people I know personally.

I joined Twitter to try to shame a company into refunding an overcharge they wrongly took from me. Stayed on to chat with an old friend since that's the only medium they use these days. The thing I hate most about Twitter is the character limit. Barely a dozen words and then you get some nasty red letters popping up saying that you talk too much.

I am on Twitter although I never post. It is useful for keeping an eye on things I am interested in such as SETI or NASA.

I've got an account, but honestly, I don't have time for it. Too many interesting people, but nothing really going anywhere. If I were doing something professional that had a lot of real-time updates, I'd use it a lot more. It's essential for marketing communications and social influence monitoring, at least places I've been, along with blogging and customer engagement.

Twitter is useful in some respects as a collective we can share ideas with each other. I have also found that news breaks first on Twitter now a days as everyone has a mobile. Personally thought I find it's ok it's like failbook but less child like drama plus I met what's now my wife on Twitter so can't complain

I follow a lot of communications on twitter that are from less than official sources, but still very legitimate. Twitter is really the place to be if you want to know what is going on with a lot of things and get an idea of what "people in general" are thinking/feeling/saying about a certain topic. Even if it's "people in general" of a certain demographic.

So I follow some accounts about/having to do with mental health, advocacy, autism, art, boston and making fun of the MBTA. I also actually follow NIH, NIMH, NHS, the official MBTA site, Autism Speaks and others. Like slate and the onion, stephen fry and neil gaiman. Aspies Central. :D

It tends to give me a lot to think about and brings me into interesting discussions. Occasionally totally random people follow me and occasionally I get a thousand people responding to me or something.

One of the things I've found about twitter that I like- and it could just be the topics I follow and discuss- is that unlike facebook, people aren't entirely freaked out if you join in on their conversation. That's kind of the point.

I drop in and out of twitter and it doesn't seem to negatively affect my experience at all.
I also can just entirely block people if I'm really troubled by them.

You're lucky. I don't have that happen.

It's not all the time or anything.
But... I tend to randomly have that happen. I think I say kind of controversial things, maybe.
it's happened in various places. I still have people "liking" and commenting on an article I comented on like 6 months ago which is connected to my facebook, so I still get notifications. I would turn it off, but if I do that, it shuts off the entire platform that connects me to any commenting off site. Last I checked it was hundreds and hundreds of responses, tags and "likes".

I haven't gone back because i'm really not sure how to deal with that.

ETA: Uh. That's not bragging or anything. It just kind of is sorry.

I recently got addicted to the various hashtag games. It's also a great way to share unique jokes and to attract more readers to my blog and videos.

I guess it could, but twitter seem very confusing and annoying to me. I seem to find more interesting information on twitter, than in other places, but it still stresses me out. I wish it didn't but it does. :/ it stresses me out as much as Nickelodeon or Disney channel: too many images, too much movement, too noisy. Does it make semse? Twitter reminds me of a crowd more than other popular social channels...

Everyone has their Achille's heal. Twitter just may not be for you. Or maybe someone needs to develop a social media designed for people with sensory issues.

New Threads

Top Bottom