• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Turned down again

Robby

Well I received a call from Amazon today informing me that sorry but your application came back as a do not hire. I applied with them 3 years ago but due to a sudden death in the family I was unable to go for my start date. But fast forward 3 years they are not going to hire me because of that? I think it's some discriminatory thing. Do NOT bother with Amazon if you're seeking employment. I took the customer service test and passed it and they emailed me an offer. But to call me two weeks before my start date and tell me they don't want me after all? Thats crap. I'm beginning to think this is some conspiracy to not hire me. I applied for a lowly page position at a public library branch, and they called me in for an interview, but turned me down. A 7.50 an hour page position. I don't know where to turn any more. Everyone talks about how great the economy is but how are you supposed to get hired if you are autistic and don't like being around many people and have no work experience at age 33? My depression is becoming unbearable. If I could just have a normal existence and earn a little money and gain some confidence, but nobody apparently wants me. I dress nicely, am polite, and courteous, and well spoken, so what the hell is wrong with me? I can't take much more of this.

I'm not saying this will necessarily work for you, but what I did? I applied for social security, and used those benefits, and time, to work on myself, get my mental health in a better place (therapy, medication, etc.). I was in the midst of a terrible depression, unable to hold down a job.

Applying for social security, of course, is a HUGE pain in the ass, and you really need to find someone to help you in the process (and I don't mean just a lawyer...I mean someone who can hold your hand through the entire ordeal). I'm hesitant to suggest that, but it may be what you need at this point, based on everything you've posted here.

Well I received a call from Amazon today informing me that sorry but your application came back as a do not hire. I applied with them 3 years ago but due to a sudden death in the family I was unable to go for my start date. But fast forward 3 years they are not going to hire me because of that? I think it's some discriminatory thing. Do NOT bother with Amazon if you're seeking employment. I took the customer service test and passed it and they emailed me an offer. But to call me two weeks before my start date and tell me they don't want me after all? Thats crap. I'm beginning to think this is some conspiracy to not hire me. I applied for a lowly page position at a public library branch, and they called me in for an interview, but turned me down. A 7.50 an hour page position. I don't know where to turn any more. Everyone talks about how great the economy is but how are you supposed to get hired if you are autistic and don't like being around many people and have no work experience at age 33? My depression is becoming unbearable. If I could just have a normal existence and earn a little money and gain some confidence, but nobody apparently wants me. I dress nicely, am polite, and courteous, and well spoken, so what the hell is wrong with me? I can't take much more of this.
It's the norm to have to apply to many many many jobs, and be interviewed by many before finally being hired. Yes, it's lousy. But it's the same for almost everybody.

You never have the job until you arrive on the first day and sign the papers.

They may have found someone more accommodating to them.
Or they may have decided not to hire you in the end.
Companies pull all sorts of shady things these days.

Not many people talk about how good the economy is, unless you live on the West Coast or East Coast.
The country as a whole is experiencing a weak recovery that isn't producing many decent paying jobs.

Depending on how you calculate the U.S. unemployment rate, will determine what the number actually reads.
The official number is 5.3% based on the sampling of 60,000 adults.
Now for the odd parts:
  • If you leave the workforce due to an illness, family issue, disability or something of that nature, it counts as voluntarily leaving the workforce (you're not counted as unemployed).
  • If you working part time job(s) and/or unemployed, you're just counted as employed.
  • If are forced to work hand/side jobs for menial pay, that is also counted as employed.
  • If you are doing volunteer work (even if it is because you land a paying job), you are counted as employed.
  • If you are within 3+ years of college graduation and haven't been able to land any job, you aren't counted as unemployed.
The REAL unemployment rate is supposed to be still over 10% instead of 5.3% reported.
The unemployment rate for recent and new college graduates is believed to be over 20%+, with most graduates taking up to 2+ years to land any form of unemployment.
The unemployment rate for under 35, is believed to be over 10%+

Depending on how you calculate the U.S. unemployment rate, will determine what the number actually reads.
The official number is 5.3% based on the sampling of 60,000 adults.
Now for the odd parts:
  • If you leave the workforce due to an illness, family issue, disability or something of that nature, it counts as voluntarily leaving the workforce (you're not counted as unemployed).
  • If you working part time job(s) and/or unemployed, you're just counted as employed.
  • If are forced to work hand/side jobs for menial pay, that is also counted as employed.
  • If you are doing volunteer work (even if it is because you land a paying job), you are counted as employed.
  • If you are within 3+ years of college graduation and haven't been able to land any job, you aren't counted as unemployed.
The REAL unemployment rate is supposed to be still over 10% instead of 5.3% reported.
The unemployment rate for recent and new college graduates is believed to be over 20%+, with most graduates taking up to 2+ years to land any form of unemployment.
The unemployment rate for under 35, is believed to be over 10%+

That's not exclusive to the US to be that creative with numbers. I hear and read all about it in Western european countries as well, when it comes to what they considered to unemployed.

That's not exclusive to the US to be that creative with numbers. I hear and read all about it in Western european countries as well, when it comes to what they considered to unemployed.
I know that.
I was responding to his claim that the U.S. economy is "great"!

I just don't even care any more. I've tried for 4 years. I just don't fit in anywhere. I can't hold my head up and be proud of anything. I have nothing to be proud of. I drive an old car, have an old car, and am depressed all the time because I'm too scared to take anti depressants. By every measure I'm a failure. And I hate the way I look. I have low self esteem because I was constantly picked on and teased in school. I just don't care anymore.

Great economy?

Small wonder how the our Federal Reserve just decided NOT to raise interest rates, given the precarious nature of the global market and how inherently contagious it is to our own domestic markets.

Yes, most people have jobs with around an alleged six percent unemployment, but are they really sufficient to even live on? Meanwhile my rent just went up 18% while wages and incomes in general seem nearly flat. I have only my own resources to rely on in surviving in this world. My back is against the wall.

That all said, with all those recent former Amazon employees negatively commenting on their employer I'm not so sure this would be anything less than a toxic environment for most anyone- on or off the spectrum to work in.

Amazon turned me down because I couldn't go to their stupid interview because my aunt passed away and I had to go to her funeral, so even though I passed the online assessment with flying colors, they still would not hire me based on me not showing up to their interview 3 years ago. Well fine, they can keep their stupid job. The idea of working in a call center with people squawking in my ear 12 hours a day doesn't sound appealing anyway.

Most so-called jobs now that are hiring are low-level, non-union, dead-end high-turnover jobs. Everyone there is just a number, no benefits, no worker protections, no nothing. I simply cannot work in a job where there is much person to person contact. I have major problems with focusing as it is and I get flustered with too many people around. I need a job where there is minimal contact. Problem is that when it comes to assembly line jobs, I am terrible at putting things together and technical things. My strengths are writing and creative.

Most easy to get jobs today are barely sufficient to live on. Politicians busted up the unions and made unions a dirty word, so now it's kind of like it was in the 1920s, unions have less power than they ever did. Jobs like Amazon, Toyota, Walmart, if you utter the word union, they'll fire you in nothing flat.

I guess I'll have to end up going to a stupid staffing agency again, and hope they can find me something. I've gone to numerous ones before, and none ever found me a job. So I'm pessimistic. I have skills and qualities to offer, but I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to clean toilets and being treated poorly by some supervisor who's probably dumber than me.

And to the person who suggested applying for social security, that's a non-starter. I wouldn't qualify. Because I am 33, not 63, and because I have never worked before so I could not qualify. You pay in to social security, right? So because I've never had a job or worked, that wouldn't work. So yea. I'm depressed with absolutely no idea about how or where to obtain job and life skillls for how to be independent.

What are some decent-paying, easy to get, non-experience required jobs for an aspie like me who is excellent with organization, and working alone, and has very strong writing and verbal skills, but a severe disability in math and technical ability? I can't work around others much, that's too high pressure for me, I prefer to work alone in a low pressure setting. And I can't do anything with any public interaction or math.

Have you ever considered attempting to solicit job counseling services? I did so in a very bad economy with the University of California system back in the 70s. They never steered me towards actual job placement. However they tested me to determine where my true aptitude was relative to the actual job market at the time. Some are free, some are not.

What happened was that I became exposed to all kinds of jobs that I was totally unaware of. One which was an insurance underwriter. (Not suggesting that in your case.) Of course it never took into consideration my social skills as someone on the spectrum, but it did steer me towards looking into employment that allegedly might be "a good fit". That's how I ended up in a lengthy career although it was still a struggle for me socially in any number of ways.

The point though is that this particular program at the time took me individually into consideration in terms of the job I might be best qualified- and likely to find.

Last edited:
Yea I've done that. They wanted me to work at a nursing home for a 95-hour initial program, where I would have been paid 6.25 an hour. Upon completing that, they offered me no guarantee of regular employment. And the director of the nursing home that they referred me to looked at me like I was an insect, I got very strange vibes from her. I've been going to Vocational Rehab for almost two years. I still have no job. And no prospects. They did testing on me which confirmed I am autistic. Duh. My case worker never checks up on me. At first I was going to do barber school through the voc school, but I quickly realized I can't do that. Too much scrutiny and interaction. A few months ago I went to the employment training orientation class there, and everyone was severely mentally handicapped. I felt totally out of place

I then went to the nursing home they wanted me to work at. The lady there seemed extremely odd, like I was wasting her time or something. I got bad vibes. So of course I chickened out at the last minute before I was supposed to start. I mean, being paid 6.25 an hour is ridiculous even for a vocational program. So here I am. Unemployed as usual. Really, a waste of space.

Hi, Robby. You may have already considered this and decided against it but have you considered starting a blog as a way to get into writing? My sister is doing that but not very good at coming up with topics to write about except for old movie discussions for her blog. Probably not a helpful idea, I just thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm a teacher's aide for an autism classroom and I love it. I don't care for a lot of my coworkers but I love the kids and it's super rewarding. It's also nice to be off for holidays and summer. I only work 6.25 hours a day as well. I struggle with finances but it's so much better than any other job I've had. Before I was in the autism classroom I worked with special needs adults, that was rewarding as well.

Robby I also got a thanks but no thanks this week from a potential employer. Turns out the security job that I thought I had in the bag was anything but. I'm going to pursue job coaching and training. I used to be skeptical of it and think it would be a huge waste of time but I've come to realize that I must put aside any pride and skepticism and just do it. It's not the end of the world and this too shall pass. The 6.25 an hour training wage is a chance for you to evaluate the job and for them to evaluate you. Look at it from that angle. Sure there are no guarantees of a job afterwards but if you just do a decent job, they've got little or no reason not to retain you. You don't have to light the place on fire, just give them a good, honest job.

You could also volunteer for a cause that you are passionate about. That will help you build work experience and many employers like to see civic-minded employees. Since I'm not employed, I'm going to volunteer at PAWS (Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society.) I'm a feline fanatic so I will be volunteering at one of their Cat Adoption Centers. One nice thing about working with animals is that you get loved unconditionally. The center that I will be volunteering at is unique because the cats are not in cages - they are in medium sized closed rooms where they are free to sleep, explore, or sun themselves. If you want to play or interact with the cats, you just enter the room and several will probably greet you.

You could also volunteer for a cause that you are passionate about. That will help you build work experience and many employers like to see civic-minded employees. Since I'm not employed, I'm going to volunteer at PAWS (Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society.) I'm a feline fanatic so I will be volunteering at one of their Cat Adoption Centers. One nice thing about working with animals is that you get loved unconditionally. The center that I will be volunteering at is unique because the cats are not in cages - they are in medium sized closed rooms where they are free to sleep, explore, or sun themselves. If you want to play or interact with the cats, you just enter the room and several will probably greet you.
That isn't any better.

Even most volunteer positions have as many qualifications attached to them as a job would these days (I've looked.)

Most organizations won't turn down a willing volunteer. Turning down a volunteer for reasons other than a criminal background would be incredibly poor form.

Most organizations won't turn down a willing volunteer. Turning down a volunteer for reasons other than a criminal background would be incredibly poor form.
It has nothing to do with form.
They want people who are experienced in what they are doing.
They don't want some noob they have to train either.

I have looked at volunteer work, even one of the libraries I applied at wanted 2 years of INDUSTRY Experience for a tech internship (a few years ago).

Goodwill is looking for people with X years of industry experience to help them marketing, IT, websites, etc....

New Threads

Top Bottom