• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Todays Aspies vs. Yesterdays Aspies

2010Dolby

V.I.P Member
Kinda been thinking about this at work today. The last 50 years have been a massive step forward with long-distance connection and technology overall. Cell phones, internet, satellites. It's almost impossible to "escape". One of my biggest AS traits is that I can be a social butterfly in short spans of time but I NEED to get away and be by myself very often. Cell phones make that somewhat difficult to do, and there's countless more examples for other scenarios with current technology.

Do you think aspies 50 years ago had an easier time being themselves or no difference?

Hummm that is a good question there Dolby. I would think that there are differences. But I think too it depends on how one is raised too. I mean they didn't have all the things we have now or the advantages either. I guess we take the good with the bad. I find I tend to be a bit solitary unless I am doing something with people who are into the same thing I am (so ie dollies, books, internet). Maybe they had an easier time withdrawing from the world than we do today. just by the technological advances.

I'm fairly certain if they were not able to capitalize on their strengths enough to offset the less tolerable traits they were even more so shunned, or institutionalized. Both my grandfathers exhibited signs of AS, one self medicated with alcohol and gambling but the world saw him as a likeable guy, he always had an angle going to put food on the table for a wife and 10 kids but basically died at 65 doing a job that would wear out a strong 25 year old. The other on my mom's side developed PTSD in the Marines, they told him he was faking it. In and out of state hospitals, got hired at Douglas to design the DC-8, took a job as groundskeeper for the school district in Stockton, came back to build bombs at Lockheed. Did better than average financially but lived like a monk, they found literally $100,000sss stashed in various places in the house, some of his aspie patterns I see in 1 cousin especially with the art obsession. I seem to take on the reading trait and the gardening Mr. Fixit, and holding onto objects past their service life. I remember avowing what kind of weirdo gets their shoes from a thrift store and yet there I am, locked into the process

When you think about it we are actually quite an isolated society compared to the olden times, although we do have more technology that forces us to keep in touch, no one really speaks to each other face to face anymore. However I guess that in its self can be problematic, well its sometimes difficult to understand people through a computer screen, there's much that could be misunderstood. Also I don't necessarily think that aspies would have been understood back then, it had only just really been discovered, plus in our 'accepting' society that we live in now no one understands Aspergers, personally everyone who knows thinks that i'm just being weird and that some how I'm just using it as an excuse for being difficult, my friend even said 'Oh well I must have it, i'm awkward'. I do understand where you're coming from with not being able to escape, it's like I also feel frustrated because I can't escape from myself nether mind other people. Fortunately for me i'm not important enough for someone to text me all the time so it's all good haha.

Turn your phone off dolby...problem solved ;)

I think it's hard to know who has it worst those who lived in the age before technology or us now. I think probably yesterday's aspie's had it worse(particularly because most went undiagnosed). How many people have come across asperger's think they've found the answer to why they are so different and gotten a diagnosis because of the internet? There is so much support online for aspie's, what did aspie's do before the net? Who did they talk to get support from etc?

The internet also enables someone with poor social skills to have somewhat of a social life even if it's just online. I have 0 friends but if I want to chat about anything or just want to read what someone's up to I can log on to a forum and not feel so lonely and isolated. How many people(not just aspie's) would still be single if it weren't for the net, I wouldn't have met my husband (and most of my boyfriends) if it were not for the net.

It enables someone who finds real life hard to effectively do most things other people do, if you can't handle going to a supermarket you can shop online, can't face uni/college? online course. A job in a workplace may be too much for someone(sensory or social reasons) but there are lots of things you can do from home to make money.

And if we want to be alone again all we have to do is turn everything off :)

I feel it's a bit of tie-in on a thread I started earlier, where I stated that there's too much obligations to be part of society. This one.

This thread, in a way, is one of the examples of it I think.

I think it's at least quite hard to disconnect yourself entirely and not feel more handicapped over it. A lot of stuff is geared towards the internet (and years ago calling some place). How many commercials on tv do you see that do not advertise a website?

I think the best thing about the internet and how we use it is because it's quite anonymous towards most services and users (in general I'd say you still have to have some skills to search for IP adresses, location, identity and all) and as such an email can get out even if it's written weird, bad or quirky. People will usually respond to it, and you're not exposed to a weird look or laugh at once. It takes away some awkwardness of social interaction. Also; and this is something that's, at least for me personal, a case; I sometimes have a hard time getting my point across when talking, but I can make out a good order and good arguments when I'm writing. Thus my emails are way clearer than my phonecalls or face to face conversations, especially in formal cases like a job center, social services and what have you. I can talk, and usually I can talk quite good, but it takes a lot of patience for listeners because a lot of my talking goes of in weird orders, thus it sounds as if I'm rambling non-sensical stuff. That's probably how my ADHD contributes to my thinking process, while on paper (or screen) I can organize it a bit more, without making people think I'm a raving madman or "slow" because I need to take my time in sorting out the words in conversation.

But the question; did aspies have it easier 50 years ago? I think there's more to it than just "well, we now have the internet". The way of diagnosis was different, and even... and that's what I was talking about with my parents. Now people think I'm weird and I should see a therapist because I'm a difficult person, 40 years ago, having and holding a job was a different deal. There were not extensive screening procedures, it just was "be on time, do your job". Now you're pretty much being screened against a personality type grid (might be an exageration; but it's more than... come in tomorrow; there is a lot of screening going on now). Diagnosis probably was different as well. But so were regulations to get admitted to a psychiatric ward.

So back to my thread a bit and referencing this thread; is there too much strain upon us now? Even from a population standpoint, if you can't stand crowds, you're more and more facing a problem, espcially since everywhere you go it's crowded, and the population in general is still growing. No, that's not a change of the past 50 years, more so, 100 years... but those were times where people weren't even diagnosed with autism that much.

Also; 50 years ago, what did people do to enjoy themselves? And how much impulses did society give them to "get out there". While I believe there were stereotypes on how to behave as a person, now it's a caricature of itself due to commercials and reality tv. And with that comes the question; were people in general more "toned down" 50 years ago so the differences between social inept people weren't that visible?

Turn your phone off dolby...problem solved ;)

And if we want to be alone again all we have to do is turn everything off :)

That works... iffffff... there's not one service or obligation you might have. I recall a friend of mine getting into trouble for not having his phone on 24/7 just in case his boss needed him... and his boss used to call him quite a lot after shifts for work related stuff. So he even got in trouble for wanting to disconnect.

It enables someone who finds real life hard to effectively do most things other people do, if you can't handle going to a supermarket you can shop online, can't face uni/college? online course. A job in a workplace may be too much for someone(sensory or social reasons) but there are lots of things you can do from home to make money.

Exactly this is what I was doing last year, and when I told my therapist about it (and that was pre-diagnosis; and even before he even thought about me having aspergers) he almost diagnosed me with a internet addiction because I did a lot of stuff online, ranging from shopping to socializing and getting my fix in regards to movies, books and music.

I ended up in an argument with him telling him he's an old fart (he was in his 50's already; no offense to older members, but he just seemed really conservative and it matched his age quit a bit) and that in this day and age people use the internet for more than just email.

Also, I can see how working from home, instead of an office is one of the ways that actually would work for me.

The internet also enables someone with poor social skills to have somewhat of a social life even if it's just online. I have 0 friends but if I want to chat about anything or just want to read what someone's up to I can log on to a forum and not feel so lonely and isolated. How many people(not just aspie's) would still be single if it weren't for the net, I wouldn't have met my husband (and most of my boyfriends) if it were not for the net.

That's how I met a lot of people as well. I didn't really consider being on the spectrum for a while.. until about 2 years ago. But before that, I just went into chatrooms, talked to people a bit, sometimes ended up having them on IM and eventually meet someone here or there. To me it felt like it was "normal" to meet people online like that. I never really had the urge to go out and talk to people that much. I should add, that because about 10 years ago I was vocalist for a local band people would come over and talk to me, so I didn't really have to initiate contact a lot. But still in general, I never wanted to just go out at a bar and talk to people for social reasons and making new friends.

It's a mixed bag.

On one hand, I am old enough to remember what it was like to live without all this "social media" and I think in many ways it was a lot harder for us back then. A lot of people didn't know what autism or Asperger's was, there was very little support education-wise. Society was not as tolerant back then, either. It was a lot easier to institutionalize and forget about those who didn't fit the norm. Most NT's have no clue what it is like to live with the knowledge that if you didn't toe the line your freedom could be taken away from you for good.

Dr. Temple Grandin, who is ten years older than me, was extremely lucky that she had a family willing to accept and tolerate her quirks and allow her to develop her own solutions like her squeeze chute. As the movie about her life shows, not everyone around her was open-minded about her devices. She is another lucky one who could have wound up in a mental hospital or a home.

On the down side, I agree with Dr. Grandin that it seems like more and more autistic kids are being given a free pass socially as far as public behavior is concerned; anything goes if you are autistic. I was held to very strict standards and while I may have chafed at them at times, I am able to hold a job and support myself. It seems that in asking society to tolerate some aspects of our behavior we have made a devil's bargain with society: yes, they will look the other way at meltdowns and tiptoe around us as to not upset anything but as far as anything meaningful like education or jobs--forget it! Like it or not we are all being judged by the actions of a few.

Loving these replies. Some good ol' AC branstorming :D

Oh, and I can't turn off my phone because I can get called into work at anytime.

That's how I met a lot of people as well. I didn't really consider being on the spectrum for a while.. until about 2 years ago. But before that, I just went into chatrooms, talked to people a bit, sometimes ended up having them on IM and eventually meet someone here or there. To me it felt like it was "normal" to meet people online like that. I never really had the urge to go out and talk to people that much. I should add, that because about 10 years ago I was vocalist for a local band people would come over and talk to me, so I didn't really have to initiate contact a lot. But still in general, I never wanted to just go out at a bar and talk to people for social reasons and making new friends.

My situation worked against me - I was late to the web; for a long time there was only 1 desktop, and everyone else in the house was always using it, my brother monopolizing most of the time. Most of my musical contacts were from a sign on the wall at the guitar shops or classified ads. Needless to say even if I had a way to get me and my stuff around then most other musicians would still get me discouraged. Even though I built up a fully equipped practice/recording room there were few prospects. I ended up being relegated to bass in situations where some other person always wrote all the songs, and therefore not truly the kind of music I wanted to play. 99% of the after-gig was always spent humping the band's gear back to the truck so the next band could go on, who would come out so loud over the PA that talking was impossible

I suppose real life interaction carried over into how I approach cyberspace. Much like I am incapable of going to a random stranger and striking up a conversation, the times I have tried chat I've felt like I was interrupting or just got talked over. IMs have a reverse effect on me, I find it takes a lot of energy to keep up when the other party is rapid firing. Facebook as far as I am concerned, the NTs took over; I wish a day would go by that I didn't have to hear about some FB related drama or the posting equivalent of when people would take photos of themselves with sticky film, and plaster them all over their belongings.

Regarding today's diagnosee's, I can see the case with my half-brother who is full blown autie; he is enabled to the point beyond not funny. When he does or says things I would have done, there is a lot more 'understanding' to go around these days. Things I would have been grounded for, sent to room, loss of privileges/extra chores, the Belt or cutting a switch from a tree results in a timeout or gets his DVDs taken away for an hour. Serious breaches of boundaries call for being told 'no Disneyland next week' for the rest of that day. You can't make this stuff up. But what it's all led to is incidents in public that come very close to drawing the attention of authorities. For me to have a very real loss of personal freedom in a psych facility at 12 does have its blessings; that I learned to a degree what the NT world expects, I may have easily been manipulated into heinous acts. Where do I go with that? That maybe sometimes pain can be a gesture of love and understanding

Oh, and I can't turn off my phone because I can get called into work at anytime.
Does your phone have call divert/call barring options on it? With alot of phones you can select to divert or bar calls from certain numbers, so for a temporary fix you could divert all non work calls to voicemail.

Or for an even easier fix have one ringtone for work numbers and another for non work and just don't answer the non work ones and be all "Oh I left my phone at home/work, sorry" the next time you speak to whoever tried to call you.

My situation worked against me - I was late to the web; for a long time there was only 1 desktop, and everyone else in the house was always using it, my brother monopolizing most of the time. Most of my musical contacts were from a sign on the wall at the guitar shops or classified ads. Needless to say even if I had a way to get me and my stuff around then most other musicians would still get me discouraged. Even though I built up a fully equipped practice/recording room there were few prospects. I ended up being relegated to bass in situations where some other person always wrote all the songs, and therefore not truly the kind of music I wanted to play. 99% of the after-gig was always spent humping the band's gear back to the truck so the next band could go on, who would come out so loud over the PA that talking was impossible

I suppose real life interaction carried over into how I approach cyberspace. Much like I am incapable of going to a random stranger and striking up a conversation, the times I have tried chat I've felt like I was interrupting or just got talked over. IMs have a reverse effect on me, I find it takes a lot of energy to keep up when the other party is rapid firing. Facebook as far as I am concerned, the NTs took over; I wish a day would go by that I didn't have to hear about some FB related drama or the posting equivalent of when people would take photos of themselves with sticky film, and plaster them all over their belongings.

I remember the classifieds at shops around here, used to put some up myself sometimes to find new people for a musical project. I never put on my phonenumber though, just my email. Though most people I got in touch with were through school. I usually ended up in conversations with most kids who played instruments (and that's pretty much all the people I got in touch with for a weird reason; they all thought I played guitar and all cause of my looks and all I guess)

As for the internet and computers; I've got my first computer when I was 14 (I'm 29 now) and I don't have any siblings. We never had dial-up, thus we went straight for broadband, when I was around 18 or 19.

I don't engage in a lot of IM convo's either. I just talk to those who I get in touch with anyway, and not go into random chatter anymore. If I don't have anything to say, I just wont go on. Usually I'm annoyed by IM in that it's exhausting for me to wait until a person responds. Either go on in rapid fire mode, and make it 10 intense minutes or just don't talk to me at all. I'm only chatting and not doing other things, and if people can't keep up with the conversation because they are doing other things they're wasting my time. And at some point I just want to quit and go on do other things like say... play guitar, paint, play a game... all things where I can't have a background chat going on because that would mean that I would have to quit my activity, say something and pick it up again.. that doesn't work for me like that.

I'm thankful for technology because I can socialize somewhat without the sensory stimuli involved in going out all the time. It keeps me from going totally into isolation mode.
But if I'm not in the mood, or I AM out doing something, my phone could beep and people get mad when I don't respond. Barely anyone texts me anymore but it used to be overwhelming. Then there's facebook, and other things.

But the good outweighs the bad really because I can at least go to college online at some point; traditional college is awful for me.

This technology has saved me to a degree, that is, it has created a positive conduit of informal socialization that suits me.

Coming to this site (or a site like Facebook) gives me a glimpse into others' lives and thoughts whereas, without this, I might feel truly alone.

I adore my computer and think the Internet is a wonderful invention. For someone like me, it has become a necessity.

I am OK with texting these days but I tend to still write out the whole words, and I can easily find myself monologuing there as well! My cell was the victim of a meltdown a few days ago, I am working on getting it replaced - although I feel in not such a hurry, I am growing a bit anxious that I am losing calls that supplement my income. But the whole texting thing, I understand where a lot of it was when they charged by each character sent and received, that doesn't change my disdain for the cutesy shorthand, though I will randomly fall into it when I feel like passing for a NT

Earlier I was over on WP and landed on a thread a something-other-than-mild posted. The way he was able to access today's technology to say everything he wanted to say touched me deeply. If I were to be standing in a room with him he might only be able to verbalize 11 words but online he comes out like a motivational speaker. I thought of how easily he could be my half-brother, who is still enabled to death, but might be able to strike a presence if he had something to tell the world.

Lately I've seemed to have replaced my Wikipedia obsession with being a little more social, being here for one. Much like seeing the car you just bought everywhere suddenly, I see that meltdowns and stimming are nothing to be ashamed of, even for someone tan, somewhat athletic and somewhat handsome <g>
In all seriousness, since coming to these 'rooms' I feel the interest kicking in and there's a sense of making up for lost time but when other interests come and go I would hate to think; now that I've found my flock, that visiting these sites fade in intensity

I do know this: I can come here and say something in 2 seconds what it would take to tell my most understanding good friend in 10 minutes, and even though I know he will not judge, some things I wouldn't feel comfortable saying

Had I been born 50 years ago, I likely would have been either institutionalized or placed within some kind of support system (special education, etc.) for those with developmental disabilities. I wasn't born an aspie, nope - I had the full blown set of symptoms and behaviors you would expect from a child diagnosed with autistic disorder, so of course it would make sense that given the scarce knowledge about the autism spectrum back then like many others I would have been assumed to be mentally challenged as well as autistic. Two strikes against me, like beating down someone who's already on the ground. Temple Grandin, whom I can relate to more than anyone else, would have likely suffered the same fate had she not had the extensive support given to her by her family and mentors.

Flash forward to today, and it's clear that many of these people, like myself, are relying on modern technology to communicate their thoughts, wants, needs, etc. and as it turns out many of them are quite capable, far from "challenged" in many cases. I think a lot of the perceptions about autistics have changed over the years, due in part to the aforementioned and modern research which is giving us more insight into these disorders. As for opportunities, though, I think most of those have dried up and yeah, it is tougher now to accomodate everyone who needs support. Speaking for myself, I pretty much had ti suck it up and dive head first into the water (if that makes any sense to anyone here) - I've currently put 5 years into pretty much an entry level job and so far so good though I think I should aim higher. I think I'll save that for another day though, if ever.

A very interesting thread. Thank you, Dolby, for kicking it off.

I, too, am old enough to remember what life was like before computers, never mind mobile devices. For me, things are better with the Internet. Before, I would have had to pursue my special interests only through reading books, periodicals or magazines. I own literally hundreds of books which I bought before I had Internet access (I first got it at home in the 90s). But I have still learned more in less time through the Internet than I could have though books.

I never had friends that shared my interests before Internet forums, but forums and other focused sites have allowed me to develop friendships online, some of which developed into friendships IRL.

Before the internet, life for me was lonely and isolated. This is infinitely better.

Had I been born 50 years ago, I likely would have been either institutionalized or placed within some kind of support system (special education, etc.) for those with developmental disabilities. I wasn't born an aspie, nope - I had the full blown set of symptoms and behaviors you would expect from a child diagnosed with autistic disorder, so of course it would make sense that given the scarce knowledge about the autism spectrum back then like many others I would have been assumed to be mentally challenged as well as autistic. Two strikes against me, like beating down someone who's already on the ground. Temple Grandin, whom I can relate to more than anyone else, would have likely suffered the same fate had she not had the extensive support given to her by her family and mentors.

Flash forward to today, and it's clear that many of these people, like myself, are relying on modern technology to communicate their thoughts, wants, needs, etc. and as it turns out many of them are quite capable, far from "challenged" in many cases. I think a lot of the perceptions about autistics have changed over the years, due in part to the aforementioned and modern research which is giving us more insight into these disorders. As for opportunities, though, I think most of those have dried up and yeah, it is tougher now to accomodate everyone who needs support. Speaking for myself, I pretty much had ti suck it up and dive head first into the water (if that makes any sense to anyone here) - I've currently put 5 years into pretty much an entry level job and so far so good though I think I should aim higher. I think I'll save that for another day though, if ever.
Had I been born 50 years earlier I probably would have been married with children, never held a job (unless we were poor and then it would have been menial "woman's work"), I would have been depressed and unhappy, just as I have been prior to learning about my AS. My options would have been so limited I imagine that I would have found a way to self medicate (as I did when I was younger). I doubt I would have been institutionalized, because women are generally pressured to function socially from a very early age and I've been a good student. I can function for limited amounts of time among the NTs, even if I don't understand how their world works. I would have led an isolated life, I think, because I am unable to engage in the sort of small talk that women often engage in. Things are much better for women now. Now it is more acceptable to be different, even for women.

Kinda been thinking about this at work today. The last 50 years have been a massive step forward with long-distance connection and technology overall. Cell phones, internet, satellites. It's almost impossible to "escape". One of my biggest AS traits is that I can be a social butterfly in short spans of time but I NEED to get away and be by myself very often. Cell phones make that somewhat difficult to do, and there's countless more examples for other scenarios with current technology.

Do you think aspies 50 years ago had an easier time being themselves or no difference?

It's funny you should raise this, I was only just thinking that all this technology makes it easier - not harder - for Aspies to remain isolated if they desire. The Internet allows them to telecommute and to use email instead of the phone. I very rarely use my cell phone for actual calls, but text and email people instead. The problem for Aspies 50 years ago is that if they were diagnosed with anything it was misdiagnoses for things like schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, since the medical profession only recognised lower-functioning (and I apologise if that comes across as derogatory) autism. Since undiagnosed Aspies 50 years ago didn't know they had a condition called Aspergers, they were more likely to just get on with things as best they could and compensate for their deficits.

However, while the increased opportunities to remain socially isolated these days might reduce anxiety, it also provides less opportunities to deal with social withdrawal, which means we don't get the opportunities to conquer that anxiety.

Last edited:
In the spirituality of the Catholic Church, many aspie traits were traditionally highly valued. If you read old biographies of many Catholic saints, aspie-like qualities are highly stressed. For instance, extreme introversion and obsessiveness and withdrawal from social circles all valued as allowing the person to focus intensely on God...(some saints also showing literal interpretations of things people said to them.)

But now, in Catholic circles, the mood has really changed, and there is a huge emphasis on social stuff, social skills.

That is a very interesting point about Catholic saints having many Aspie traits. "Story of a Soul" by St. Therese of Lisieux is a classic example. It seems in some instances that convents and monasteries served as a refuge from the world for those who couldn't handle living in the world.

However, since Vatican II, there has been a shift in the way the Church views things, and once-valued traits are now seen as indicators of mental health problems. From what I know of convent life today, many of these same saints would have a very hard time getting accepted or being allowed to stay. Several nuns have told me that the convent is no place to go if you are trying to escape from life, that the social pressures inside are even more intense than on the outside, and because of new awareness about psychology it is much harder to enter religious life. As one nun said, "You don't chose the convent, the convent chooses you."

New Threads

Top Bottom