• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tobacco anyone?

2010Dolby

V.I.P Member
Anybody else here use tobacco? Smokers, dippers, chewers, snuffers, snussers.

PS- DONT START USING TOBACCO! Its terribly expensive and a difficult to give it up.

Just wondering if anyone else already does?

Used to regularly smoke, chew and snort tobacco.

Now, the only time I feel like smoking is while drinking. I quite enjoy smoking cigarettes and, especially, cigars while drinking.

I'm especially fond of Captain Black Sweets, which are a cheap and good cigar:

fd26a_CAPTAIN-BLACK-Sweets.jpg

Last edited:
Iv never liked cigars. They always make me nauseus. I smoke marlboro reds regularly and dip either copenhagen or grizzly but Im trying to switch from smoking to dip permanently because my lungs are starting to hurt.

When I was still a regular smoker, I smoked Benson and Hedges. I also smoked Dunhill now and again. I found Dunhill to have a milder, smoother taste that B&H, but I preferred B&H because I like that extra bite.

I hated Marlboro with a passion, and also menthol cigarettes. In fact, I smoked menthol cigarettes as aversion therapy when I was trying to quit.

Nowadays, I smoke very occasionally, and usually whatever cigarette people offer - unless it's a menthol or Marlboro, of course. My boyfriend smokes rolled cigarettes and I think I preferred them over pre-rolled cigs.

I used to smoke regularly, back and forth between Camel Turkish Royal or Turkish Silvers.
Then I had quit for a while.

I was rather impressed at how easy it was to quit, but I did really enjoy it, so I don't mind it being an occasional stress relief now.
I really love these at the moment:

View attachment 2044

I started though with Botschafter Vanilla, which were a bit pricey but I really liked them as a sort of treat. Now they're banned, it seems.
View attachment 2045

I really only like nice cigarettes, I hate Marlboros and I never resorted to anything I felt was cheap or bad quality. I don't know if that's better or worse...heh.

Nah, I never did smoke or anything... I tried it though.

I had friends who smoked in high school so they gave me a cig and I did finish it... but I didn't really care about it. I tried a cigar ones.... tasted better than a cigarette, but no... I kinda kept telling myself, this is an expensive habit, and I'm all against having these kind of habits, lol.

I used to smoke 20 cigarettes a day until I quit nearly 5 yrs ago in my late 30s. I gave up purely for health reasons although when I'm having a few beers I still get the urge to smoke. There is no way I would ever start again because I think I'm too old to get away with it healthwise.

I've been a fairly heavy smoker for a while, and I've rolled my own most of that time. I've used American Spirit, Drum, Bali, and other kinds of tobacco (Bugler is questionable, and never, ever go anywhere near Top). American Spirit I had to give up because it was just harsh and nasty and the papers were awful. Drum has been my poison of choice lately; I bought a tin of Bali the other day - a brand I haven't smoked in a while - but I'm not quite sold on it.

And I don't use a machine or anything; I roll them by hand, something I can do while walking in the dark drunk. And I can't stand filters. They make me feel like I'm inhaling cotton.

As for cigars...ew. Never liked 'em. I haven't tried chewing tobacco, but it looks gross and I think my teeth would hate me for it. To treat myself I used to buy the occasional pack of Djarum Blacks. You can no longer buy clove cigarettes in the States, but this summer my brother made his own clove tobacco which was quite yummy. (Can't smoke that stuff all the time, though.)

I really only like nice cigarettes, I hate Marlboros and I never resorted to anything I felt was cheap or bad quality. I don't know if that's better or worse...heh.

Marlboros are like gas station bathrooms. Unless you really need it, they're best avoided.

I've been an on and off smoker for years, last time I quit was a few weeks ago.
With cigarettes I have no standards and no shame: my only requirement is being able to put my hands on it for free.
I usually chain smoke for 40-60 minutes, usually at night, better with music.
Sometimes, when I felt really really bad, I could smoke for two hours in a row. My body adapts very quickly to it, so after a while I didn't even notice it.
I'm glad I never smoke for more than 3-4 months.

I used to smoke upwards of 1 to 1-1/4 pack a day, funny since I started late in life (22). Not related to the topic, but I've also smoked quite a few bowls and joints of marijuana, though I won't even delve into that whole debate here. Dolby is right about tobacco, however - unless you enjoy expensive, time consuming habits don't start. Ever. Most of the stuff you hear about retail cigarettes may or may not be tossed around propaganda, but eventually it will catch up to you in terms of overall health and well being. Ask half my family.

Only now am I attempting (emphasis on attempting, I still switch back and forth between the real deal) to quit with the use of e-cigarettes and I'm still doing poorly. Maybe one day I'll achieve my ultimate goal but until then that's my personal best.

Last edited:
Only now am I attempting (emphasis on attempting, I still switch back and forth between the real deal) to quit with the use of e-cigarettes and I'm still doing poorly. Maybe one day I'll achieve my ultimate goal but until then that's my personal best.

I've tried to quit several times, and it was complicated by the fact that the anxious irritability that comes with quitting was bringing back flashbacks of a past trauma. For the time being I've decided it's better to not worry about the habit rather than hate myself for trying to quit and not being able to. I think the success rate of quitting smoking is in the single-digit percentages.

smoked a few of my friends benson and hedges, coughed a lot, didnt like it, then tried a few more times, bought my own, became addicted, then found how much better richmond menthol king size tasted, so small and tightly packed! So I smoked them for over a year, quit october 2010, ever since then I've been tight chested, wheezing at times, feel like someones sat on my chest, get out of breath talking sometimes too, can never take a deep full breath, especially after eating big meals. Even have to collapse on floor sometimes if I run up the stairs too fast, kinda doing a gasping for breath thing. But weird thing is, I can still run a fifty minute 10k once my lungs and body get warmed up so to speak, feel less out of breath when im exercising than I do when im sitting down! Felt good whilst smoking until one day I had chest tightness which wouldnt go away until I'd smoked, and two days after I quit these symptoms started up. Defo because of smoking, but I have no issue with people who want to smoke, because I know how nice it is to wake up, roll one up or go outside and puff away, just something about it felt good.

I smoke tobacco, mainly because it's much cheaper than cigarettes, I usually go for Drum or Gold Leaf, they have a nice dry texture. I don't smoke a lot though, max 10 a day, and usually only 3 or 4, and I try to balance it out by exercising and eating well. I enjoy smoking, it relaxes me and gives me something to do with my hands, plus rolling improved my motor skills no end! I don't really like the idea of quitting, not because I'm addicted, but because it's part of my routine now, get up, coffee, smoke, cereal, college... hasn't changed for over a year, and I don't think it will in the forseeable future, even if it is bad for my health.

For what it's worth, I started smoking as a way to deal with PTSD...and it worked. And I know what you mean, Laura. I find the routine comforting.

I smoked for 2 years.
I got bronchitis frequently.
As it turns out, I am very allergic to tobacco.
It amazes and grosses me out that I ever did smoke,
but my parents both smoked and it seemed like I should, too.

It's unpleasant to smell the dirty ashtray aroma of people who smoke.
It makes a bad taste in my mouth.
Also it affects my brain.
My cousin has quit smoking cigarettes.
Now he has a nicotine delivery system.
When he sucks on that it sounds quite like a baby animal slurping.
It seems pathetic that he is still addicted.

My sister quit smoking.
That was good because it means I can go into her house (as long
as she hasn't been cooking any tomatoes or potatoes. They are both
nightshades. Tobacco is a nightshade, too. All of the nightshades bother
me severely. Joint pain, sinus pain, muscle pain, ear aches,
mental confusion/depression.)

I hold my breath when I am in the grocery store parking lot, so that
I can get past people sitting next to the building, on break, smoking.

Short answer: I avoid tobacco and people who use it.

Last edited:
Tobacco almost killed me 13 years ago. I had a heart attack at 56. I was told that if I didn't quit tobacco right away, that I'd be dead in 6 months. It is a lot easier to quit with the proper motivation. In the next few years I had another heart attack and bladder cancer. All because of smoking. I am still here because I quit after that first heart attack. It is my hope that any tobacco users reading this would be motivated to quit. It is much worse for you than you think. If you use tobacco and continue to use it, you will die before you should.

I've never used the stuff. I've never felt a moral standpoint for or against it either despite growing up with my mom going out on the porch to smoke, my dad always dipping, and my grandmother making all sorts of sin- and cancer-stick comments. How I turned out neutral is beyond me.

Never touched it either until after I got married. My first time handling a cigarette was to pass one to my husband from the other side of the vehicle, and I haven't held one since because he quit not long after. He dips, and one time I got a taste of it because he didn't rinse out his mouth well one afternoon. That stuff is spicy! How can he put that in his mouth all day long and then complain about my chili?? o_O

I smoked for several years as a prop - I felt less conspicuous if I had to lurk around outside a venue to escape crowds and noise if, like many others going outside for a puff, I had a reason to.
More recently, as smoking has become so much less popular, I stopped as I began to feel more awkward again.. incidentally, I realised that the craving for a smoke was just a thought in my mind, a psychological addiction, not really a chemical addiction - the nicotine craving actually stops after 2-3 days - the tricky part is adjusting to the new routine, going through the day without all those little comfort breaks; abolishing that thought completely took me about 2 weeks and I haven't fancied a fag since, in 2 years.
I read a book on CBT in which the author expresses the viewpoint on quitting I tried and experienced above - if we're told smoking is hard to quit and we need tablets, patches, e-cigarettes, etc, to do so, then we believe it'll be hard and we subsequently find it hard to do so.. if we believe it's easy, then why shouldn't it be? It is!
I have a friend who used an e-cigarette to stop smoking and has been psychologically addicted to it for over a year. It may remove the tobacco element, but it's still so close to smoking a cigarette that I don't feel he's loads better off and he still has the odd smoke when he's feeling stressed as the move back to the similar behaviour is an easy one.

The downside of puberty for me. Cigarette smoke became completely toxic to me around thirteen years of age. Took a few years to convince my mother not to smoke in the house any more.

Fire up a joint around me and no problem. Light up a cigarette and it's strictly a matter of flight. I had other sensory issues I was born with, but none are anywhere near as problematic as cigarette smoke.

New Threads

Top Bottom