• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tobacco anyone?

My mom is a nurse, my stepfather is a doctor, and dumbass me started smoking for the first time at age 42. What a stupid thing to do! I first did it as an angle to get to know someone who had a weird distrust of nonsmokers, figuring I wouldn't be doing it enough to develop a habit. Then I started working for him, then dating him. What an idiot.

I just quit a couple of months ago for a certain someone in my life who has COPD. I needed a better reason than my own health, the nasty smell or the insane expense, apparently. :confused:

I had no trouble quitting; no withdrawals, very little struggle with the psychological aspects. Smoking did help with anxiety, which I miss. Alas, weed does nothing for me at all or I might be inclined to indulge occasionally, when I want to watch smoke curling lazily upwards. I always found that soothing.

I wonder if incense would satisfy a need to watch thin trails of smoke? It smells nicer. I don't know how it reacts with COPD though.

I wonder if incense would satisfy a need to watch thin trails of smoke? It smells nicer. I don't know how it reacts with COPD though.

Smoke in general will aggravate the lungs in COPD. I was a 'bit' of a pyromaniac but since the COPD kicked in I have had to stop. Lighting candles is now my limit, or being upwind of outside fires.

I'm allergic to all incense. It's kept me out of a lot of cool shops since I was a teenager. :emojiconfused:

We need to have a completely smoke-free environment, like H said. That's fine. My environment has been smoke-free for all but three years of my life anyway. It's actually good to be back to it.

Verrrrry bad suggestion then. No incense. :sweatsmile:

How about a computer screen saver then? I have one that does pretty snowfall.

Pumping my lungs with carcinogens? Becoming addicted to a substance that will enslave you, slowly but surely eating away at your pocket and health until your premature death? No thanks!

My mom is a nurse, my stepfather is a doctor, and dumbass me started smoking for the first time at age 42. What a stupid thing to do! I first did it as an angle to get to know someone who had a weird distrust of nonsmokers, figuring I wouldn't be doing it enough to develop a habit. Then I started working for him, then dating him. What an idiot.

I just quit a couple of months ago for a certain someone in my life who has COPD. I needed a better reason than my own health, the nasty smell or the insane expense, apparently. :confused:

I had no trouble quitting; no withdrawals, very little struggle with the psychological aspects. Smoking did help with anxiety, which I miss. Alas, weed does nothing for me at all or I might be inclined to indulge occasionally, when I want to watch smoke curling lazily upwards. I always found that soothing.

Have you tried vaping? It's how I quit smoking. you get e-juice which is a flavouring agent in a mixture of propylene glycol and vegetable glycol, there are some AMAZING flavours and you get the nice time out watching smoke drift appeal of tobacco with no nicotine. I swear by it.

Have you tried vaping? It's how I quit smoking. you get e-juice which is a flavouring agent in a mixture of propylene glycol and vegetable glycol, there are some AMAZING flavours and you get the nice time out watching smoke drift appeal of tobacco with no nicotine. I swear by it.

This I do not know about.
My cousin sucks on a nicotine delivery system, a cartridge. No smoke.
People are trying to bring their E-cigs into the grocery stores.
I don't know that either of these alternates are safe for me to be around.

And I don't know anything at all about what you are describing.
[Except for having used propylene glycol with goats that had no appetite
due to ketosis.]

Thanks for the testimonial/idea. I'm not really liking anything I'm reading a e-cigs/vaping, lately. I tried Blu once, and it made me asthmatic (I don't actually have asthma). After learning that asthma and chronic lung inflammation (among other things) are turning up in a fair number of devoted vapers, I decided not to try another brand. There may be more bad news about vaping coming further down the line as enough time passes to see long-term effects. I don't want to find out about this stuff the hard way. To each his/her own. I'm glad it got you off tobacco/nicotine, and that you enjoy it with no side effects.

^ this

exactly how I quit smoking as well. I've been vaping for the last two years and haven't touched a single cigarette since. I'd advise anyone not to start vaping AND smoking together though. BUT...if you're looking for an alternative that isn't a patch or gum, vaping is a good place to start. The e-juice most vendors carry usually comes in different nicotine dosages, so you can gradually ween yourself off of it with a bit of patience and willpower if you're looking to quit altogether.

"...although the industry marketing of the product implies that these products are harmless,
the aerosol that ESD emit is not purely water vapor."
http://no-smoke.org/pdf/ecigarette-secondhand-aerosol.pdf

I may get to visit my mother & sister this fall, so I am trying to find out whether
it will be safe for me to be around my cousin. He uses a simple device, a white cartridge,
that delivers nicotine. No existentially appealing exhalation of vapor/smoke , no
yum-yum flavors. Just the nicotine hit.

So he's still addicted.
And he is too prone to manufacture facts ad lib for me to rely on his say-so.

I smoke, but at home I use an e-cigarette most of time so, only 2 packs a week of the real things. When I was performing, i smoked more. Smoking doe affect my voice and, I sound better if I have recently had a cigarette. I am addicted to nicotine, i won't deny the truth and, I will never quit using nicotine but, I have reduced the regular cigarettes significantly in the last five years.

My preferred brand is Camel but, right now Marlboros are 2.00 less per pack at my local store, so, Marlboro it is for now.

New Threads

Top Bottom